mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Barned

So you'll be doing lessons?
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
So you'll be doing lessons?
Me personally, nope! That would be horrible!

But our field owner will be doing them in the new year!
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
I am paintball in Montana

I've subscribed- we've been discussing doing something like this at our field for a while but a little overwhelmed by where to start. It will be very helpfull to have a guideline.

my feedback
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
Hi, if thats you viewing the document right now I just messaged you in the chat
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #35 (permalink)

I think this is a great idea. I play with my kids and the guy that runs the field does take the time to do some coaching. He plays for a local team and he goes way out of his way to teach the new comers. When I heard of this it made it easier for me to introduce my kids into it, even though I knew what paintball was. Not only this makes it easier on the parents but on that new comers. That new comer doesn't have to really walk in into the lions den to learn to play. This is one of those things that really discourage new players and some of them don't return to paintball. They are out there with those cheap rentals while they are getting blasted by higher end markers. During this lessons they are playing with people in the same level or around the same level as they and are most likely using the same marker. This not only gives them techniques to use but also builds confidence.

For those that saying there is no unified way of playing, I agree. There isn't a unified way of doing any sports though or anything for that matter. You teach what you know and with experience those "student" will adjust those lessons and develop them in their own way, just as we did. We do it with everything. I'm pretty sure you don't drive like you were taught.

Last edited by MR_Rick; 01-23-2013 at 11:07 PM.
MR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penarol10 View Post
How are you doing with this? Im going to stay working on the idea of getting this going. I feel that I am not the best suited to write the content of the curriculum...there are a lot more experienced people than I that could do a better job.

BUT!!! What I have been doing since last week, beyond my local field, is to talk with those in the industry to get a big picture push going.

I have one great commitment, that I am waiting for to go public. At that time, we will have a mechanism to publish - on a large scale - this curriculum. So please keep working on it.

From what I just read, it looks pretty damn good!

My fingers are crossed that these guys will be going public by the end of this week.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penarol10 View Post
I just was on the document and saw you there as well and sent you a message. We have a field wanting to use the lesson plan. I have sent them to it.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
I am paintball in Montana

any new news on this?

my feedback
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #39 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeddemon View Post
any new news on this?
arghh....yes...BUT!! I cant tell you until its live. Trust me this is soooo!!! hard cause I want to tell everybody....

Its going to be awesome...
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

I know I am late to this discussion...but it is a great discussion.

Some folks pointed out that it may not work everywhere, and that is true, but that does not mean that it should not be done in the places that it does work.

how many days and such for training could be very dependent upon what level you are training at. You could have beginner classes that last a day and cover basics of paintball and generalities...then you could split it off into game types for more advanced lessons such as woodsball advances, xball advanced, etc. These classes focusing on tactics and techniques used for those specific styles of play.

I think it is important to mix up the lessons with on the field style of play as well. Everything from simple hay bails to actual real field experience as things progress. You could bring in your sponsored team to be the opposition force as well...of course providing them the same markers and such as the students and they are to follow a pretty strict goal script sort of thing....

Safety always being the important thing to stress at every step. Imagine your first lessons being going over some of the equipment. You issue everyone a mask and have them fit it properly and practice putting it on and taking it off. Then maybe you want to break down different types of equipment such as remote tanks, back bottle, etc. After every equipment explanation you do a little live demonstration..."Mask On!" Wait for everyone to have their mask on. Remove barrel sock...fire a couple of rounds...replace barrel sock..."Mask Off!" You repeat this over and over and over again and the aspect of safety around a "live" marker is key. Plus this stretches out the day

I had not read over the complete document yet, but plan on it shortly. But in general it sounds great and has a great deal of potential. I would not state that this is a "must" before you play, but you can make this an offering that would be appealing to new players and just as importantly the parents.

This could be something you offer one weekend a quarter or something like that just to start...as demand increases you offer it more often. It may be more difficult to go with a "certification" process at least initially, but all in all things could get there. We do have some folks on the forums that are from some of the bigger marker providers, perhaps they can gauge potential support from their end to help sponsor or weigh in on it.

On another note...gmore...I also watched the video you had that went into marketing (I think it was like "You want me to pay how much...." sort of title). And again you are spot on and discuss some things that have been brought up in other threads as well. Presentation and perception are vital to the success of the sport and the local businesses in the long run.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone