mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Is CO2 dead? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/220379-co2-dead.html)

Wycke 12-05-2012 07:37 PM

Is CO2 dead?

OK, so I'm going to play this Saturday and the field I'm going to stopping filling CO2 like 2 years ago. Since then, when necessary, I've been getting tanks filled at a nearby sporting goods place (that sells a bit of highly overpriced paintball gear), but today I found that they stopping filling about 6 months ago. Tried Walmart and found that they no longer even sell empty CO2 tanks, let alone exchange filled ones for empties. There's another shop (an Army-Navy surplus place) about 8 miles up the road I could go to that (the sporting goods guy told me) "might" still fill CO2 tanks.

So, I'm wondering if CO2 really is dead? Has it gone the way of 3.5" floppy disks, knit neckties and the Swatch? I mean, I'm not a neanderthal...I do have an HPA tank that (I think) is still in hydro, but screwing a 3 pound bottle onto a 2 pound Phantom just wrecks it.

I think between the 4 smaller (4 oz. to 12 oz.) tanks, I'll have enough CO2 to feed the Phantom for the day, and if I break out a semi, I'll use the HPA tank, but I've got to find a better long-term solution.

As I see it, the options are:
  • Get a bulk (20 lb.) CO2 tank, fill station and scale so I can keep using CO2 (and contributing to global warming) until they pry the tanks from my cold, dead hands
  • Embrace the future by getting a small (13 ci) tank for my Phantom and start doing some curls so the weight of a Blazer with a 68ci tank doesn't wear me out in 2 hours
  • Buy 12 grams. Lots of 12 grams. And get really good at changing them quick.

So, of those, which does the community here think I should pursue?

Jordan 12-05-2012 07:38 PM

Get a bulk tank - that's what I intend to do once I have the room for it.

maggot 12-05-2012 07:39 PM

Co2 is definitely not dead here in the big city. I'd buy a bulk tank and do your own fills in the car if I was you.

sniper42 12-05-2012 07:42 PM

I love my co2. I keep a 20lb bottle at home. It lets me fill my small tanks so I have air to tinker with, rather than have to drive to the paintball store to get a fill. Plus it's only $30 to get the 20lb bottle filled at our local welding shop.

WilD 12-05-2012 07:43 PM

I don't play much anymore, but when I do it's still mostly CO2 for me. I say get the bulk tank. There is nothing wrong with twelve grams when playing pump either...

paintballsmrf 12-05-2012 07:44 PM

you could get an 8ci air tank, about the size of a 4oz. its going to be cheapest/easiest in the long run.

heinous 12-05-2012 07:48 PM

it's dead here. field doesn't fill it. says it's cheaper to go with only hpa. can't blame them. it's a better air source for most guns and their rental fleet uses hpa.

The Flounder 12-05-2012 07:50 PM

my local field is phasing out CO2 slowly as they buy more HPA tanks for the rental fleet. They are about 75% of the way there already.

shane_ 12-05-2012 07:51 PM

It is all HPA in Australia

Crimson Death 12-05-2012 07:53 PM

Dead here as well.