mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

I know there was a reported decline in growth by the paintball industry in the 2010's that didn't seem to happen here in Canada (at least here in BC where our field is located).
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I think one major difference between the two countries has had a significant impact on the two communities:

Airsoft.

In the U.S., for many years MilSim-ish players were shunned away from rec-ball with comments like ("all those useless mods", "camo does no good", etc), and those folks ended up playing airsoft, at least for awhile. This doesn't even account for the folks that airsoft draws who simply want more realistic equipment.

In Canada, it's very hard to get good airsoft equipment, therefore a higher percentage of folks interested in MilSim-ish equipment, clothing, games, get into paintball and it's more accepted there as a result. Look at how magfed paintball is much more popular north of the border than it is down here.
I believe that this is a large factor that makes paintball more popular in Canada. I do not think however that per capita we have more participants than the US. Our rules on importation and weapons classificaiton has stunted the growth of airsoft. More people choose paintball because the cost to entry has been less then airsoft and the number of organized paintball games and fields offering services are greater. This has given it a stronger hold on the market. Rules recently are changing, we are seeing huge increases in airsoft sales as restrictions have changed, however organized games seem to still be heavily weighted towards paintball as walkon and regular participation are easier to find. You may see alot more participation of Canadians on forums as well because - it gets dam cold in the winter and what the hell else do many of us do, we search for deals in the used market, many people shop online because their local store is non existent or does not offer the array of choices one desires.

Canada has some great big game offers, and has years of history doing so. We have run our largest event for 11 years going on 12. We had 819 players at our Day of the Dead 11 event. These are confirmed waivered players not inflated hype numbers, this is down from last years attendance of over 880 likely due to the previous years weather which certainly effected the performance of paint in the afternoon.

Participation in Canada has certainly not seen the downturn that the US market has experienced, likely due to a higher Canadian dollar allowing the cost of gear to be "less" expensive then previous, paintball still being a more available option to airsoft, increase in "staycations", just a few thoughts. Field and stores have certainly seen a lull, dip, loss. I just don't think its as much of a dive as many US markerts have experienced

Cheers,
Shawn

http://www.buypaintball.ca
http://www.flagswipepaintball.com

Last edited by fat-50-; 01-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.
fat-50- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

I doubt its higher but its strong. Logically Ont and Qc would make up the highest numbers. We have fewer events but numbers about 600 easy. So no, not like the states, but quite a strong community nonetheless.

Another thing I always found interesting is the montreal area. Technically, paintball should be fairly small. The city has an estimated population of 1,649,519 (2011) (add a bit more for the surrounding burbs,etc) and yet I have something like 6 decent fields within 45mins of my home.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
BudgetBaller 2.0

My City in Ontario is growing in airsoft and if anything is getting bigger than paintball
Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bricew25...ow=grid&view=0
bricew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I doubt its higher but its strong. Logically Ont and Qc would make up the highest numbers. We have fewer events but numbers about 600 easy. So no, not like the states, but quite a strong community nonetheless.

Another thing I always found interesting is the montreal area. Technically, paintball should be fairly small. The city has an estimated population of 1,649,519 (2011) (add a bit more for the surrounding burbs,etc) and yet I have something like 6 decent fields within 45mins of my home.
BC seemed to have a bunch of paintball joints when I was there in 2008. Seeing as how Tonsixers, Avratech, and a good number of our posters are from there, they're definitely up there in numbers/influence.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post

Weird huh? They probably have the highest paintball prices in North America as well.

The Vancouver/Lower Mainland area will soon have 9 paintball fields.

Here in the Victoria area, we have 3 with a population of about 300,000, half of whom have come here to live out the last few days they have left (and they haven't come to play paintball with their walkers and wheelchairs).

I think part of the reason Milsim and airsoft are not as strong here in Canada is cultural. Although we respect our military, we don't idolize them quite as much as Americans do.

Last edited by Horizon; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Weird huh? They probably have the highest paintball prices in North America as well.
Yes and that's the second thing about paintball here that I can't wrap my head around.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizen
The Vancouver/Lower Mainland area will soon have 9 paintball fields.
I count 8...where is the new one?

plus the numerous outlaw fields surrounding the area
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
The density of paintball players in Newfoundland is rather high. When I was there last, in 2010, there were two well equipped pro-shops (both with indoor fields, one speedball and one urban) and two outdoor fields (one of which had a full-size turfed XBall field). This was in St. John's, with a population of approximately 150,000. Most big games had 150-200 people turning out for them.

It was a bit of a shock coming to Vancouver. I have yet to find a good pro-shop and the fields haven't really impressed me that much. That being said, now that I have wheels I will be heading further out to check out Tsawwassen and Panther.

Last edited by idkfa; 01-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson24 View Post
I count 8...where is the new one?

plus the numerous outlaw fields surrounding the area
I honestly don't know. I was told this by one of the field owners on the mainland that tends to be in the thick of things. I'm not sure how far up the valley he was going when counting. Did you count the new one opening in Abbotsford?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone