mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
No walk on's ??

In all my years I have never seen or heard of this policy at a field.Have you??Attendance has been hit and miss at the field for a while.I can understand driving out setting up and no one shows is frustrating.With no advertising exept by word of mouth it's almost an outlaw field.15minutes away is a field that is packed and has to turn away renters on most weekends.All the players there say they never heard of it.It's not on the front page and thats scary.
The Paintball Zone | Where the Real Action is!

Beginning in Oct. 2012 ... We will be operating under... RESERVATIONS ONLY!
NO WALK-ONS!

A NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT WILL BE REQUIRED.

The amount of the deposit will be the number of people that you are reserving, times the entry fee of $15 per person.

EXAMPLE: If 6 people will be coming in your group, 6 x $15 = a $90.00 deposit.

If we do not have enough people reserved to open on any Sat. or the last Sun. of each month, we will cancel, and we will not be open that day.

If we cancel, your deposit will be refunded. IF YOU CANCEL, THERE WILL BE NO REFUND.

We look forward to serving you! We appreciate your business!

Thank you, Diane
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I can't recall the last time I heard it but, yes, I've heard of this happening before. I can see it happening if someone owns (vice leases) the land, and they aren't making enough money to dedicate a routine workforce without consideration of the turnout.

If someone's leasing the land, they typically shut down permanently even sooner.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Very common thing in less populated areas. A little unusual for a place that is only 15 minutes away from a packed field.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
There could be several explanations, but all indicate seriously that the field may not be operating for much longer:

1. Low demand: Business does not support paying refs on speculation walk ons will show
2. Owner unavailable: Due to other employment, medical issues, etc., the operator needs to be able to control what dates/times there is activity at the field
3. Other activities: The owner wants to have some weekends free to do other things at the premises. One option would be to do walk-throughs with prospective buyers/developers.
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Fields that do this are usually on a quick road to going bankrupt. It's simply a ploy to stave off the inevitable. With that said I've seen a local field where the owner died, then his long time GF took it over and ran it into the ground (the field was still there and it never went OOB but there was basically no games at the field for a long time) then it was bought up by one of the local players and he runs it now actually pretty well. Though with that said it's become more of an airsoft field and paintball appears to be more of a sideline now.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Local field has walk on days.
Walk Ons | Ambush Paintball & Airsoft Park

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

What field is that close? I always assumed extreme was and that was 30-45 minutes away. Sucks it has come down to this always wanted to try it out. It seems like the only good woods ball place within an hour of the bay area but that's always turned me away from going. The only reason I know about this field was because I actively sought it out because of lack of good woods besides the jungle. A little advertising would go long way

Last edited by Duybuin; 01-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
With that said I've seen a local field where the owner died, then his long time GF took it over and ran it into the ground (the field was still there and it never went OOB but there was basically no games at the field for a long time)
That's what happened here. The owner died 3 years ago and now his non-pb-playing wife runs it.

It's a pretty decent field and it would be a shame if it disappeared.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Like I said HurtCow the field was basically completely OOB and just the proshop was the business, they still technically owned the field and all the buildings and field setup and stuff was there but it literally was essentially unused for about 2 years until she sold it to the guy that used to play for the store's team way back when and then he revived it and true there is a good crowd of pb players but they attract way more AS players and even the proshop is about 50-60% AS stuff now and the PB stuff is mostly milsim with a few speedball and pump markers thrown in and they do sell the odd pistol or 2 but it's really changed. It used to be a basically speedball shop with a milsim side and now it's the other way around. Kinda sad imho. I will say though that the guy that runs the shop cut me a killer deal on my GBB KJW 1911 I bought for plinking around at paper targets. cheaper and just as accurate as a crossman BB gun at the ranges i use it at

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
Fields that do this are usually on a quick road to going bankrupt. It's simply a ploy to stave off the inevitable. With that said I've seen a local field where the owner died, then his long time GF took it over and ran it into the ground (the field was still there and it never went OOB but there was basically no games at the field for a long time) then it was bought up by one of the local players and he runs it now actually pretty well. Though with that said it's become more of an airsoft field and paintball appears to be more of a sideline now.
What the cow is saying is this field has the same story as the one your refering to.Owner died wife who has no pb knowledge takes over runs into ground.As a pb community we all came to her aid and help after the loss.Putting on a game with everything donated and ran by volunters I kept up the field on my free time never asking for anything but getting to play for free on the occasion I could play.I made videos promoted the hell out of the place.It's a great field it needs help !!Both buisness and field wise.Theres only so much you can do on a budget of zero.
The extreme pb park is 18 miles away and packed all weekend they do a great job out there and have 2 or 3 trees on the whole field haha!!Not much of a woodsball place.
She blames other fields,store's and players for poor attendance saying they tell people not to go there.None of thats true we would never say that. I am not saying it now.You can't throw seeds out and hope you'll have food when winter comes.It takes work to have a good buisness.Spending 1 day a week at the field that is your only income?With some work and promotion this could be a powerhouse woodsball field.These fields are in california I live smack in the middle of them.
Go out there and play just call ahead first.

Last edited by casper; 01-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone