mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I could try these out. I need some new non-field boots. That way if they suck it wont be like i cant swap them : ) right now im using OTB Bushmasters for the massive ankle support and cusion. They are still very light, I use them for long road marches to upwards of 15 miles

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Man, I was so well know for my love of jungles that I had to report to my 1SG every morning during winter so he could make sure I was wearing those clunky goretex boots.

Doesn't mean they made it past first formation though...
Clunky Goretex boots? What about those winter boots that had the quilted lining? I still have mine somewhere, I can't remember what the tag called them but, dang they did not flex for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxerexx View Post
Those look awesome, I'd love to try something that breathes better than my Magnum spiders (elite 8.0) which are pretty decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
I could try these out. I need some new non-field boots. That way if they suck it wont be like i cant swap them : ) right now im using OTB Bushmasters for the massive ankle support and cusion. They are still very light, I use them for long road marches to upwards of 15 miles
Be advised, these are minimalist boots meaning that you need to be used to running and walking barefoot before you start playing in these. Otherwise, serious shin splints, foot and joint injuries can occur.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

The Nike sfb looks good too

It would be nice if there was a store near me to try these on
I hate just going off reviews alone. Depending on price I could get into these. I've never wanted to try the vff cause of the individual toes. But I wear something akin to chucks now during games and have no problems. But than I also put an arch support inside mine. I've also though of getting the minimus trail shoe I think they have. I'm not gonna a wear one with bright colors.

Do any of you who wear minimalist foot wear find that for trail running and generally woods type stuff you like it but hate iit for track running. I don't know what it is but when I run on a track or a treadmill I need a heavy heel cushion
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 01-04-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
If you are looking at starting with minimalist type footwear I would suggest reading some of the helpful tips on sites like birthdayshoes.com and vibram5fingers.com

I played all of LL5 in a pair of Treksport VFFs after 5 months of MMA training and everyday walking/running in them. The only thing I had happen was a blister on the bottom of my right heel and a little muscle soreness.

Make sure to acclimate your body to wearing the minimalist boots properly and you will love them
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
The Nike sfb looks good too

It would be nice if there was a store near me to try these on
I hate just going off reviews alone. Depending on price I could get into these. I've never wanted to try the vff cause of the individual toes. But I wear something akin to chucks now during games and have no problems. But than I also put an arch support inside mine. I've also though of getting the minimus trail shoe I think they have. I'm not gonna a wear one with bright colors.

Do any of you who wear minimalist foot wear find that for trail running and generally woods type stuff you like it but hate iit for track running. I don't know what it is but when I run on a track or a treadmill I need a heavy heel cushion
If the Nike shoes weren't so narrow in the toes, I'd recommend the SFB as a transitional shoe -meaning go from regular boots to the SFBs, learn how to run and walk in the SFBs, and when ready to ditch the padding, move to these boots.

You have to learn how to walk and run in true, minimalist shoes. Most likely, you're still landing with your heel, and the track and treadmill aren't as forgiving as the earth in the woods, or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoPossum View Post
If you are looking at starting with minimalist type footwear I would suggest reading some of the helpful tips on sites like birthdayshoes.com and vibram5fingers.com

Make sure to acclimate your body to wearing the minimalist boots properly and you will love them
Quoted for Truth!!
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ok... Reading the articles you have my attention. Do you feel that a minimalist shoe is good for someone who stands on concrete all day? I'm thinking of getting the boots now. Also, my state police agility test is up soon and I WAS going to get something with heavy heal cushioning. But if you honestly think this will help my performance. Bearing in mind after I get used to them. Maybe I'll get a vff track Shoe?
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Clunky Goretex boots? What about those winter boots that had the quilted lining? I still have mine somewhere, I can't remember what the tag called them but, dang they did not flex for anything.
Sounds like you're describing the Rocky ECW boots. You're right, Those things had as much flexion as a concrete block. The goretex Bellevilles were night and day in comparison, but still clunky IMO. I never liked them, then again we had guys that wore them year round and preferred them to the hot weather bellevilles. :shrug

I was all about my desert jungle boots. The soles wore out quick, especially in rough terrain, but I loved 'em.

Quote:
That's because you're doing it wrong. Seriously. You're still heel striking like you're running in conventional shoes. Going minimalist you need to retrain yourself to stop heel striking or you're looking at possibly serious injury.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
That is, unless the toe box doesn't let your toes spread far enough laterally. If the sole is a bit thicker then it might cut your sensitivity down some but, probably leagues ahead of any issue boot.
I somehow read over the toebox part before. That's indeed an issue, especially since I need an extra wide shoe. Unfortunately for me that means never being able to buy shoes cheap on the net, though it does mean I always get a shoe that fits properly.

I'll probably have to make the 2hr trek to Springfield to find a place that carries the Belleville TR101s.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Sounds like you're describing the Rocky ECW boots. You're right, Those things had as much flexion as a concrete block. The goretex Bellevilles were night and day in comparison, but still clunky IMO. I never liked them, then again we had guys that wore them year round and preferred them to the hot weather bellevilles. :shrug

I was all about my desert jungle boots. The soles wore out quick, especially in rough terrain, but I loved 'em.

That's because you're doing it wrong. Seriously. You're still heel striking like you're running in conventional shoes. Going minimalist you need to retrain yourself to stop heel striking or you're looking at possibly serious injury.
Well clearly but forgive me I'm still am very new to all this
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Well clearly but forgive me I'm still am very new to all this
Wasn't beating you up at all man. Getting into minimalist shoes is something you have to work into slowly so your body can adapt. If you jump in all full of zeal you can get yourself into some serious trouble.

IMO the health benefits are worth it in the long run. At least they are socially acceptable. If I could get away with it, I'd just go pure barefoot.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone