mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

xball scenario is great, IF you get fresh stuff... Course, lately they have been carrying Empire at Dick's instead, I think it is called empire muntions... I used to shoot munitions years ago and it is really good low end paint. Has a gloss brittle shell and works great with backspin barrels like the Apex or flatline.

I get breaks at long range often with it. It runs about $39.99 a case, but is camo so hard to see if you are one of those players that watches their paint fly and adjusts their shot based on the flight path...

Here is a little video I made on this subject...

PSA Paintball Selection Friends don't let Friends buy Paint without LOOKing at it first! - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuTx2EP4u4
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kethdredd View Post
I have an 11 year old that doesn't know the meaning of trigger control for one thing. Trust me, if it was just me, I would buy some mid grade paint and call it good.
Listen to Justus. Buy the absolute best paint you can afford, period, end of story, fin.

And if you have an 11-year old with ITFS (itchy trigger-finger syndrome), now is the time to start working on trigger discipline, as well as responsibility. Make the youngster pay for it.

Seriously, this is the one area of paintball that I cannot comprehend. Folk who prefer woods ball to air ball? I get it. Folk who prefer air ball to woods ball? I get it. Folk who prefer pump? I get it. Folk who prefer mech? I get it. Folk who prefer electro? I get it.

Folk who want to compromise on paint? I don't get it.

Unless you are bunkering someone or in some other CQB situation, then, no matter what your skill and equipment, when you pull the trigger, the only thing that matters is the quality of your paint.

Your paint doesn't care what sort of pod it came from, and from what sort of loader it was fed, into what sort of marker, out of what sort of barrel.

Paint only cares how well it was made, and how well it has been stored and handled until the time you shoot it. And that is all you should care about.

Paintball is not the cheapest sport. You are spending money on equipment, or rental gear, or something. Skimp on your loader, your marker, your barrel, whatever. But not your protective gear, and not your paint.

Whatever setup you are running, the quality of your paint is the weakest link. All things being equal, your day will only be as good as the paint you shoot, so for the love of the children and everything good and noble, buy the best you can get, and enjoy yourself.

Cheers.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 01-14-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
^^ well said ^^

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Thank you!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I welcome anyone to counsel my son on trigger control. He certainly won't listen to me about it. I've harped on him about it enough, do it too much and paintball just isn't too fun for us. It drives me nuts though, he will shoot at people he has no chance of hitting. We played a 20 ball match on Sunday, I was laughing my *** off, he was out of paint in 15 seconds or so.

I think that I'm going to buy him the cheapest paint I can find and buy some decent paint for myself.
kethdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

Make him use a pump! Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Comparing a SP product to a CCM is like comparing dog crap to Lemon Meriegn Pie.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstgump View Post
Make him use a pump! Boom.
Yeah, this would do it.

You are the bigger of the two of you. You may not be able to physically control his trigger during a game, but you sure as anything can control his access to paint. Make him use only a pod or hopper per game, or similar.

At some point necessity will kick in and force him to be conservative.

Incidentally, it will also force him to actually play, rather than spray and pray.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
What some of your favorite paints? I've used marbs or evil for a long time, but would like to hear some of your guys favorite stuff.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post

Your paint doesn't care what sort of pod it came from, and from what sort of loader it was fed, into what sort of marker, out of what sort of barrel.

Paint only cares how well it was made, and how well it has been stored and handled until the time you shoot it. And that is all you should care about.

Cheers.
right because paint is a honeybadger and you should be too.

True to an extant, but if the cheaper paint is shooting fine, why spend an extra $10-25. It just depends on how good both actually are in your area. My local field paint is pretty good most days, sometimes the best I could expect. the tourney paint didn't really seem to shoot anybetter.

on trigger control: paying for it himself via jobs around the house or something could be a idea other ways include making him play hopperball or buying a mini hopper and play with that and no pods. Or the best way may be to buy a used pump, teach him to not hose and move more.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Blond View Post
right because paint is a honeybadger and you should be too.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...-Dont-Care.jpg

True to an extant, but if the cheaper paint is shooting fine, why spend an extra $10-25. It just depends on how good both actually are in your area. My local field paint is pretty good most days, sometimes the best I could expect. the tourney paint didn't really seem to shoot any better.
Not "true to an extent"; just 'true.'

Read my post carefully. I never suggested that paint cares how much you paid for it, or what name is on the label, nor did I suggest buying the most expensive paint. I specifically emphasized quality, not money.

We don't disagree in any respect.

A free bag of fresh, well-kept Marbs is less expensive than a case of whatever Walmart is stocking, but rest assured in that case I'm going with what is cheapest.

And it is true that in many cases, some of the 'mid-grade' stuff is nice and round and consistent, has good fill and good shell, and works just dandy. In that case, paying a bunch extra for tourney grade is silly.

But there is a learning curve involved that requires some basic knowledge of brands, grades, and fills, and the willingness to pay out for the good stuff, or at least, the better stuff when the situation warrants. There is also the matter of what is available at a given place, and how it has been stored. I've played fields where the best they had was garbage, and the worst was execrable. But in that case I still bought the best garbage they had.

There is also the matter of working with people you can trust, and who can give you advice. A good field will stock good paint, and store it well, because they want people to enjoy playing there. And a good place will want to earn your business, and usually the folk there are willing to tell you what is shooting nicely, and what isn't, even if the more expensive stuff is on the low end, or is only negligibly better.

But as the OP specifically reference big box stores, all the above is to say this: I simply don't know the quality of their paint, and neither does anyone else. And that is the problem.

If I'm laying down money, I want to know exactly what I'm getting. How long has that box been sitting there? How many kids in the stock room played soccer with it, or flung it on and off the pallets?

There's also another consideration: It's little skin off Walmart's back if I don't buy their paint.

My local field is another matter. They are providing me not only with a place to play, and refs, and air, and all that, but also a good product of a known quality, together with advice. And it certainly is skin off their back if I don't buy my paint from them.

They need me, and I need them. The more I help them, the more successful they can be. And the more successful they are, the better they can make my day of play. And the better my day of play, the more likely I am to continue supporting them, and encouraging others to do so. Our field is constantly building and upgrading, and they don't have the luxury of forced elf labor. We, the players, support them.

Now, of course, some folk don't have local fields, and they need to get paint. But then at least go with a reputable online paintball dealer, so that you will get a known product, and certainly more bang for the buck than a box store.

On the flip side of this, but in the same vein, there are fields who peddle garbage because they think they are giving a better 'value' to their players. That kind of thinking should be corrected, not supported.

At some point, when people stop supporting quality, they will stop getting it. And when they keep supporting garbage, they will keep getting it. Companies keep cranking out bad stuff, and ignorant/careless merchants keep peddling it, because people keep buying it. Someone at least should make the case for taking the higher, harder path.

So make like a honey badger, and buy the best paint you can get.

Err . . . yeah.

Rant over for now.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone