mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Post Proper reaction when hit... But, you don't know it...

Anyone with a few games under their belt has had this happen. You are on the field, and exchanging fire with someone else, and you get them, and move on, and later either someone points it out to you, or your notice it yourself...

Broken paint...

On your pod... But, you didn't feel it at all.

What do you do?

I always call myself out immediately if someone points out a hit I missed, or I notice a hit on myself. I was playing last year and got into a big firefight with three guys, and I took out all three of them, and moved on toward their base, when the guy who I had shot first yelled over to me... "you have a hit on your pod".

DOH! Arrgh, I hate that, as I immediately raised my hand and headed for the deadbox...

And apologized to each of the three players that I had shot out, as I don't know which one got me, but clearly one did...

I typically think if you get hit and don't feel it, and get more guys out, anyone who is hit is out. As it happens, and is part of the game...

But, what do you guys think? As this is one of those gray areas of our sport, it is bound to happen, (especially in the knee pads, shoes or pod, and sometimes in your mask) but how do you handle it?

Having paint on you that you didn't feel is embarrassing, but doesn't mean you are a cheater, or trying to sneak something by others. Especially if you handle it correctly, by apologizing immediately to the other player, and calling yourself out.

Course, we play no refs as an outlaw field. Course, I would do the same thing if I was paying to play. I'm curious to hear how others handle this?
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Screwy Q-E

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
There's no way to sort these situations out except to call everyone out or no one out. It's not usually possible to establish who shot who first, so just do the right thing as you know it's right, i.e. call yourself out as soon as you realize you're out. You can't be expected to do any better than that.

Above all, it's just a game. Play with integrity and don't worry about it too much.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

There are times when it is clearly understandable that someone didn't feel a hit- sole of a boot, pod in a pack, and those circumstances should be the primary reason we have refs.

However, there are times that drive me nuts- when I shoot someone from the side or back (and they don't know my position), and their first response (whether I hit them on the pack or, their back or arm) is to turn and shoot, rather than take cover and check for hit- in other words, folks trying for at least a one for one.

As for your behaviour, that would be perfectly acceptable on the pay to play fields I've ever been to. Try not to let it happen, and apologize when it does.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Tac vest with all kinds of crap on them get me.They are legendary for shootimg back after you put a few on them and saying I didn't feel it well your hit too!!Not saying all players with vest.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I completely agree. If you didn't feel it and can't see it than its not your fault for not noticing right away. That's what a ref us for. Once it's been brought to your attention the best you can do is call yourself out. The people you shot are still out as there's no tell who came before or after the your hit.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Say, "sh*t, thanks" and walk off the field

Be kind and leave feedback:
Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Tac vest with all kinds of crap on them get me.They are legendary for shootimg back after you put a few on them and saying I didn't feel it well your hit too!!Not saying all players with vest.
I agree. I wear a vest as I prefer my air tank on my back but, I try for minimalism with a specops paintball alias vest, especially 'cause I tend to play in warmer weather.

The more worrying trend for me is the growing popularity of 'bounce shirts' (for the milsim and speedball crowd).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Agreed its a double edge sword. On the one hand people wearing vests is a good thing since it makes it less likely to have a bounce. But on the other hand it makes it more likely that the opponent won't feel the hit. But in general I'd rather they were wearing vests than bounce clothes

Besides either way the best place to shoot someone has and always will be in the head.
Aka "wagz" on the field
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

I call myself out and take the walk. As a scenario player I know that there are times where i will not feel a shot that clearly hit my gear. I expect that out of my fellow players, but I leave it up to them to follow my example or not.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
pump snob

IMO: if possible call the other player back IN if you think you were hit first.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone