mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patar View Post
hahaha, floundah's right.
holy s*** that is almost sig worthy
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundah View Post
holy s*** that is almost sig worthy
i take it you don't get that alot?! haha
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
what makes you say that? :P
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

just a hunch lol
Patar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

I make my son put a snack in his pocket before we enter the game, as we always get separated.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Do the medical alert thing- you can actually get red dogtags with the info printed on them. Pacer has one (needs new ballchain) rather than the bracelet. You can still register through the medical alert deal, but dogtags are easier and safer to wear in many cases.

The patch is a good idea, just make sure the people you are playing with (at least some of them, I'm not saying scream it from the rafters) know it is NOT part of a costume or a joke. Do carry something with you like others recommended too.

Finally, listen to your body. If you suddenly start feeling like you are bottoming out or something get out of the game. Take a moment and treat yourself. Games are just games, there will be more time to play.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just carry some sweettarts on me , works just as fast as glucose tablets. 4 pieces are 15 grams of carbs.
bird33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
....Finally, listen to your body. If you suddenly start feeling like you are bottoming out or something get out of the game. Take a moment and treat yourself. Games are just games, there will be more time to play.
EXACTLY! ! ! I've got a couple of friends that are diabetic and we do strenuous activities all the time.

It's been my observation that when a sugar low hits during exercise like this that it seems to hit them hard and fast. And if you're in a game running around you may not notice the first symptoms of a rapidly lowering BS amount. So when you DO notice it call yourself out even if it's the start or near the end and go deal with it. You'll have to go off field anyway to remove your mask and have the snack or take the glucose pack anyway. So just call yourself out and go take care of yourself so you can jump back in for the next one.

Of course you know your own reactions best. Just don't try to second guess and delay. If it gets TOO deep before you level it out you'll feel like crud for some time after.

I understand as well that having the snacks early before any symptoms keeps you going better too. So between game snacks would seem like a good idea. After all, you're burning those calories up pretty darn fast in a hectic game. It's easy to use up all your fuel and then the excess of insulin steps up to the plate.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If there are a few medical professionals (emts, combat life savers, ect) let them know about the condition. During the summer months, I carry a few IV bags and the appropriate hardware just in case.
U.S. Army All-Star Tournament Team #82

Proudly Sponsored By:
HK Army, Ninja Paintball, Forgotten Muse Media, UNDR, paintballphotography.com, and Hybrid Foto

Be kind and leave feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

my wife is an insulin dependent diabetic, she wears the pump.

First thing you need to do, is to truly get a feel for how your particular insulin reacts in your body. When Jenn was on shots, her blood sugar would sometimes crash because the synthetic form of insulin she was taking would peak pretty hard, dropping her blood sugar pretty rapidly. So first off, I would pay close attention to how your body reacts to your insulin dosages, on a normal day. Does your blood sugar tend to drop at a certain times? Stay normal? Go up? What happens if you eat slightly less, slightly more? Eat things with sugar in them, drink things with sugar in them, etc

The next thing, is I would pay attention to how your body reacts when you exercise. This obviously will burn sugar, dropping your numbers, but how much? Do you go from 110 to 60? And how long? Does it take 30 minutes of moderate exercise to drop you down? Does it take 45 minutes? 2 hours? What happens if you have moderate exercise for 2 hours, without eating? Your body will give you clues and indications as to how it will react.

The next thing I would recommend is to bring a testing supplies to the field in a light cooler. As you know, heat can damage testing strips, so a cooler with a gel pack should keep it cool enough so they don't get damage if it's too hot outside.

After that, you need to employ a "buddy" system, with several people. If you don't know anyone at the game, ask a few people around you if they wouldn't mind keeping an eye on you for sudden blood pressure drops. You want to let a few people know, what to look for, and how to react. Many people have no idea how diabetes works, or what exactly is going on int he body. You don't want to be knocked out with a low blood sugar, and someone runs up and says "I know what to do! He need insulin! He needs more insulin!!!"

Obviously, this will kill you. For those who don't know, blood sugar levels in someone without diabetes will usually register just under 100 on a testing machine. At 60, most people will feel extremely light headed and dizzy. At 40, the person is barely moving and in a daze, almost like they are high or drunk. At 30 or below, they'll be basically asleep with their eyes open, staring at the sky, barely moving, this is when someone is in SERIOUS trouble. Insulin drops blood sugar. When someone is "low", they need sugar, orange juice, mountain dew, anything that can quickly absorbed into their blood to get their sugars back up.

You need to get a couple "buddies" around you, who know how to react if you go low. Explain to them that you will need your glucose tablets, or glucose gel, or orange juice, or apple juice, or crackers, or anything that works best for you, in case your sugar drops. Have a plan in place, so that they can "snap you out" of the low blood sugar spell so you can take care of yourself from there.

From there, I would just try to test often. If you are playing hardcore, maybe every hour. I know you're finger tips will be sore the next day, but it's better than waking up with paramedics around you. Obviously, I'd also make sure you test before you drive home. You don't want any "sneak attacks" with your metabolism speeding up and dropping your blood sugar as you get into the car after the game. It's not uncommon for Jenn to test 5 to 7 times in a day when she's playing hard. She also removes her pump completely when she does Crossfit, because she found that the strenuous exercise was too much of a combination with her pump attached, and her sugars dropped really quickly.

So to summarize - pay attention to your body, see how your body reacts to exercise, let people around you know about your condition and how to help, have a plan in place in case you go low.

Don't feel bad about your condition, or embarrassed. It's in people's nature to want to help, and I would stop everything in a heartbeat to help a fellow baller who has a medical condition in need of assistance. The only thing that's silly, is trying to go John Wayne and getting yourself into a situation that you can't get yourself out of, surrounded by people who want to help but have no idea how.

Everyone has challenges, so don't be shy, we want to help and it feels good to help

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone