mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #121 (permalink)
MCB Member

As to the Google search...

Sure you could try and look at the data as people knowing where their fields are thus not searching....or you could realize that "paintball fields" was not even listed in the top searches, paintball guns was the top. You will see "paintball game(s)" listed there, and that could be people searching for local games. But also noticed that if you look at the rising trends you will see "Paintball 2" which is computer game...so quite likely the "paintball game(s)" is trying to find computer games and not fields.

Either way overall the trends are down. If all the locals know where to go and thus are not searching the web, then the downward trend indicates that new people are not being attracted to the game to search for it. Sorry but not every field in the country has bill boards all over the city, radio and TV adverts and things of that nature to ensure that everyone knows where they are at so they don't have to google it....matter of fact I had not seen or heard an advertising commercial for paintball in like....oh what never

Do a search on Snowboard or fishing and you can see that they too overall are in decline but you will see very seasonal swings in their searches. And their rate of decline is no where near what Paintball is experiencing when it comes to Google searching.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #122 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Call me part of the division problem but far as I'm concerned paintball the sport can go suck it. The sport side has brought all of the problems that we have. Paintball the game could survive with out paintball the sport. The sport on the other hand could not survive on its own without the game. Sure there wre cheaters in the game. But the sport made it cool and acceptable .
But the sport side has also brought cheaper paint, cheaper markers, more diversity in the markers, along with an overall increased visibility into the game itself.

As to the Sport bringing more cheating. That is debatable. Perhaps you do see more cheating from the so called "pros", but also factor in the knowledge element of things. If you are comparing the "pros" to first time walk ons, or once a decade players, those are the people that tend to call themselves out on a bounce, or even a really bad spray. They don't comprehend the concept of wiping, they have been told about it because it is often covered in the briefing, but when they are so skiddish to call themselves out at the slightest hit they are not concerned with wiping.

Sure for the most part that mentality is a good thing. But making the comparison is faulty. It is like saying you see more cheating going on during the Superbowl than you do with the local kids playing football in the back yard.

I do not disagree with you in that more often than not when tourney players are mixed with rec ballers there is issues. Overshooting, wiping, bunkering, and all around tough times on rec ballers. But sorry, that is the tourney players fault, and the fault of the refs, and the field owners for allowing that attitude and play style to continue. It is not the sports fault. When an NFL player intentionally facemasks another player it is not footballs fault that he did that is it?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #123 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Over a million people watched jjron's "paintball sniper" video a few weeks ago. Exposure like that gets people out on the field. That is one of the reasons I have been working so hard trying to figure out my ZoomCam system. As I know once you can capture the fun on film, others will want to play too!

In this economy, many can't afford to drop $100 to play at a field for one day, but more and more are hitting backyards, as they can play CHEAP. And those guys buy gear and stuff as well. I find it interesting how "outlaw" is looked down on as "not serious" by many large companies, when (especially in this economy) often the guys buying gear now are doing so for outlaw play with their friends.

I have very little desire to go play "real" paintball at a field. As being friends with the guy you are shooting at is just so much fun! Makes some great family dinner table conversations.

Speaking of which, my father in law proximity killed me on Saturday... I'm not going to live that down for a while!!! Good thing he forgot to turn on his helmet cam... haha!

I may have to accidentally delete my footage of that... lol!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #124 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
As long as people are willing to pay to play, the market will capture that demand. It may mean fewer fields, more driving, etc, but we aren't losing the sport anytime soon.

Speedball was an attempt to shrink the field into something that can be watched and televised. Didn't work. Pro paintball also sparked the arms race. Both points fundamentally changed the game based on lowest common denominators, and now if you want to play acre/player sort of games, your choices are outlaw, outback, or non-commercial private field. I.E., "survival game" play is no longer a commercial option. You can argue whether these changes were good or bad, but nobody knows what another round of sportification would do to the game. Certainly the companies prefer fast shooting games that sell more paint and gear up front, as this is easier to measure than things like players lost due to bad overshooting experiences.

The only influence you have over that is to spend your money on the kind of game you enjoy. Market forces will ultimately decide what happens in the game.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #125 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
...and of course be an ambassador. If you want your local field to be more limited paint friendly, then organize private groups and show owners that this is an additional potential market rather than something that will suck away their paint sales.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #126 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
...and of course be an ambassador. If you want your local field to be more limited paint friendly, then organize private groups and show owners that this is an additional potential market rather than something that will suck away their paint sales.
That is exactly what has been happening here.
We organized a limited paintball game last weekend, and more than 70 people showed up yo the private game. Entire families. And everyone had a great time.
It caught the attention of the owners, and we are looking at making it a monthly thing. I have also complained to the field owners about tourney teams showing up, and using walk ons as target practice. And it's at the point where the management needs to talk to these teams and let them know, that if they want to join walkon games, they will be split up.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #127 (permalink)
MCB Member

That is exactly what needs to take place Henchman....people bringing it to the attention of the field owners...if they take action to do something about it, great...if not...consider playing elsewhere.

Axel...

Sorry but the whole tournaments caused the arms race is silly. The arms race was going on looong before pretty inflatables and such came along. There was tubes....then there was hoppers, then there was constant air...then there was auto-triggers, in there was the SMG-60, then came semi automatics and from there they just continued to advance. The NPPL and PSP style tournaments came along after semi-automatics and the mentality of "spray and pray".
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #128 (permalink)
Banned

Don't forget also, ramping originally started as a cheat mode.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #129 (permalink)
TBOPP

For the continued success and growth of paintball

I think players/staff should be aware of the technical things they must do first before heading out to the field:
- Bring a squeegee
- Wear clear thermal lenses
- Match paintballs to barrels
- Ensure a proper CO2 fill with a weighing scale that shows ounces

And also the mindsets should be set within parameters with no unknowns:
- Don't take winning or losing seriously (so that there's no incentive to cheat)
- Play to eliminate players
- Referees should explain what players should expect while playing so that there are no surprises

Players should also have a weekly budget towards paintball, and not to exceed it
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #130 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbet View Post
For the continued success and growth of paintball

I think players/staff should be aware of the technical things they must do first before heading out to the field:
- Bring a squeegee
- Wear clear thermal lenses
- Match paintballs to barrels
- Ensure a proper CO2 fill with a weighing scale that shows ounces

And also the mindsets should be set within parameters with no unknowns:
- Don't take winning or losing seriously (so that there's no incentive to cheat)
- Play to eliminate players
- Referees should explain what players should expect while playing so that there are no surprises

Players should also have a weekly budget towards paintball, and not to exceed it
What would bring more people to the sport is knowing their 12 year old isnt going to get lit up by a tourney player and his team. Who think they are awesome when overtaking a team made up of newbies and rec payers.

They're not.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone