mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class Rec Baller

Experienced players renting at fields?

I am, again, at a time where I cannot fully afford to own a marker on top of paying to go play. Having been a part of this game for over 10 year with lots of off and on playing, maybe it is my pride getting in the way of renting a not-so-great marker setup and just having a good time since that is what it is all about after all. Has anyone else been in this position?
MCB +24/-0
iamthelazerviking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

A couple of my buddies do a yearly road trip through the states. They usually try to get some paintballing in during, and rent instead of bring a bunch of gear. So one thing they talked about doing was just getting a decent one piece barrel and bringing it to the field. Swap out the rental and you'll have a better shooter. Small investment and you can still play.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

just buy a cheap rental off bacci, they're like $10. if you can afford to rent you can afford to buy a $10 gun...

there's no shame in renting, but i don't do it because it costs more when you already own a gun.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

If you are using a pump setup then your entire equipment cost could be only around $200. My local field day fee ranges between $13-35 depending on the game scenario and any charitable events. I usually shoot between $20-50 worth of paint (First strike). I dont see how you can afford to play but not afford a marker? Maybe you can take time away from electro if thats the problem?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
just buy a cheap rental off bacci, they're like $10. if you can afford to rent you can afford to buy a $10 gun...
Agreed. For the price of a rental day or two, you can buy yourself something decent that is "yours".
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
This was a major point of the whole "Back to Basics League" thread. Legitimizing the concept of scaling back and just hitting the field with some cheap gear for a good time.

Remember the old "Know your enemy" image?

Lots of players get stuck on the third image (which if made today would be an agglet with an electro), and have trouble moving on to the 4th.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stock Class Rec Baller

I am forcing myself to be extra frugal with money right now, so playing would only happen maybe a couple of times in the next ooooooooh I don't know, 6 months sadly.

Fubarius, interestingly enough I just saw that picture in someone's signature in another thread! I love it.
No I do not own an electro, or have even touched one in a long time. But I do plan on putting aside a little bit of $$ at a time to go towards yet another pump set up!
MCB +24/-0
iamthelazerviking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oldbie

I did it once while on a trip without any personal gear. My suggestion if you're experienced is to be selective, even if all the guns they rent are the same model there are always good and bad ones. Don't be afraid to ask to pick your own.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I work at a field, and for a few months this last summer I actually had an in between guns phase for 3 months (Which is odd, considering I usually have 2-5 guns at a time). So, I pulled off the ref jersey, grabbed a rental marker, played in my jeans and t-shirt, and had a blast.

I'd suggest BUYING a cheap and used low end marker as opposed to renting just for the costs, but getting back to that is just a blast when it really DOES force you to play aggressively not having the accuracy by volume while still challenging you by forcing you to hold back a bit and not bunker a child who's out their first time. The best part is that it puts you on the same level as the first timers where your experience really shines through to set an example that it's not your gear that makes a good player but putting in the effort to make yourself one.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
with the advent of cheap amazing guns in the low end mech segment (GoG eNMEy for example) I can't see why anyone would rent even if you're on a shoestring budget. Personally for me I acquired all my equipment before my son was born so even though money is tight my playing expenses consist of either a bag of paint at $20/500 or if I decide to play SC with the phantom I buy a 100rd sandwich baggie for $2 and then I only need like 3 12g's to shoot the whole bag total cost to me less than $5 and actually more fun than buying a bag and being able to lay paint with abandon if needed

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone