mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

+1 on the cheapie.

Rentals are what made me buy my first marker. I would rather have a tuned up ex-rental that I know well as opposed to an actual rental.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
+1 on the cheapie.

Rentals are what made me buy my first marker. I would rather have a tuned up ex-rental that I know well as opposed to an actual rental.
i actually just finished cleaning one of the ex-rentals i bought off bacci, getting all that gunk (which is a lot) off the bolt and everything. it cycles, just waiting to hit the field to chrono it for a baseline. then i'll see what is worth improving.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

I disagree with buying a cheap gun. That's just throwing money away. Buy the gun you want or don't.

The cheapest thing to do (next to not playing) is to, you know, have a friend and borrow their gun. Way cheaper for way better quality. Sounds like a win-win.

You'd think this would be option #1 in a crowd full of people with "backup markers" and stuff literally hanging off their walls...
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
I disagree with buying a cheap gun. That's just throwing money away. Buy the gun you want or don't.

The cheapest thing to do (next to not playing) is to, you know, have a friend and borrow their gun. Way cheaper for way better quality. Sounds like a win-win.

You'd think this would be option #1 in a crowd full of people with "backup markers" and stuff literally hanging off their walls...
I'm all for loaning gear to a buddy, but I'm not going to let them use me to be a cheap-*** about things. There's a difference between offering to loan gear to a pal and mooching off of somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can always pick up a 98 or 98 custom for cheap on Craigslist or even here.

And a lot of fields will let you rent a tank too. So that is at least one less thing to have carry around....but the marker can be packed to take up less space when traveling.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I think a lot of you are under rating rental markers.

I have, after working at the field, snagged rentals off the wall to play a few games with people there. These have ranged from rental groups looking for another player to team practices.

I was not significantly worse then I normally am. Granted the bar is not high but still.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_target View Post
I'm all for loaning gear to a buddy, but I'm not going to let them use me to be a cheap-*** about things. There's a difference between offering to loan gear to a pal and mooching off of somebody.
This. My friend and I bought a TON of gear so we could have a lot of people we know play....like around 40 guns, 20 masks, barrel plugs, tanks, etc. We let them play the first year with our loaners, just to let them get into the game. After that, we kind of show them what to look for in a gun so they can get their own. I would say 75% of them who play every time with us have done that. While we don't mind lending out the stuff (we did buy it for that), but don't be a mooch and do it EVERY SINGLE TIME. Most of the guns we bought were $10-$30 spyders, tippmans, etc. Deals are out there if you want to get your own.

But I have noticed, we do have a ton of fun with just basic guns out there. The highest end guns that we have are a couple of black magics, an at10, a RT Pro, and a reflex rail. And we rarely even play with those guns when we are out there. With the RT we normally take it out for one game just to show noobs what a good mechanical gun can do.

Last edited by elraido; 12-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post

that's called mooching, and it's frowned upon by people with social skills.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Resurgence

If money is tight, and you really don't see yourself using it, I could see renting. But in all honesty, for the cost of a day of play, you could pick up a decent tippmann setup on CL.

But in all honesty, whether you decide to rent or pick up a cheapie, you have to purchase your own mask. Nothing is worse then having a rental mask.

For one, I don't trust anyone elses care taking when it comes to my eyeballs. Even if I buy a used mask, I'll buy a brand new lense to put into it. On top of that, a day of foggy paintball, is not a fun day.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
Nothing is worse then having a rental mask.
Definitely. My own is gross enough after a full day.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone