mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #71 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
But what you are talking about as far as using the big fields and getting into the woods is exactly the reason another natural progression of the sport is becoming really popular now and that is scenarios. You are seeing a growth in that industry as they can draw hundreds or even thousands of players to the field for a weekend.
I don't know. I see the modern day scenario trend as being almost the opposite of the way paintball used to be years ago. We used to play on large fields with relatively few players and one could sneak around sometimes for minutes without seeing another sole (at least that's the way it was around here).

Today's scenario games remind more of something like a Scouts Jamboree, where everyone gets together for one big party (for lack of a better word). There are so many people on the field, that movement becomes difficult, not unlike playing on the local smaller fields on a relatively busy day. It's certainly not like the way I remember the old days of paintball. Not anything. Not by a long shot. As a matter of fact, the scenario games I've gone to have not been as much fun as local games due to the crowded fields and lack of staff to control things. I think the attraction of the big scenario games has more to do with people wanting to take part (and being able to say they took part) in all the craziness.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #72 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
But what you are talking about as far as using the big fields and getting into the woods is exactly the reason another natural progression of the sport is becoming really popular now and that is scenarios. You are seeing a growth in that industry as they can draw hundreds or even thousands of players to the field for a weekend.
That's actually somewhat of a reverse, really. I see less real scenario games now than I did a decade ago.

A lot more 'big games' that are just a lot of people on the field being billed as scenarios, though.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #73 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I went to a "small" scenario (my first) last spring, it rained so the 600+ people didn't show up, and it was about 350-400 who did play.

It was interesting, but not really my cup of tea... WAY too many people, WAY too much wiping. Way too many people who just had no clue what was going on for the different "team goals" that were happening.

So I just hunted the other teams general instead of trying to figure out what block of wood I was supposed to find and then figure out where to take said block of wood...

In the woods, no one had any clue which team they were taking out and friendly fire was all too common, as there were just SO MANY people playing on about 10 acres of woods.

My field at home is giant. We play on about 10 acres with about 30 acres to choose from, with 25-40 people (two teams) and it is large enough that when the game starts you have no clue where they other team went until they get close enough to you that you can see them. (so calling out positions really helps).

But, if everyone playing had a helmet cam AND a ZoomCam on their gun, and you edited it together into a game of just the action and a map showing locations, that could be a really cool way to present woodsball. In a NEW and fresh way capturing the fun of the sport.

That is one of my goals, to get enough footage that I can make a video that plays like a full game of different players at my field and editing it all together to show a "game" where you can see the guy shooting watch the paint fly and see the other guy get hit and leave. As if they all have helmet cams and Zoomcams. That would be amazing.

But, to me, scenarios are way too crowded to be my kind of fun.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #74 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
The comments of Speedball not being a spectator sport is true, but then what sport really is? Sure the fans that go to them really enjoy it, look at golf...not a whole lot going on there and quite often if you are a spectator, where you are standing is not in full view of everything anyways, but if you are a fan you are glad to get the view you have. The spectators of a sport are generally the ones that enjoy the sport to begin with.

One thing that really kind hurt speedball early on was technology. Look at football today and the camera work they are able to do in that sport now days. We could not do that 20 years ago. HD camera's have intensified the sport of football and made it a whole new experience to watch at home. If Speedball had that sort of technology available even 10 years ago then it is possible we could have seen better growth of the sport as it would have been more entertaining to view even on television.

Right now, there is too much to take in, no singular focusing point for the viewer, and plays rarely have any lead-up. They just happen in a split second, which means the audience doesn't get a sense of anticipation and payoff.

In my opinion, the only way paintball could be made into a viable spectator sport would be to turn it into a martial art. One on one competition, with limited paint.

At that point, it becomes so far removed from the game, I don't see the point.

Paintball is fun to play, not to watch.

That will never change.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #75 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Paintball is fun to play, not to watch. That will never change.
Not to try and argue but I enjoy being shot out early sometimes just so I can watch the game from the sidelines.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #76 (permalink)
MCB Member

Horizon and Whiteout.

Sorry I communicated a bit incorrectly....The game style is not what I was referring too as far as scenarios being like the sport years ago....but the use of large fields is what I was talking about.

Cause I agree that as far as play style...scenarios are nothing like the old days of 10-20 people on a 10-20 acre field
Brother Jerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #77 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Not to try and argue but I enjoy being shot out early sometimes just so I can watch the game from the sidelines.
But you play paintball. A paintball game will keep the average person's attention for like 5 minutes.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

FE,

I tend to agree...when they get large you get confusion. I went to my first scenario just last year. There was not a huge number of people out there, 200 tops. But there was confusion as to what to do and where to go and things of that nature. Scenario need to mature, I think right now they are in a stage of "more means better" and we have a mind set of if we can get 900 people there then it must be a great scenario....OK D-Day for example. I have never been there, but we hear it is great, there is thousands of people and it is great fun....it may be but that seems like too many people to have an effective fun time.

I think there is a place for scenarios, but maturity is needed to develop them more.

On the video front...Here in this region there is Waynes World which Ragtop Video ( Home ) will often be out to film the scenarios and put together a video. They do a decent job of editing, but it is just one or two people filming. And they could use a better narrator (computer voice).

I would love to see what you are talking about as well...and have worked them over at Ragtop to see about adding footage to theirs once I get things setup.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #79 (permalink)
MCB Member

Russ,

While I agree that it is difficult, it is not impossible. A problem that I see is that the tournaments have become nothing but a game of elimination. The concept of capturing the flag is more of a formality mindset. If things shifted from a list competition to a point based competition where capping the flag becomes the focal point of the game then you can create that focal point for the spectators. All eyes are on watching the flag and who is moving up on it and who is keeping the other team from getting it.

If you had a point per elimination, 2 points for victory by elimination, 20 points for flag cap victory, then capping the flag would be a vital factor in staying on top. It is not about if you beat Team XYZ or Team ABC...it is about every game you played you capped the flag.

And with the added boost of technology providing perspective on the field is relatively inexpensive. Of course this is more difficult in a wooded field, but I am also thinking for tournaments and such. Having the smaller fields and set obstacles means cameras can be placed right where they need to be to provide spectators the ability to watch and enjoy and see the action all around the field, while still watching the "flag".
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #80 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
What's up with all the people who think the sport needs to be "saved" like it's dying or something?

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone