mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Minimalist (near barefoot) Combat Boots (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/222557-minimalist-near-barefoot-combat-boots.html)

uv_halo 01-03-2013 05:02 PM

Minimalist (near barefoot) Combat Boots

Just passing this along for woodsballers interested in minimalist footware.

Apparently, Belleville Boot (long time combat/tactical boot manufacturer) has released a minimalist (5mm drop) tactical boot called the TR10*.

http://www.bellevilleboot.com/shop/i...101_detail.png

Given their published stats (below) it appears that the photo may be a little deceiving when it comes to the sole thickness. I suspect (I don't have a pair yet myself) that the sides actually come up a bit much like my Vivobarefoot Ra's (minimalist oxford).

Presently, they're selling in Black (TR102) and Tan (TR101), and Sage Green (like the U.S. Air Force boots, TR103). Onto the stats:
  • A true minimalist boot with a 5 millimeter “drop”
  • Exclusive Vibram® “Tarsus” oil and slip resistant rubber
  • Highly breathable unlined leather & nylon upper
  • Double & triple stitched seams for enhanced durability
  • Padded Achilles support
  • 8” height
  • Less than 2lbs per pair

The only question I have is 'how wide is the toe box?' When I first got into barefoot style footware (I have running and working shoes now), I tried the Nike Free line and they felt to narrow in the toe, so I expect that the Nike SFBs are similar as well as having too much EVA.

Kearns 01-03-2013 05:39 PM

The Nike SFBs were my go to boot at ranger school (minus mountain phase) and for most of the jumps. They may have a little more cushion than the boots you mentioned, but if they were good enough for ranger school and airborne operations, they are good for paintball. The uppers look almost identical to the nikes. I will have to give them a try and see how they do.

uv_halo 01-03-2013 07:04 PM

I wasn't knocking the performance of the SFBs but rather pointing out that they aren't really 'minimalist' shoes. Certainly better than all of the tactical boots before them but, certainly not the end of the conversation.

shredxcam 01-03-2013 08:06 PM

If only they had a composite toe for flight line folks. I used to live in Belleville down the street from that place

The belleville boots I have now would be horrible for paintball
But those look awesome

Mr. Hick 01-03-2013 08:36 PM

funny how it looks like they are just bringing jungles (the real ones, not the new desert boots that look like jungle rip offs) back with a different sole. I modded my jungles very similar to these back before the aftermarket really took off for foot wear. they even had slim vibram soles... I think I will have to try and find a pair. I need some good summer work boots with vents.

Deuce 01-04-2013 12:20 AM

I'm not too sure about that sole, but this is an interesting development for sure. I'm still using my issue Bellevilles for paintball but only because I don't like stopping mid game to pull grass and debris out of my VFF.

agentSmith 01-04-2013 04:46 AM

I'm going for a pair of these, I've been checking into them. The reviews say they don't quite match the feel of the 5fingers, but that helps a bit in protection. I hope to have them by the end of the month. They also come in black and airforce green.
Belleville worked with vibram(5fingers and soles for most other boots), so I'm optimistic!
Rob

uv_halo 01-04-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 2581341)
I'm not too sure about that sole, but this is an interesting development for sure. I'm still using my issue Bellevilles for paintball but only because I don't like stopping mid game to pull grass and debris out of my VFF.

I'm guessing that if you're good with wearing VFFs for for paintball (i.e. you are comfortable with the feel of the ground) but, you don't want or need individual toe compartments, these could be good for you. That is, unless the toe box doesn't let your toes spread far enough laterally. If the sole is a bit thicker then it might cut your sensitivity down some but, probably leagues ahead of any issue boot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentSmith (Post 2581496)
I'm going for a pair of these, I've been checking into them. The reviews say they don't quite match the feel of the 5fingers, but that helps a bit in protection. I hope to have them by the end of the month. They also come in black and airforce green.
Belleville worked with vibram(5fingers and soles for most other boots), so I'm optimistic!
Rob

I probably will soon as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hick (Post 2581048)
funny how it looks like they are just bringing jungles (the real ones, not the new desert boots that look like jungle rip offs) back with a different sole. I modded my jungles very similar to these back before the aftermarket really took off for foot wear. they even had slim vibram soles... I think I will have to try and find a pair. I need some good summer work boots with vents.

The original jungle boots were all about minimalist uppers simply due to heat and moisture associated with those environments so, so it only makes sense.

Deuce 01-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uv_halo (Post 2581719)
The original jungle boots were all about minimalist uppers simply due to heat and moisture associated with those environments so, so it only makes sense.

Man, I was so well know for my love of jungles that I had to report to my 1SG every morning during winter so he could make sure I was wearing those clunky goretex boots.

Doesn't mean they made it past first formation though... :D

xxerexx 01-04-2013 02:53 PM

Those look awesome, I'd love to try something that breathes better than my Magnum spiders (elite 8.0) which are pretty decent.