mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjim3 View Post
... to where I was swearing and yelling. I kept telling him that I was not firing and that his friends were using him for cover, but it didn't really matter at that point..He was already super pissed I think.
Interesting.

Regardless of the situation there is no need to cuss at the guy or get emotional. Its a game. Relax and laugh a little or you might get booted for being a drama queen.

After game calmly ask the ref or field owner if this type of play is ok. It might be for all you know.

If this is an outlaw ball field know that their rules likely differ from that last commercial field you played at. Outlaw fields frequently have players who have never heard of Jim Lively and who could care less who he is. Relax and go with it. The rules are not nearly as standardized as most people think.

----

Now as the owner of a private, invite only outlaw field I look at the OP's post with a certain familiarity. Here is how I would deal with it:

... A new player doing something kind of stupid. some guys use him for cover... ok, funny. no problem. maybe Ill make a point about it before the next game. Maybe not.

... A guy cussing at my guest on my land.. Thats 1 strike. maybe he gets a warning... maybe gets scratched off the invite list...

I do have a house rule to address this type of situation: "If you have an issue with anything please quietly bring it the property owner OFF the playing field between games. If you display unsafe, rude, or unsportsmanlike conduct you may be asked to leave and loose your invitation, permanently."

Last edited by thumper; 12-04-2012 at 08:07 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Paintball is supposed to be a game of honor.
mos definitely. but if you ever play a scenario game where introducing props is kosher as long as they are cleared with someone official, sneakiness (not full on cheating) is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Regardless of the situation there is no need to cuss at the guy or get emotional. Its a game. Relax and laugh a little or you might get booted for being a drama queen.
i've watched games on youtube lately, i notice alot of ridiculous angry screaming going on these days. Alot of instances where a player actually has to repeatedly tell another player he's hit and he has to go now.

and something totally un important, but it still bugs me: nobody uses elimination flags anymore, the little yellow rag you held up when you got hit, because when yelling "hit" you run the risk of your voice not being heard over markers being fired or whatever. But, you see a yellow flag, no questions asked.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
mos definitely. but if you ever play a scenario game where introducing props is kosher as long as they are cleared with someone official, sneakiness (not full on cheating) is fun

i've watched games on youtube lately, i notice alot of ridiculous angry screaming going on these days. Alot of instances where a player actually has to repeatedly tell another player he's hit and he has to go now.

and something totally un important, but it still bugs me: nobody uses elimination flags anymore, the little yellow rag you held up when you got hit, because when yelling "hit" you run the risk of your voice not being heard over markers being fired or whatever. But, you see a yellow flag, no questions asked.
The "out flag" aint bad idea. I normally put my hand up and say OUT then wait until they stop shooting before I walk out. I can recall a few times I just laid prone for a good while until I was clear to leave.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

i just keep repeatedly hollering "dead man coming through" as i jog to the sideline at a reasonable pace with my gun up and my free hand by my head ready to block any incoming shots.

there's always been hothead in this sport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtfxs1aNnI

they grow up and new blood takes their place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9zd7I42p0w

Last edited by heinous; 12-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think you were in the right, man. You didn't TRY to bonus-ball the dude, but you did what you had to do to continue the game. No malicious intent, s'all good in my book. If him and his pals want to play like fools, so be it! Hope they know they're gunna feel the repercussions of that decision though.
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Rule 1, call yourself out when hit.
Rule 2, Don't over shoot.

Ignore one, I'll ignore 2.

Simple logic... I have my gun set for fun at 12 bps(1.5) luxe. I don't play hard, or try hard. I'm there for helping kids and other people get into the game.

Now pull that move, that guy protecting him would learn his lesson after a few seconds with me, or a pod.

Then I'd kindly talk to him after why he cannot do that ;p
Slipknot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
The "out flag" aint bad idea.
picked it up from my uncle, he said it was common in his time.

worked awesome with new players on our outlaw field back in the day. we had a much better return ratio after we made it a regular thing

Last edited by Melvin; 12-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Maybe have a specific colored barrel bag. Since you have to safety the marker anyways when out. Could be as simple as slipping the specific barrel bag over the barrel and waving the gun over the wall of the building or obstacle whatever.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
picked it up from my uncle, he said it was common in his time.

worked awesome with new players on our outlaw field back in the day. we had a much better return ratio after we made it a regular thing
maybe make it a white flag that's synonymous with surrender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Maybe have a specific colored barrel bag. Since you have to safety the marker anyways when out. Could be as simple as slipping the specific barrel bag over the barrel and waving the gun over the wall of the building or obstacle whatever.
That's why I use a bright *** colored barrel condom. So people know I'm out.

Back to the OP question though. Keep shooting at the people behind him. I know you don't want to over shoot someone that is already out but the players he is protecting are in. Calmly explain it to him if he gets excited over it.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

It is paintball. If you are on the field, that comes with the expectation of being hit... Often many times.

It is part of the game.

At my field, we have a "dead man" rule, as our field is HUGE. So if you are dead, other players are more than welcome to use your body as a shield or block. You being dead means you can't say anything, but you are expected to pay attention to the game going on, and if someone is using you for cover, you are allowed at any time to hit the dirt, exposing that player, or run for cover, you just have to keep your hand/marker up in the air, so everyone knows you are out.

This rule has led to some of the funniest things I have ever seen in woodsball games...

One time, I was playing against my cousin, who brought his wife. She was a noob, and wanted to try it out.

I shot her out, while I was attacking their flag. She was between me and the flag, and I hit her, and she raised her hand. But, she didn't move. And my cousin was right behind the flag, hiding behind the skid... There is NO cover for someone my size, and I didn't want to hit her again, so I just ran up to her, as she was between me and him... I laid my marker on her shoulder and started to rip a bunch of paint at my cousin, who was afraid to fire back because he might hit his wife!

I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even shoot straight, and after a few seconds of this, his wife got the idea and quickly moved, and I ran at Davy while he put a few paintballs in my gut! Eliminating me from the game.

It was totally worth it!

We still all laugh about that one...

If people get so mad they are cussing... Really, why are they playing a game? We are out having fun in the woods. Don't take it so serious...

As soon as someone starts using someone else as a bunker, they have become a stationary part of the field, and are viable targets... Once they get hit, they will often quickly move.

If they cry about it, apologize, and tell them you had to shoot near them because they were being used as a stationary bunker by live players.

They will pay better attention to the GAME going on next time!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone