mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class vs Agglets!!!

Question for players who have been around since the beginning (or close to it)

Hey guys,

So, over the course of the many discussions I've had with my grandmother, one topic we always tend to come back to is the progression of overall technology - having recently learned how to use an iPad, email, Google, and some other basic stuff, my grandma has really communicated to me just how amazing it is to her how far technology has progressed in the last 60 or 70 years. To quote her, the technology that we use on a daily basis wasn't even dreamed of back then.

Now, paintball has been around for a much shorter time. But, to all of you players who have been around since the late 80s or early 90s, if you could go back then, and think about technology in paintball that would come about in the next 10, 20, or 30 years, would you have even dreamed the modern electros that get shot at fields today to be possible? Would you have dreamed that mech guns that shoot over 30 paintballs a second would exist? And would you imagine hoppers that could feed over 30 balls a second?

Just wondering
LibertyRadeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

No. And if I had imagined it was possible, I would have cried.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
The official MCB flashback thread
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldbie

Stuff changed so fast I barely had time to ponder what would come next.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
I haven't been around quite that long, but I remember the Ion coming out and the entire game changing. I've only been around for about 10 years, so that's as far back as I can remember
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

My mind would not have been blown.

You young kids forget that the 80's were the defining years for a lot of this technology. I had my own computer and printer in 1983, and I was already in an electronics program by 1986. I knew about e-mail (dates back to the 70's you know), I used to regularly post on BBS' (pretty much this right here), I walked around school listening to a Walkman (knockoff) then a CD player. The 1960's Star Trek had a computer we could ask for information (Google), and the 1980's Star Trek had Padds (iPads basically).

There was a real sense that computers were the future, and were going to be in everything. The first computerized fuel injection systems were appearing on cars for example. I remember in the very early 90's discussing caseless ammo with someone and imagining an electronically fired gun that could be locked out from unauthorized use. So if someone showed me an electro back then, I probably would have thought it cool, but not anything special.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRadeon View Post
to all of you players who have been around since the late 80s or early 90s, if you could go back then, and think about technology in paintball that would come about in the next 10, 20, or 30 years, would you have even dreamed the modern electros that get shot at fields today to be possible? Would you have dreamed that mech guns that shoot over 30 paintballs a second would exist? And would you imagine hoppers that could feed over 30 balls a second?

Just wondering
I first played in '86 AGA 62s for everyone cept the one guy with a K1(field marshal on his day off). We totally dreamed about electos and full autos. Solenoids have been around for a long time, the concept was obvious the proof less so. Each shot cost me $.025. Indexed for inflation those were some expensive balls. The game has come full circle for me as I'm shooting a 8 shot spring fed pistol again. I like it.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
old but still playing

Send a message via MSN to Ranger 53

been around that long and thought that the game had gone as far as it could when the autococker came out then the rush was on.
Ranger 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Startrek aside the ease of personal communication is what really seems to have "surprised" those who look forward. George Jetson's video phone was still plugged into the wall IIRC

In paintball....

Nothing is really that ground breaking. It is in the paintball world but it really is just the use of other technology into paintball
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 12-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I started with 12 grams in the 80's then moved to Co2 tanks soon after. By '94 I was shooting Nitro. I always thought the progression of the game would include better propellant. Now close to 20 years after the carbon fiber tanks released, no one has improved this. My field still has Co2 tanks- Why? Shouldn't we have moved way past Co2 years ago.

In my mind I feel this is like cars. Electric cars and other sources are still rare and kind of a joke. Auto companies are just trying to improve how many miles per gallon they get.

Look at new guns, no new tech in the way of propellant, just people bragging they can get 1500 rounds off a 68ci tank or more. Just increasing the miles per gallon.

In 94 I latched on to Nitro and thought this is just going to be the beginning of the new wave of propellant tech. We move to compressed air. So.....still waiting.
Raleighpaintball.com is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone