mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The vintage one is the hardest of the bunch

That being said look at the current equipment rules for the "mainstream" tournaments and tell me they are not complex. Unless they have simplified them they were complex as well.
Complex, but easily defined. And quickly verified by a young or inexperienced official by standard and measurable means.
Like the pump limitation.
Look at limited paint for instance. The old Pan-Am format was great, but do any of you actually thing we only carried 200 rounds on us? You know how much paint was stashed in bunkers or on the tape?
It was so bad the first year you could actually just reach under any old bunker and have a 50% chance of finding a pod. Or, "is that a pod or are you just happy to see me?" How many reffs are willing to do a crotch grab to find paint? Nobody I knew.
So how do you minimize that? As an organizer, you simply sell X amount of paint to the whole team to be split anyway they wish. Shoot it all the first game if you want. Give the back guy all of it if you want, nobody cares. Run out of paint the last elim game? Better play your *** off and not let the other team know.
Brent.

Last edited by MassDriver; 12-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
MassDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
Let's not get into bashing on either side here. We're all mature enough to have a civil conversation on the sport we love I would hope.
Spirit of my post.
Bunch of buds, round table, drinking beer and eating pizza.
But without the table. Or pizza. Or beer. Damn.
Brent.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
pump snob

Played in the right setting paintball can be a great way to enjoy spending time with friends doing something of similar interest. I've personally noticed by restricting the tech and the paint the game is generally much more civilized.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's funny you mention this I've been trying to figure out how to take the arms race out of it and make it balanced.. I've figured it out "league" must be centered around 1 or two things either paint consumption, or a particular marker unmodified. The two formats i have come up with are.
1st, 90 round games any marker any loader any tank.
2nd, 1 marker preferably cheap enough that everyone interested can buy one Fortunately Spyder has recently provided me with that marker. The hammer7 no modifications allowed to the drive train. routing asa's or stock factory options allowed. I see no benifit to running a rotor on this.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassDriver View Post
The RT and warp are vintage.
The Shoebox shocker is vintage.
The Angel LED is vintage.
The CCM cockers are not vintage, but Belsales are.
The Palmer guns are vintage, but the Blazer is not.
The cocker hinge is not vintage.
The RT cocker is vintage.
There were homade HALO's before they were commercial, and they looked like revvys.
Intellifeed is vintage.
It is never easy.
It's easy to SAY, not easy to actually impliment.
That's funny. Blazers started in 1996. So it falls under vintage, if by vintage, you mean anything before a certain date that includes the Angel LED and Both PVI and Smart Parts Shockers.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
That's funny. Blazers started in 1996. So it falls under vintage, if by vintage, you mean anything before a certain date that includes the Angel LED and Both PVI and Smart Parts Shockers.
No, you are right. I was thinking about the way Craig makes them now, which is a vast improvement over the older ones.
But my point is, defining vintage, where is the cutoff? Having a "vintage" game does not solve the arms race, as it were.
Brent.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

why do you even want mech players to play in tourneys? the way i see it the tourneys themselves wanted to keep mechs out in the first place with how their rules used to be written (read: high rof)

now they got what they wanted.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
MCB's Resident Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
This might take a couple of post but let me try to catch up.
A few main points:
1. Limiting what other players use in the game will not make your playing experience better. It won't.
2. By enacting more rules you complicate the process of organised competition, making it more stressful and less efficient.

[...Truncated for brevity...]

Brent.
Wrong on both counts.

1. I do not want to play electro-powered sling fests... all the time. They are a different kind of game. I do not want to play that game... all the time. Sometimes I want to play limited paint... it is a different kind of game. When my group plays outback paintball, we typically play hopper ball, just because it's easier to hump around the woods without a pack, and it saves money. As a result, some of us pull out the Carbines and Pro-Lites cause hey, suddenly it makes no difference, and the old stuff is cool. And the result is that we have a different kind of game.

Heck, I could be a stock class god, slaying Egos and DMs with my Phantom as Zeus with his thunderbolts upon Mount Olympus, and I STILL wouldn't want to play electro-speedball all of the time. It is a different kind of game. (I assure you that my skills are NOT as the aforementioned Zeus, and frankly I'll never play enough to get there.)

2. The rules are as simple or complicated as you want them to be. This format, frankly, is not intended to attract cheater-board-wielding paint-wiping agglet sorts. Anybody trying to max up ROF is doing it wrong and should go back to pre-12.5 PSP. With 'field fee' prizes I don't see that anyone who isn't interested in the format would have any incentive to play.

Again, these ideas aren't envisioned as a replacement for pro ball. It's a just-for-fun league-night idea. Heck, you could show up with nine friends, pay for a private party at most fields and play the game as you like.

Lastly, you mentioned field format, and I agree with you here. Until you start insinuating that it won't work. Wide open fields with a couple refs who can't watch everything? That's recball. Which is all this is, just recball with brackets.
2. Do not put any airsmith before the WALZ
3. Do not covet thy neighbors brass
4. Give a lot of cool **** to cool people for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancyfingers View Post
I stumbled in here looking for autococker/pump advise [sic] and being FLAMED OUT MY A$$ on PBN.
Feedback

Last edited by Axel; 12-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB's Resident Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
No, you are right. I was thinking about the way Craig makes them now, which is a vast improvement over the older ones.
But my point is, defining vintage, where is the cutoff? Having a "vintage" game does not solve the arms race, as it were.
Brent.
The sorts of players pushing the arms race are not the targets of this format. MCB has limited paint meetups all the time. This is just the same concept with a different standard. I don't see how you can accept stock class as legitimate yet refuse to consider a semi-automatic 'stock' format.

Once again, nobody is suggesting that this should replace PSP or NPPL or whatever.

It sounds like you wouldn't like this style of play, which is cool. Stick to electro-speedball; we'll get a bunch of guys together to play a different sort of game, and it'll either take off or peter out--either way, no harm / no foul to either side as long as everyone keeps their masks on and watches their tanks for unthreading valves.
2. Do not put any airsmith before the WALZ
3. Do not covet thy neighbors brass
4. Give a lot of cool **** to cool people for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancyfingers View Post
I stumbled in here looking for autococker/pump advise [sic] and being FLAMED OUT MY A$$ on PBN.
Feedback

Last edited by Axel; 12-03-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
all work

Current tournament paintball has very little resemblance to the type of paintball I like to play. Basketball doesn't totally change when it is sportified; nor does hockey, football, soccer, boxing etc. I could be wrong, maybe some of you rec players shoot a couple bags per round. I'm sure glad you don't play at my field though.

Tournament paintball has more in common with auto racing than any "game". Technology presents either a barrier or crutch to participants. Financial incentives(to manufacturers and organizers) promote technological advances of equipment for these pursuits. Skill and tactics are less important if your technology is sufficiently superior. If player skill/teamwork/tactics are to be the primary determinants of success then we should all use the exact same equipment with the exact same ammo count, otherwise the playing field is slanted to the well healed and/or technically savvy. Where's the sport in that?
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone