mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Lessons for Paintball from Snowboarding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m86qpFLCe-Y

UPDATE. JAN 17, 2013.
I had no idea that this would strike a cord with so many. There is some exciting new developments that I will post when they become public. Please check back later for more details.

Jan 17, 2013. Created part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej54kR7hmEE

Last edited by gmore70; 01-18-2013 at 01:25 AM.
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

there are no lessons because there is no unified way to play, not even a unified way to maintain equipment. who would pay for lessons that won't fully translate to future equipment?

we can't even convince CURRENTLY EXPERIENCED individuals to accept fundamental basics of how to play and how the equipment works. look around, you'll still see people who think some guns shoot further than others with all else being equal. go start a lesson, some noob will start asking if he should buy a rifled barrel, and it's only a matter of time before another player argues with you when you say "no."

newcomers are bombarded with sales buzzwards and jargons before they even learn the first step. everyone's here to make a buck. i myself would have never played without the introduction through a trusted friend.

and unlike snowboarding, we have actual rough kids.

Last edited by heinous; 01-15-2013 at 11:48 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
there are no lessons because there is no unified way to play, not even a unified way to maintain equipment. who would pay for lessons that won't fully translate to future equipment?

we can't even convince CURRENTLY EXPERIENCED individuals to accept fundamental basics of how to play and how the equipment works. look around, you'll still see people who think some guns shoot further than others with all else being equal. go start a lesson, some noob will start asking if he should buy a rifled barrel, and it's only a matter of time before another player argues with you when you say "no."

newcomers are bombarded with sales buzzwards and jargons before they even learn the first step. everyone's here to make a buck. i myself would have never played without the introduction through a trusted friend.

and unlike snowboarding, we have actual rough kids.
I have to disagree, There is a unified set of basics that can be taught. Im not sure if you have refereed before, but you see it all the time. Rentals that don't know how to move, how to choose angles, and how to think of the game in general. If they have the option to be taught, they can learn to have a good time. I know for a fact that if I encourage a rental to bump and he gets to the frontline and gets shot out, he had a better time than the kid sitting in the back hiding from the other players.

And the whole thing about rifled barrels is going to happen anyways. All you need to do is explain it to them. If they know you are more knowledgable, they will take your word for it. If they don't, prove it doesn't work. Same with freezing paintballs, snipers, and all that good stuff. No offense, but your opinion in this section seems arrogant. Give em a chance, you might be surprised.

Good experiences lead to returning customers. I liked the video, keep em up.
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
I like the idea, a local field runs a week long day camp that teaches kids to play. It is very successful and has grown every year. Great job and thanks for the video!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Really great idea! Your videos are great and well thought out, keep them coming!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I agree too. Our team usually plays a few rounds then spends time giving the new people advice on how to improve their game. We then break it down to much smaller teams so they have time managing how many people they have to watch as well as how to play.

You can teach them the jargon and tactics and watch them grow. It does attract more people if you spend some time making sure they go home feeling like there is more to learn. In fact out team plays renegade in order to make sure our newcomers don't meet the "rough kids". We all play stock class so the getting shot level is much lower. My friend's daughter has started playing with us. She was turned off the first day she played when shot by a scary semi but since then we have only played stock or modified stock class games and she has come to every one and is getting better.

For new people , rentals or even regular players learning to improve your game is always good. Of course people are out to make money, so when they ask about products you can do as they do here, suggest they test things out. Maybe regular players can help by showing their set up and giving reasons why they like things a certain way.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Gotta agree with heinous. I'm sort of an example. I don't do very much like anyone else does. I'm not particularly good or anything I'm just different. How do you teach that. I can teach little tips and tricks bit honestly it would probably take less than 30 minutes because there'sa not mmuch that's universal

But with all that said. Exposure is exposure. So have at it. I don't think it can hurt so it's great
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundah View Post
I have to disagree, There is a unified set of basics that can be taught. Im not sure if you have refereed before, but you see it all the time. Rentals that don't know how to move, how to choose angles, and how to think of the game in general. If they have the option to be taught, they can learn to have a good time. I know for a fact that if I encourage a rental to bump and he gets to the frontline and gets shot out, he had a better time than the kid sitting in the back hiding from the other players.

And the whole thing about rifled barrels is going to happen anyways. All you need to do is explain it to them. If they know you are more knowledgable, they will take your word for it. If they don't, prove it doesn't work. Same with freezing paintballs, snipers, and all that good stuff. No offense, but your opinion in this section seems arrogant. Give em a chance, you might be surprised.

Good experiences lead to returning customers. I liked the video, keep em up.
but you just pretty much proved my point. the agreed-upon basics are so limited in number that a referee busy doing his job can do it on the side over the course of a day. just how much unquestionably solid material can you incorporate into a full paid lesson that leaves the customer satisfied without sprinkling in some up-for-debate topics?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
but you just pretty much proved my point. the agreed-upon basics are so limited in number that a referee busy doing his job can do it on the side over the course of a day. just how much unquestionably solid material can you incorporate into a full paid lesson that leaves the customer satisfied without sprinkling in some up-for-debate topics?
I dont think encouraging a player to bump is the only thing to teach a walk on, but if that's what you believe, then that's cool with me. I however feel there is much to be taught, and things like "Walk on Wednesdays" could be a great way to wane newer players into the sport with the correct knowledge, while avoiding getting overshot and scared away by electros. My .02
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

it is not what i believe. i've seen the ref at sc teach a whole plethora of strategy between games to make both sides of the walk-on competent. it still occurred over the course of a day while he reffed. moreover, if what you want is just a walk on wednesday, then isn't it just another beginner walk-on, which is already being done at large fields? all you gotta do is make sure refs teach during the day like i mentioned, and some already do. what then, would draw a crowd to an additional paid stand-alone lesson on top of this existing setup, and what can be taught there that cannot be taught in a walk-on game?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone