mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGSplatmaster View Post
I don't understand what you're arguing here. Who are the exclusionary players? Is your focus on tournament organizers who should be giving this special recognition to people who don't use "modern electropneumatic guns"?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDriver
Perhaps exclusionary players should try to function in the general populace to the point where their selected gear is NOT detrimental to their play, or enjoyment of the game. If you excel, more of the herd will naturally gravitate to you and WANT to be part of what you have, rather than shun it and degrade it (see CCM Factory).
I think a fair number of us do this all the time at the recball level, just not on the tournament level. We take a lot of pride in holding our own with the electro crowd and even more when we are able to convert a few to try pump technology (at least I do). In fact the NE MCB pump crowd make it a point at our annual OSG game to have a fun match against the local walk-on groups to challenge ourselves and display our antiquated technology. It is usually well received and stirs a lot if interest.

I just think this is part of the larger question of where is competitive paintball is headed... and honestly there are numerous threads about this direction already. My two cents is that the market has spoken on the current "resurgence" of rec play / woodsball. It may change direction again later in the future, but for my part, I'll be slinging paint with my snipers or brass with whomever comes out to the rec field on that given Sunday.

Remember: Paintball is fun!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I find high rate of fire, unlimited paint paintball BORING.

I can hold my own using a stock class gun against electros or AT pumps with Rotors. I don't want to.

Last time I did, most of the game I kept my head down, taking an occasional shot that either connected or didn't, followed by ducking and hearing 500 paintballs make a mess on the front of my bunker. Lather, rinse, repeat.

*YAWN*

Game ends (we won), I decide to go home, pick up my fishing gear and go do something I enjoy.

To each their own but I won't be playing any more paintball that isn't "exclusive". It bores the arse off me.
^ This but for fishing.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I find high rate of fire, unlimited paint paintball BORING.

I can hold my own using a stock class gun against electros or AT pumps with Rotors. I don't want to.

Last time I did, most of the game I kept my head down, taking an occasional shot that either connected or didn't, followed by ducking and hearing 500 paintballs make a mess on the front of my bunker. Lather, rinse, repeat.

*YAWN*

Game ends (we won), I decide to go home, pick up my fishing gear and go do something I enjoy.

To each their own but I won't be playing any more paintball that isn't "exclusive". It bores the arse off me.
Perfect^

I'm out there to have fun, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone

It's a ****ing game where I run around in the mud and shoot gelatin at other people, not exactly fear inducing...

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDriver View Post
Context of my opinion pertains to organized tournament play.
Brent
Topic line should reflect this at the very least then.

Quote:
Maybe look outside the box a little, and possibly devise a plan for contingency rules that reward podium finishes with additional prizes should certain gear be used.
So instead of exclusionary rules, have exclusionary prizes...

Mmmkay then.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I sort of agree with the OP. Tournament play is hurting for participation. Dividing that small group into smaller sub-sections is not a particularly good idea. I think what most people are really trying to with limiting technology, is reverting back to a time when tournament paintball was played at a slower pace. In reality, the handicap should not be technology, but rather ROF and/or a maximum amount of paintballs shot during a game. That's why pump works, because pump is limiting enough that the ROF is not insane. Yes, some guys can shoot pumps faster than others, but there is a still a reasonable limit that anyone can shoot a pump at.

Limiting by ROF is s tricky issue, as we all know. Even with modern technology being able to police ROF to a degree, it's not particularly easy to do and not that hard to cheat on, if a player wants to. Therefore, in my opinion, unless it's a pump tournament (and even then sometimes), a maximum amount of paintballs a player or team can carry onto a field is the best way to control the environment, if a slower paced tourney environment is what is desired. If you want to add a ROF restriction as well to that, go for it. Just know that some people will try to cheat that part of it.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Tournament play is hurting for participation.
And *why* is that, exactly?
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
And *why* is that, exactly?
I can only give you my opinion. It's two fold. First, there are many that don't play because the game has gotten too extreme (it excludes many that would play if the game were less extreme). Second, Many of those that don't mind the way the game is played today, can't afford to play the game the way it's played today.

In my opinion (and again, this only my opinion), the tournament play would have many more participants if it were dumbed down some (for lack of a better term). The best solution for tournament paintball to increase participation is to dumb it down. This would make the game more affordable, encourage those not taking part because it's too extreme in it's current state, and let's be honest, those playing tournament paintball the way it is played today, for the most part are still going to play if forced to play a in a more limiting format (less paintballs). Tournament paintball would not die if for instance, the power at large were to say that teams could only shoot "X" amount of paintball each game. They might grumble and complain, but most would continue playing. Add that to the number that would now take up tournament play, participation would be considerably higher. Basically, technology (and not limiting paintballs), has gone beyond the point of highest participation rate.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Brent
so you are saying more people should impose mechanical limitations upon themselves in electro-filled tournaments, with no incentive from the tournament hosts, for no reason other than to draw more players to play mech?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Brent
I don't see either proposed 'tournament' as anything but extended, organized rec ball with brackets. No one is suggesting that these formats should compete with NPPL or PSP.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
My basic question is why do players want other players to limit themselves? If you enjoy that gun, why can't you just go shoot it and be happy? If you can find a team's worth of like-minded individuals, why not form a team and play within the established realm of tournament play?
The biggest reasons are that it is an idea that people who are starting early at playing paintball can play, and not worry about a team with Spyders and Tippmanns aren't trying to compete against Planet Eclipses and DYEs. You get people playing against others with the same beginner equipment. Plus some people like playing with that kind of gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGSplatmaster View Post
During what I believe was the 2006 or 2007 season, Tippmann Effect (which turned into Rhythm, who ended up playing Division 1 and AXBL) was doing pretty well in PSP Division 3 X Ball. A lot of people saw this success and saw it as proof that the gear was competitive. While blowback technology has really improved lately, let's not kid ourselves. A mechanical gun without eyes operating on mid to high pressure at very high rates of fire is a disaster waiting to happen. One ball break turns into a bunch. Thick paint will actually inhibit movement of the front bolt on a Tippmann so badly that the gun will not cycle. The players on the team just happened to be very good. When you put "normal" guns in their hands, it increased their potential.
That is a bad example. As TE had Matrixes stuffed into those 98s, not normal Tippmanns. Bad Company had Spyders, but they stuffed Bob Long Intimidators into their markers.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone