mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well than I doubt I could get used to them by the 15th. But for future endeavors do you feel they really enhance performance. Speed stamina etc. Or do you train in these and then switch back
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I do personally, some people don't. For me it's more about lifestyle. You definitely develop different muscles. I caution the aspect of jumping into it to fast because I developed an overuse injury myself when I first got into VFF, and I had already spent a lot of time barefoot and even occasionally ran barefoot.

It's definitely something to work into, because you can over do it initially.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Jeeze wwhat an overwhelming surge info. It's just like weight lifting. One group of people who says this and another said that. What really works? No telling unless you try it out for yourself. But I'm not made of money I want the running shoe I to buy this weekend to be the right running shoe to buy
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Just think about it. You're talking about a shoe design totally different from what you're used to. One design of shoe that you've likely used most of your life and has resulted in a lot of muscle atrophy due to lack of use, the other forces you to use groups of muscles that you've likely not used in decades in most cases.

It's going to take some time before you notice the benefits. In our society addicted to instant gratification it's easy to see how some people will bash it or call it a fad. For what you're describing I'd stick with something you're used to, then start dabbling in minimalist shoes when you have the time and money.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
John, did they make you guys rotate between boots and sneakers your first week of basic so you could get used to wearing the boots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Ok... Reading the articles you have my attention. Do you feel that a minimalist shoe is good for someone who stands on concrete all day? I'm thinking of getting the boots now. Also, my state police agility test is up soon and I WAS going to get something with heavy heal cushioning. But if you honestly think this will help my performance. Bearing in mind after I get used to them. Maybe I'll get a vff track Shoe?
I stand a lot at work a lot (I teach), often on those office carpet floors (concrete with a layer of non-shag carpet) and what I noticed once I started wearing them full-time- my feet still felt tired / borderline sore at the end of the day but, it'd take me much less time to recover- in other words sitting at the couch for an hour or two at night, and blam pain / fatigue gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Sounds like you're describing the Rocky ECW boots. You're right, Those things had as much flexion as a concrete block. The goretex Bellevilles were night and day in comparison, but still clunky IMO. I never liked them, then again we had guys that wore them year round and preferred them to the hot weather bellevilles. :shrug

I was all about my desert jungle boots. The soles wore out quick, especially in rough terrain, but I loved 'em.
I just checked them out- I thought there was an NSN tag / stamp in them, nothing. However, guess what's on the bottom? Vibram :P They used Vibram for the treads. And jacked up the boots with everything between the sockliner and the treads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I somehow read over the toebox part before. That's indeed an issue, especially since I need an extra wide shoe. Unfortunately for me that means never being able to buy shoes cheap on the net, though it does mean I always get a shoe that fits properly.

I'll probably have to make the 2hr trek to Springfield to find a place that carries the Belleville TR101s.
When I first tried to pick up my running shoes (after I had been wearing the Vivobarefoots), The Nike's Frees simply felt too tight around the toes. I settled on The New Balance Minimus line because while they didn't feel as loose/free as the Vivo's, they didn't feel as constrictive.

If you buy direct from Belleville, they have a fair return policy:

Quote:
RETURNS: If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with the boots you purchased directly from us and would like a refund, return them unused to Belleville within 30 days and we'll refund 100% of the price of the boots, excluding any shipping charges. If you return unworn merchandise after the 30-day period, but within 90 days of purchase, we will offer a merchandise credit to use for your next purchase. No refunds will be offered for boots returned after the 30-day period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Well than I doubt I could get used to them by the 15th. But for future endeavors do you feel they really enhance performance. Speed stamina etc. Or do you train in these and then switch back
Right, by the 15th is a no-go.

I've read a lot of the literature and this is how I simply think about it: Minimalist shoes (to include barefoot styles like the VFFs) allow your feet to behave closer to how they were intended. Also, as running shoe soles have gotten, thicker, more stabilizing, with increasing amounts of cushion, running related injuries to the lower extremities and back have steadily climbed.

The hardest parts of adopting minimalist footwear is being patient enough to gradually get into them, and then re-learning how to run in them. Sprinting requires re-learning as well.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good reminder uv halo. I've already been slowly transitioning towards minimalist footwear and am used to wearing shoes with no padding or arch support so these are a nifty looking future option for me
xxerexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
John, did they make you guys rotate between boots and sneakers your first week of basic so you could get used to wearing the boots?
No way. Running shoes were for PT only, though we were "required" to rotate two pairs of boots.

That was before they started issuing Bellevilles though. They don't require any break in from my experience. Compared to the original all leather boots the Bellevilles feel like running shoes.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
We had a week of Boots in the a.m. and running shoes in the evening. You could always tell the newbies because they were sporting the sneakers. They were known as sneaker-weekers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
We had a week of Boots in the a.m. and running shoes in the evening. You could always tell the newbies because they were sporting the sneakers. They were known as sneaker-weekers.
Gotta love the Airforce.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone