mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

GoPro Hero 2 Field of View Comparison

I just grabbed a GoPro Hero 2, to shoot my helmetcam videos in HD, so I put together I quick comparison of the three field-of-view options when shooting in 1080. They don't give specific degrees as far as I can find, but narrow, medium, and wide seem to correspond to 90, 127, and 170 degrees.

I took three shots each at three different targets (close, medium, far) with each FoV, so nine shots per FoV. I show those clips unedited. Then I show one shot at each FoV at each target, zoomed in and slowed down, so you can see the degree to which details (like the paintball) are visible for each setting.

The point is just to give everyone an idea of the pros and cons of each setting for shooting paintball specifically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR-qz3QO3Mk

So what does everyone think? I like the narrow for the better view of things at a distance, and the lack of distortion, but what do YOU think?

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Pretty slick! Thanks for posting a detailed comparison. I've been considering doing a helmet cam in the future, just haven't taken the plunge yet. Excellent work!

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I like the wide because it shows more of the field and what happens on the field. I don't really care about seeing a single close up hit on an individual, id rather see how that hit changes the flow of the game and what the players do. that being said it depends on the location(indoor, outdoor, woods, urban etc) nice field btw :P
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Thanks for making that vid Dan. I really wanted to know how much of a difference it would make using different FoVs. Once I upgrade to a GoPro 2 or 3 I will be using the narrow FoV 100% of the time.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I was leaning towards the Hero 3 but there seems to be a firmware issue with it. Reading the reviews for it make it seem like the 3 is hit or miss but mostly miss. Thanks for the comparison on the 2, the price on them has come down a bit since the 3 was released.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

Thanks for the vid, I just picked up a hero 3 and am really looking forward to giving it a try this spring. I'm liking the narrow fov personally. Now to find the best way to mount it to my mask
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Feedback 2012 Sale WTB Thread
HOEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hand of Fate

Great vid. I could see how the narrow or wide would each have their uses. Thanks for posting!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone