mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The New Years paintball predictions for 2013...

It's that time of year again. Time to make the big predictions on what the following year will bring in our crazy little hobby. Some educated guesses, a ton of wishful thinking, and probably a few crackpot ideas just for fun.

I predict a large increase in the more "base" levels of play. More renters for sure, but also a huge influx of inexpensive gear owners with a large push by field owners to keep and expand that demographic. Less "sell more paint", and more "fill those fields" mentality. Many experienced players will also jump on the "back to basics" band wagon, and keep a nicely tricked out blowback in their gear bag for when they want to just have fun and not scare the new players, some switching to this mindset full time. High end, ultra high end, and luxury guns will see reduced sales. Kingman, Tippmann, and Azodin have a very good year.

On a similar note, I see a push by local shop owners to bring back the good old days of aftermarket customization. Possibly with the help of one major brand who will be willing to sell them their flag ship high end for a dramatically reduced price without a reg, ASA, barrel, feed neck, or grips. Players will be then able to swap in the compatible parts from their older setups, or buy all new custom options leading to a gun that's completely different than what everybody else has.

Though as a last gasp I see one company breaking the $2000 barrier on a new gun, which will have proprietary parts on everything, possibly requiring a proprietary hopper and air tank. Many players will see this and realize that it's a bad trend.

Pump play sees a continued growth, now with a push from field owners since they play well along side the less expensive gear owner demographic. The Empire Trracer and Hammer 7 getting "mid-range" editions released by mid year with a few more metal parts (particularly a new pump arm for the Trracer) and already including a bottom line ASA.

Pistol play will also see a continued growth (see above), but a lot of players will jump on the band wagon and then quickly fall off since the learning curve is rather steep with pistol, so the used market may become a bit overcrowded with guns for sale. I don't expect much new designs in the market, except for specialty pieces.

Magazine play will also see continued growth, but I predict it will be rather strained and at times a bit weird. Someone will try to "out do" the Dye DAM and come out with a magazine fed gun that has more features, more extreme styling, and an even higher price tag. Players will continue to search for that happy middle ground, and continue to not find it. A lot of imported gear of questionable reliability will continue to get sold to try and fill the niche. The MR5 might rise to the top in this contest, depending on availability of magazines, which will prove to be the key factor in this race. Who ever has the most inexpensive, reliable, and readily available mags will rule this category. The D-mag, still a no show.

In tournament play I see the introduction of gear limitations on the lower divisions. With D5 being the metaphorical "T-ball" of tournament paintball a league will try using some sort of gear restriction (mech only? 8 bps capped semi? who knows on this one) to be the metaphorical "T". The idea being to attract more player who are unsure if tournament intense levels of play are for them, and to encourage the apparent "sand baggers" to move up to higher divisions.

Though in the highest levels of tournament play things may get shook up quite a bit when an overseas tournament series makes a push on to American soil (I'm looking at you Millennium).

That's all for now, I might edit in a few more later when they come to me.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Republican

Send a message via AIM to delta paintball

What are you basing these statement's off of?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta paintball View Post
What are you basing these statement's off of?
Oh, just paying attention, reading between the lines, and mostly just pulling guesses out of my butt. Over the years I've called a few things correctly, so I like to get the ball rolling every year or so.

Feel free to make your own guesses, that's the fun part!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd have to agree with you. I started playing again last year (oct 2012) after a five year hiatus where I left after playing competitive speedball where sponsors, life and money couldn't coexist. Coming back I noticed this trend and the first thing I did was breakout my PPS pug and quickly sell my old speedball gear. Rationally everything you've said makes sense. Hopefully the world is rational.

Cheers
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
I can't imagine reading a post that long yet alone typing something that long
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
There's this revolutionary new invention, called a "book". Try reading one from time to time.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Run with siccors!!

Send a message via Skype™ to Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Wut? I am still in High School and I read all of that without second thought.

2011 D-Day Allied CEF CanScot
2012 D-Day Allied CEF Baker Coy.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
There's this revolutionary new invention, called a "book". Try reading one from time to time.

I Really just need a computer that reads it to me.My eyes get tired of being forced to look so long in one general area. I wish threads where just read to me. I would "follow" a lot more of them if they were like the morning news when I wake up. That way I can read other threads and do things twice as efficiently.

and on that note I would agree with all of the above.
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Barned

I'm seeing speedball markers start to hit a sort've technological limit to how companies change their markers and update them. Hopefully pump will grow, and we'll see a bit more of it around. I think also seeing as how things are now companies might start to veer away from their normal markers and make other kinds [eg dye making a tactical marker, bob long making a pump, ect.] I'm hoping tiberius has something brewing down in the labs as they haven't done much in the last few years...

Again, I might be wrong but these are just my terrible guesses.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
I read books that have information worth reading
No post on here that long is ever worth the reading
And I am sum what college edumacted
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone