mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearns View Post
I played for the West Point from 06 to 10. We started as a AA team and moved up to division A. Many of the players in division A are divisional players in the PSP or NPPL. I know Long Beach had a bunch of solid players. The interesting thing about NCPA is that the guys play hard and are generally good. Each division has at least 4 events and its nice to see the same guys event after event. There is no money or prizes to win, just bragging rights. It's a good time and a medium where some of the best paintball in the world is played.
This is good to hear! I played up in Vermont for awhile, and most of those teamd didn't last. But VT just does not have the weather for paintball during the school year. My friend up at U of M says the team still exists just plays local competitions instead of the college circuit. I think the growth of the college teams could create a really nice league to watch/follow.

But super cool to hear from someone who played for West Point. I know a number of the military based schools (like Norwich, schools that are military based but not directly military run like west point) also field teams and play harder and moreso the "right way" just IMO. The Norwich kids, and the players from West Point who spend weekends off in the Palisades playing Vandetta are some of my favorite people to play with. Players who know the meaning of GRINDING to get better, players who realize competitive paintball is way more then the gear your using.
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't normally post on a mcb a lot but I find the opinions in this thread to be highly informative and well formed. It's also nice to see that people can have different opinions which can be shared in a medium of discourse where respect is still maintained. I'd have to say that in my own limited personal opinion that I agree with both sides: (1) if you have this great pb community and are happy then please keep it going; so when I'm in town I can share in that great experience. (2) If you're in a position to make the sport better (and we all are) then do something constructive. I think 99bps has some awesome points as do a lot of other posters and it's great to see some creative proactive thought within paintball.

Cheers,
Slappadapink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

I don't know if this is a sign of popularity of paintball in the Kansas City area, or a sign that a lot of fields have closed down in the KC area, but Jaeger's Paintball has been PACKED this year.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #54 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
The large companies tried to make paintball what it's not. A spectators sport.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #55 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
The large companies tried to make paintball what it's not. A spectators sport.
OK. But has that hurt paintball?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
OK. But has that hurt paintball?
Sure. Speedball.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #57 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Sure. Speedball.
I don't see it that way. I don't play speedball and we don't offer it at our field, so don't consider me a speedball fanatic.

But how has speedball hurt the rest of paintball? Isn't it just another option for people to take part in. With an expanded product offering, wouldn't it be logical that offering various genres (like speedball) would increase the number of players overall?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
Oldbie

Speedball simply makes a fair field. It was big before marketing. Back in the woods you could lose a tournament at the coin toss.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #59 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Speedball simply makes a fair field. It was big before marketing. Back in the woods you could lose a tournament at the coin toss.
please elaborate?

I think speedball and "pro" speedball tournies have really only made a fair field by removing true skill from most aspects of the game. Only occasionally will you see pro speedball players make ballsy moves, pick their shots, really utilize the field's setup (huge showcase is this past PSP world cup, one of the players from Damage I believe was standing out in the open, but using the nearby bunkers to block out lines of sight so he was basically invisible even while standing out in the open), etc. Instead, it's replaced with how long you can steadily fire paintballs at a bunker, and if you get lucky you clip a guy's podpack or hopper or top of his mask. You can clearly see a lot of players just sitting in the snake firing ropes of paint down at the other side, and if the cameraman goes to the player they're shooting at, he's not even paying attention to the guy firing all those ropes.

Even thought some players make bold moves and play intelligently, what are they rewarded with? A point. And then they play another match that they might lose. Their bold move may not have meant a damn thing.

Out in the woods, or on recreational fields and more relaxed play, not only does the player feel good about himself after making a sweet play, but if they screw up no one's going to be screaming at them back at their tent. Their teammates aren't going to be bitter that they lost. They just laugh and go on with their day.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Oldbie

A mirrored field is fair no matter what side you start on. In the woods when the coin was tossed to decide which flag station you had it was a 50/50 whether you'd get the strong side. I'm not talking about recreational.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone