mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Everyone who's goin nuts should read the original post i was replying too. I had the same attitude the original reply did. "hesitant to give advice at all" and tells me to shoot them over the chrono. Look no one has to read this post or help me, but if your gunna reply it may as well be constructive. If you read even a few lines you know I already said shooting markers for a few secs tells you LESS then asking owners about them. Which is why I ask, people don't have to reply and can feel free not too of course. But I'll reply with the same attitude I'm given. I played for years, I know to shoot a marker. I am asking about a group of VERY expensive markers I'm not just going to run into. So i want to ask people who have owned/been around them a good deal.

Senghing27 - (A he's been awesome the whole time, nothing but good solid advice clearly relevant to my exact request.) Hows the upkeep on it? (assuming you've owned em before) I've heard nothing but AWESOME things about this company. Thanks for the advice, that price is right .

Saintnior - This was another marker I had in mind. Do you/did you own one? How is the upkeep? The profile seems PERFECT for what I am thinking of, and I hear they just RUN.
Can you find these around these days?
Is the company still providing parts/support/running?
How much do they go for?
Thanks for the advice!
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

To be honest it sounds like you really just need to get either an Ego(insert whatever year you can find in your price range here) or a Vice... They'd probably be your best bet to fill all your criteria...

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
On the vice - Teching the vice's typically gives me fits, and I always have FSDO problems. I REALLY love Bob's markers, but until I get better at tuning them or they get simply I'm just not sure they will be for me.

Why do you think an Ego would fit my criteria better then the Alien Independence or the borg RX? I know Ego's they were around when I played. I always wanted just a little more heft on the marker when I was shouldering friends egos. I almost feel like the Borg RX is a slightly larger ego (shape wise) from the pics, which seems like it would be perfect.

Looks like the Borg is a bit smaller overall then my Pimp, while being much lighter. Buut it still has all the room I want on the trigger frame, and should shoulder and sight super similarly.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I have a long day at work, so banter just gets zoned out.

I was the pseudo-tech for my school's NCPA team. So I teched various markers and got to steal peoples' stuff for a game or two.

There is only so much you can get for a "feel" when borrowing it over the chrono. You get a better sense of how the marker handles when you actually play. That being said, not a whole lot of people are willing to hand over you his/her marker for a game or two unless you know them pretty well or have collateral.

Anywho.
The RX handles fine, but then again that is my preference and how I play. I'm a pretty short player, 5'5, Snake/front, and semi/electros bore the crap out of me.

The RX is relatively easy to upkeep. You twist the bolt, pull out, clean the orings, grease, reinstall. Macdev is a great company, but their customer service in North America is meh at best. They have stepped up their service, but it could be better when compared to giants such as Dye and Planet Eclipse.

I've merely fondled the alien and it didn't feel right in my hands. Can't really expound on that.

I do suggest taking a look at the Ego platform. I understand that you like hefty markers, but when you throw a hopper, tank, pod pack, etc.... Weight doesn't really matter at that point.

Any of the new Egos are really easy to take care of, the newest version has that adjustable solenoid for feel which is a pretty cool feature.

Any information over the net is great, but you're going to either have to play with it in person, or bite bullet and hope you like it.

Good luck.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
On the vice - Teching the vice's typically gives me fits, and I always have FSDO problems. I REALLY love Bob's markers, but until I get better at tuning them or they get simply I'm just not sure they will be for me.

Why do you think an Ego would fit my criteria better then the Alien Independence or the borg RX? I know Ego's they were around when I played. I always wanted just a little more heft on the marker when I was shouldering friends egos. I almost feel like the Borg RX is a slightly larger ego (shape wise) from the pics, which seems like it would be perfect.

Looks like the Borg is a bit smaller overall then my Pimp, while being much lighter. Buut it still has all the room I want on the trigger frame, and should shoulder and sight super similarly.
I'm not 100% sure why you'd have FSDO on a poppet in general. The Vice is one of those high ends that as long as it's sitting in the right pressure range, it'll shoot itself to death. Same can be said for an Ego, but pressure range doesn't play as big a roll.

As far as the Alien or the Borg go, I LOVE Macdev, but tech support for them is somewhat limited. As are replacement parts. Alien is a smaller company, so again parts. How many Egos have you seen on the field? How many Alien markers?

I'd honestly lean more to the Ego for you. It doesn't sound like you really wanna tech markers. The Ego if it does go down, you can probably fix yourself without special tools. Plus, again, parts are everywhere.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would suggest a used Ego 10. They are abundant, cheap, easy to maintain, easy parts to get if needed good on batteries and factory fast setting is perfect. The 13 is about to come out and this should drop prices dramatically. I personally love the feel of it and its quiet sound signature. I have been playing since 1991 and a owned a few markers in my time, this one really is a gem. Just my $.02
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
So i'm going to have to get my hands on a Borg RX and a newer ego (newer then the 6/7s i've shot many times).

I've been talking to a friend who shoots a Borg and he's pretty high on it, which is why it's sticking in my mind.

My Pimps never stayed down for more then a week in 7 years of ownership, i can source parts just fine. I'm also pretty good at finding people to tech it when the mother company isn't around.

But I'm seeing MUCH better deals on Egos then RX's. The RXs i'm seeing are all like 600-700 which is way unreasonable given the age.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Phone winner.

Spyder Targa. Get it and don't look back.
El Super Beasto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Lol love the vertical co2, its a GREAT place to hold the marker.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
DD68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone