mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Gun for getting back into speedball? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/224652-gun-getting-back-into-speedball.html)

TheJoelteon 01-27-2013 06:36 PM

Gun for getting back into speedball?

Im going to take a year off between my undergrad and postgrad stuff so i can actually have a social life and travel and whatnot, so im just starting to look into whats out there for eguns. Im planning on playing weekly, though i dont actually know if ill get into the tourny scene again so im not looking to go all out with my gun choice.

I used to have a shocker nxt and i loved it. Very few problems, seemed to be able to shoot through the rare chops quite well, however i wasnt a fan of the fact that it was a closedbolt come cleaning time. They seem to be readily available for around $200-300 now, but ive been out of the speedball scene for over 5 years now and things seem to have progressed quite a bit. While $200 is very cheap for an egun, im not super stoked on the fact that a) i wouldnt have a warranty and b) smart parts isnt even around anymore. While the former would be an issue with any secondhand gun, its the latter that particularly irks me

The other gun i was interested in is an etek4. The etek1 was just coming onto the scene when i left and those look like theyve come quite a ways too.

Can anyone give me suggestions for a price range under $700? I never liked the invert minis and that empire axe looks quite similar (though i could be completely wrong and havnt really done any research on them).

paintballsmrf 01-27-2013 06:41 PM

well pretty much all e-markers will keep up with each other with bps being capped and all so i would recommend something cheap and reliable that is easy to clean. i am a big bob long fan so i would recommend an alias first but if you want to spend more you can easily get a G6r or a victory for less than 700 used. just go to the field or local pro shop and handle and ask questions, see what you like.

nacho8405 01-27-2013 11:52 PM

anything planet eclipse is good lots of part easily available i prefer egos over geos or ethas. my budy has a geo that shoots great forhim but hates me so i hate it. shot minis and dont like them and the axe shoots like a mini. the only guns that work great for me are dms and ego and bob longs that have been babied 09 egos are around 450-600

fat-50- 01-28-2013 10:54 AM

I would suggest an Empire Axe, well within your budget, easy to maintain, parts readily available at most stores, you will find the bolt out the back maintenance a breeze and you will have money left over to play more paintball

MEDuck 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

depends if you are a single or stacked tube kind of guy. It seems like the former, so I will agree with fat-50- and vote the Axe. It pretty much solved everyones gripes about the mini, and can be had for ~300, sometimes less.

Hawkeye20 01-28-2013 12:20 PM

Open class phantom? :p

Marmaduke 01-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoelteon (Post 2606033)
Im going to take a year off between my undergrad and postgrad stuff so i can actually have a social life and travel and whatnot, so im just starting to look into whats out there for eguns. Im planning on playing weekly, though i dont actually know if ill get into the tourny scene again so im not looking to go all out with my gun choice.

I used to have a shocker nxt and i loved it. Very few problems, seemed to be able to shoot through the rare chops quite well, however i wasnt a fan of the fact that it was a closedbolt come cleaning time. They seem to be readily available for around $200-300 now, but ive been out of the speedball scene for over 5 years now and things seem to have progressed quite a bit. While $200 is very cheap for an egun, im not super stoked on the fact that a) i wouldnt have a warranty and b) smart parts isnt even around anymore. While the former would be an issue with any secondhand gun, its the latter that particularly irks me

The other gun i was interested in is an etek4. The etek1 was just coming onto the scene when i left and those look like theyve come quite a ways too.

Can anyone give me suggestions for a price range under $700? I never liked the invert minis and that empire axe looks quite similar (though i could be completely wrong and havnt really done any research on them).

For under $700, you could easily pick up a good condition Ego11. However, if you have to get new, then the Etek and Axe would both be great choices. Personally, I would go with Planet Eclipse as I am a professed fan boy of them. However, your best bet is to just go to the field and ask people to shoot the markers you are interested in.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that while the Shocker won't see support from SP/GoG anymore, there are still a lot of die hard Shocker owners out there. The Shocker forum on PBN is full of knowledgable, and friendly people. I recently picked up a Shocker as a back up for my Ego8 and got on there... Some of the best help I've received ever. I've even had people offer to send me gun parts such as frames, triggers, etc... So that I can try them out before I buy. Pretty cool.

My biggest problem so far is that I'm finding myself already upgrading the marker the marker after having not played with it at all. While it did come with an HE engine, I just couldn't resist ordering the legendary Eigenbolt.

P.S. The NXT is not a closed bolt marker. :)

99BPS 01-28-2013 12:30 PM

Some version of the Ion. Cheap, awesome, upgradable.

baader 01-28-2013 12:45 PM

dm9-12 shoots better than almost anything, and everyone is getting rid of them so prices are dirt cheap now. Eclipse is marginally better quality wise but dmīs are close on their tail.

Falcon16 01-28-2013 12:53 PM

Axe or Etek 3 or Etha.