mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

just got a mag

so, i just picked up a mag off ebay to use as a woodsball gun for 75 +shipping (thought it was a good deal). classic valve, macro ftings, expansion chamber, and carbon fiber barrel. i tryed it out in a few speedball games today and i really love this thing. accurate, fast, silent, and no chops. just a few questions; i was told not to use co2 with automag valves but i should be able to with the classic valve, seeing as ow they were designed pre-compressed air, right? i also want to put a crosman stock on it, has anyone moded one of their stocks for anything but sheridan grips? if so how? fiberglass fill then drill new holes? anything else i should know about owning a mag?

Last edited by thepenguinc; 08-06-2006 at 12:02 AM.
thepenguinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I'm glad you like your 'mag. CO2 is perfectly fine in Classic valves. Instead of a crossman stock, just get a normal bottomline stock.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The reason you've heard "Don't use CO2" is because the valve's o-rings will freeze up during rapid fire if you do not do a good job of keeping liquid co2 out. As long as you have a good expansion chamber you should be fine. An anti-siphon co2 tank wouldn't hurt either.
back2integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

PPS Fan
I owned a Classic Automag for several years, and always ran CO2 on it. If you are going to run the CO2 tank horizontal with an expansion chamber, I highly recommend an anti-siphoned tank. I ran like this and never had any problems. If you are really paranoid, you can run a Palmer Stabilizer instead of the expansion chamber, but this isn't really necessary. If you are going to run a vertical tank, do NOT use an anti-siphon tank as it will act as a siphon then. Also, use a lube like KC Trouble Free for CO2. Your o-rings won't be as likely to freeze up with it, and will stay looking brand new instead of turning yellow and getting brittle.
NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Or you could eventially go to compressed air. Some of the smaller tanks are getting fairly cheap new. Seen new 47 ci tanks going for $50-60 and 72 ci PMI tanks for $80 new with tank cover. But C02 also works well with mags, you can anti siphon and expansion it or remote and expansion and either way will work great.
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the info. i already do have a hpa tank, but i'd rather use co2 for woods/recball because i get alot more shots out of a 20oz then my nitro tank. which is good if i'm miles from a fill station. although i am looking at getting a reg so i can switch to back and forth.

back2integrity, i saw your post on one of the wtb threads about the freak tip. what kind of barrel is that carbon-fiber one? i think it's the same one that came with mine. what's it worth?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
Honestly I would stay away from KC troublefree. It's been my experience that it has a tendancy to get gummy. Do yourself a favor and pick up some air tool oil from your local hardware store and use it liberally. A dry mag is an unhappy mag.

Welcome to the family! Soon you'll find out that mags are almost entirely modular, and then you'll never see your wallet again... It's not that you NEED anything different, it's that you can HAVE something different.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
BEO MAFIA

Send a message via AIM to rudz

love my mags, make sure you have a good expenasion chamber for that c02

BEO MAFIA
rudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'll split your arrow!

Send a message via AIM to mark Send a message via MSN to mark

I think your sig neglects your D-mag and X-Mag Rudz. (m-a-r-k-7 for other forums).

I have a minimag, and run it with co2 and no a/s. I'm also pretty sure what I think is an expansion chamber is just a jas thru.... but it works fine. Unelss my idiot friends decideds to take it and shoot a few hundred shots at the ground, freezing a lot of valve o-rings.

1. hurricane
An temporary alliance formed between the ocean and the sky with the goal of killing people. The ocean's ability to attack the land is limited, so it lends the sky some of its water and energy so it can assault people farther inland then it normally could.
Hurricanes are far more powerful then the storms the sky creates on its own. They are just another reason the ocean must be destroyed.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr
Honestly I would stay away from KC troublefree.
Odd, never had problems with it. Kept my o-rings fresh. Oh well.
NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone