mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Radio questions.

Hi MCB,
I am looking to get either a throat mic with PTT or boom mic set up for use with a Sx600 motorola style radio. I have heard of people having issues with the thraot mics (moving around, a hassle). Does any one have a good recommendation for a throat mic or boom mic with PTT function? Price range is somewhat limited to $30-$60 but if something works well and stands up to long scenario games i can move on the price. I play in WA and OR so it must stand up to a little rain and cold.

Thanks
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

I got my throat mic from Dynamic Designs and have been very happy with it. It's the same quality as those priced over $100, but it cost me under $40.

Throat Mic Tactical Headset for Midland (2 Prong Plug)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

I got mine from www.RadioGearPro.com and love it. I went with the $50ish dollar one that has a big PTT button plus a remote fingertip button
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have a Razor behind the head style boom mic with in-line PTT.
Got it from planetheadset.com for $35
H.U.N.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I got my throat mic from Dynamic Designs and have been very happy with it. It's the same quality as those priced over $100, but it cost me under $40.

Throat Mic Tactical Headset for Midland (2 Prong Plug)
All I'm going to say is that somewhere along the line you are going to realize that it's not the same.... and then it's going to suck.

Same goes for HAM/Amateur radio equipment. The Chinese have been trying to sneak into the market with mics, headsets, and now even radios.... and LOTS of people say the same as you... It's the same thing.. just less money. And then a year down the pike (sometimes just a couple months) they are sitting there with a paperweight made out of plastic and electronic components and they have no warranty or recourse and trying to get the thing repaired costs them just as much as a replacement...

Just giving the heads up... the availability of alternatives are great, but ask around to find out what other people think before you drop coin on them, only to get a POS.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
All I'm going to say is that somewhere along the line you are going to realize that it's not the same.... and then it's going to suck.

Same goes for HAM/Amateur radio equipment. The Chinese have been trying to sneak into the market with mics, headsets, and now even radios.... and LOTS of people say the same as you... It's the same thing.. just less money. And then a year down the pike (sometimes just a couple months) they are sitting there with a paperweight made out of plastic and electronic components and they have no warranty or recourse and trying to get the thing repaired costs them just as much as a replacement...

Just giving the heads up... the availability of alternatives are great, but ask around to find out what other people think before you drop coin on them, only to get a POS.

E
I agree with your premise of "Buy quality, buy once." Sometimes my wife gets upset because I pay more for a certain item, asking me "why can't you just get the cheap one, it will work." My reply is always "I don't want it to just work once, I want it to work every time I use it." But I can't go so far to think that price = quality in every case. Point being, I've used my mic for a year now without a single problem. It held up all week long at D-Day OK, and several other games before and after. My transmissions have always been at good volume and clear - at least, that's what has been reported to me.

Also, Dynamic Designs is a US company based out of Michigan. I got personal emails from them regarding shipping times when I placed my order last year. The throat mic I got is if extremely high quality, and outperformed my buddy's eBay find that cost more money. The headset comes with a 1yr manufacturer's warranty and all warranty/exchanges are done through the company in Michigan. Their phone number and address are listed right on their site. If you get one and don't like it, it is returnable. You're not just stuck.

I did research the issue ahead of time too, and that throat mic had the same or better reviews than the ones that cost $100+. These reviews were from paintballers and airsofters alike. Some people will never adjust a throat mic correctly and thus will never be happy with one. That's a given. But if you can seem to use one and get it adjusted correctly, my experience has been great with this mid-priced unit.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Glad to hear that you have found a good product. I keep looking for a less expensive alternative to the yeasu mic I need for my HAM HT.... I keep seeing the ebay specials and almost pull the trigger on them.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Yeah, I'm wary about the eBay specials too. A big factor that really eased my concerns was knowing that these guys at DD are based out of Michigan and didn't even try to hide their contact info behind a web-email form. They just put their address and telephone number right there on the site. That speaks volumes when it comes to customer service.

Good luck on finding the HAM stuff. I haven't done any looking myself, but I'd bet that's exponentially harder to acquire.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone