mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Why do you play Pump/Semi? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/222414-why-do-you-play-pump-semi.html)

99BPS 01-01-2013 09:59 PM

Why do you play Pump/Semi?

This is not a question, I just wanted to make a list where people could list their PERSONAL reasons. If you play both give reasons for both -

Pump -

Save $$$

Get Better

Track my shots to Improve accuracy

Think the game is better that way

THE GEAR (even at a much lower price, I tend to think Pumps are higher quality. Our stuff just is cheaper and easier to make, so easier to make well at a lower price. No noids and other annoyances like electric hoppers, wires, ect). Instead of worrying about a 100-200$ hopper and 200$ tank we can grab a marker with that cash, a pocket hopper and a little HPA tank (60new) and play all we want. Better resale value as well for pump markers!

Semi -

Active Competition (Tourneys, ect)

More players

More Marker choice

Most fields don't have Pump only, and sometimes you want to have the same type of gear as those shooting at you.

I mostly play pump, but I only recently switched and played for a sponsored semi team for years. I want to see others PERSONAL motivations, not reasons one COULD prefer, reasons YOU DO prefer or play one or both.

TinyBear 01-01-2013 10:11 PM

I play both

Play semi cause i enjoy it. And for bigger games or when playing with more skilled players its nice to have the option to sling a bit of paint back. One of my AutoMags or DP E1 keep me more than happy here.

I play Pump cause well again i enjoy it. It helps cut down on paint use and even things out when playing with less skilled players. For this i count on my trusty Tippmann SL-68II

senghing27 01-01-2013 10:21 PM

I like playing paintball.
/thread

Falcon16 01-01-2013 10:26 PM

I personally play pump as I got tired of blowing tons of money on paint and I really enjoyed having a lighter setup that allowed me to play to my strengths sheer running speed being my biggest asset. I've also found that with the local scene there's no need for a crazy fast gun most of the time. The scene is changing to favor pump/pistol. I do keep a couple semis for big games etc but other than that pump is great. Especially SC for private games. I don't have to worry about running out of air I just grab a box of 12g's on the way to the game and I'm set to shoot a case if we played long enough haha.

Patar 01-01-2013 10:28 PM

I play pump because I'm broke, and I like the challenge.

Also because I guess I'm a paintball hipster by doing something that's "out of the norm" on purpose...

99BPS 01-01-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senghing27 (Post 2579139)
I like playing paintball.
/thread

People are super resistant to certain conversions and to be be honest I don't understand it. I made a point to be VERY clear this was not intended to be a comparison of the two versions.

This is not intended to be a pump vs semi type thing, so I see no reason for the whole "oh, this is a pointless conversions." I enjoy playing paintball too, which is what created the choice between the two in the first place.

The question then becomes, on any given day of play what makes me want to play either style of possible paintball. I think people have more interesting reasons (and very different reasons) for their personal preferences.

To be honest, one of the major reasons I created this thread was to look for a clever defense of semi play. I personally find the arguments that semi play decreases overall focus on skill and increases equipment focus 1000%. But I also was never able to afford semi 100% and am somewhat bias. My old team was poorly sponsored so even when I played for them semi was hard on my wallet. I'm not judging and KNOW that people have good reasons for liking semi better, I want to hear them. But I also want to know what others reasons for preferring pump (esp. preferring pump in open rec games). I find it interesting, but am almost sure this is going to turn into a thread I don't want to read quickly.

I was wrong, the replies that came up while I was typing were all great. Faith in mcb restored haha :)

Patar 01-01-2013 10:39 PM

I intend on getting an automag as my primary semi gun in the near future, and because the exact reason Tiny said. My cousin brought this point up to me the other day as well..

there's going to be moment where you wish you could have shot faster/more. In most moments playing pump feels like a challenge in the name of entertainment, but in some moments it will truly feel crippling. Like in a walk-on game, a guy coming up to bunker you on your opposite side? Highly likely to miss your shot when you have to turn around, pump, and fire an accurate shot all in reaction to his move. If his gun shoots faster than yours, he has dozens more chances to shoot you out. You have one ball, and if you're lucky you can pump off a couple more.

That's why autotrigger exists, right? Semi when you need it, but instead of pulling the trigger you pump it.

But I think it'd be cool to see 2 evenly matched players who are experienced stock class pumpers to play against each other. one with a pump gun of their choice and the other with a semi. A primarily pump player with a semi is still going to pick their shots and be nimble and play intelligently. They just have the option to shoot faster by eliminating the pumping movement. Someone who wasn't taught to use a fast gun as a crutch simply won't!

Just my thoughts :D

tjd10684 01-01-2013 10:44 PM

I was making a hard push for myself to play mostly pump this year but it kinda petered out into mech semi. I wanted to play more pump to save money and increase my skills but the paint at my local field is sometimes sketchy so you will get barrel breaks if you use the higher end stuff but if you use the lower end stuff it does not always break on target. it gets extremely frustrating when playing pump. So I migrated to mech semi. I still keep my electros nearby but they don't get the play time they once did.

808Jackal 01-01-2013 10:52 PM

I play stock class cause I'm poor and I don't like getting shot a lot LOL. I also like to introduce people to paintball through stock class for similar reasons. My team is like minded, we are poor and out for a few laughs.

On a side note, I've never been successful with a semi really.

JJaxx 01-01-2013 11:12 PM

I prefer pump:

Lighter gear
no hopper to get shot
easier on the $$$
focus more on game play

Fits my play style better. Move up get angle THEN shoot.