mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
that was a great video, in every aspect.

Thank you for posting!

OUr field owner has put a metric-****-tonne of time and money into the staging area - which is great. This Spring we are re-doing the entrance to the fields - and I envision something pretty spectacular - as it is the first thing the people see.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post

Thank you for posting!

OUr field owner has put a metric-****-tonne of time and money into the staging area - which is great. This Spring we are re-doing the entrance to the fields - and I envision something pretty spectacular - as it is the first thing the people see.
rgr that!

Loved the video. Makes total sense.

Can't wait to work on the field with MAr and the guys at OXP. We have been thinking along these lines for a while now.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post

Thank you for posting!

Next time I am out at my local field I'm going to offer to repaint his sign on the street. It's pretty weathered but I can probably sand of the flaking paint and paint right over it. It sits 10' in the air and nobody is ever will get close, so it'll pass the 5' test with ease.

My buddy wanted to redo their web site since the old one was horridly outdated, but they actually updated it recently.

If people have issues with their local, ask them to address it and offer to help if you can. They need the help of people who might not see things every weekend to tell what is changing that they don't notice over time.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The video was spot on. $170 for case no matter what it is is silly. Especially when you look at most commercial fields and it's a little shack for paint if you're lucky it has an air trailer so at least you get full fills all day. At the average field around here only time the air trailer is turned on is at the start of BYOP airball on Saturday as most of the kids don't want to yell to be heard over it since they talk for 20 minutes in between games. The staging area at the local field is relative dry spot close to the paint/air shack (since most of the time they fill a large bottle from the air trailer then fill off that) and the shack where the rental guns are is right next to the staging area.

The biggest issue at the local field is simply the fact that it's location is piss poor. It's out in the middle of nowhere (which is understandable with land being expensive) but it's built on a flat area with zreo drainage. So it can rain once and it'll be a mud hole for MONTHS afterwards. Paint is also expensive. If you buy a membership for $50/year it's $20/500 or $80/case (exception being BYOP speedball where you can buy paint by the case just for airball at $60/case) if non member double those prices except for the airball then everyone pays $60. There used to be competition in the area but most of it has dried up with the exception of 1 field at the other end of the region.

it used to be a great field when it was run by the original owner but he died in IIRC 08 and the field has gone down hill from there. It's now primarily an AS field and the pro shop is mostly AS/milsim gear with a few speedball guns and some clothing available. Personally I think if the original owner could see what his field has become he would turn in his grave.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.

Last edited by Falcon16; 01-30-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

To this day the best days of play I've ever had have all been outlaw. And it's been years since the last time I played outlaw. So what's that tell you lol.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
P0E
Banned

100% agree with the video, but I would first change the very core of how a typical paintball business generates revenue.

I started/operated a field on a ski resort which, by my design, was all-inclusive. It was successful, profitable and EVERY new player left with a massive smile. We'd be a franchise had the resort owner not died. Paintball is a business and all of its problems stem from the model.

Our model was very similar to laser tag. No outside gear allowed. We issued everything. Consumables refilled every hour after two 20min games. Players paid by the hour and got their ski-lift-esk badge punched to keep track of who got what. We would do shorter/longer games based on players and paint levels.

This system allowed us to operate independent of paint/gear sales and maintain a consistent reliable volume. It was SOOOOoo much easier to operate than the 'traditional' model.

We were lucky enough to find a resort owner that was a paintball fan. He allowed us to utilize the unused seasonal ski facilities (for a fee of course) so we had clean washrooms, changing areas with lockers, paved/illuminated parking areas, vending machines, water fountains, cafeteria and a nice kitchen for lunch. The female to male ratio was at least 33% and based on later experience I can tell you this was why.

The resort took a percentage of sales to pay for rent and use of the facilities. The rest was 100% ESOP. Nothing motivates employees like an income dependent on that company's success.

Lunch was included for players (always for staff) if you paid a deposit three days ahead of time for at least four hours. This encouraged plenty of people to make plans with their friends and commit. Although this was before the internet, we had a voice system that you could call to see how many people were scheduled to play.

In the beginning, attendance wasn't always adequate to make the experience fun. In these situations we refunded everyone's money and gave them one free hour of play. It was like a drug dealer giving away free samples.

Although our hours were normally only weekends, we did take reservation requests based on staff availability. The staff that could show up received 100% of the net profits for that day. It wasn't hard finding staff willing to take a sick day at their regular job and be thrilled about it.

We maintained the gear very well and only purchased good quality paint stored in air conditioned rooms. Although.. when everyone is shooting the same stuff, it really takes some truly terrible paint before you start to care. players just tend to instinctively get closer. We had a full assortment of pump and semi guns. It was left to the players what we used. If someone had an honest gear issue, we gave them a free hour for a future date. BTW... the reason behind the "free future hour" was because no one just plays one hour.

Our games were never as simple as capture the flag. They were a little more complex. Designed to reward and encourage regulars to step forward. This allowed us to more evenly divide up the experience. We also regularly gave free hours to players who helped our staff by assisting the new/young players.

We never allowed parents to drop off their kids. Turned plenty of money away for that and the resort owner fought me on it, but I still say it was the right thing to do. IMHO Parents in the parking lot were the source of better sportsmanship from not only their kids but other adults.

Players compared our prices to other facilities based on the experience. Not price per box, field fee, air cost, etc. We gradually increased prices (as you should when running a successful business) to find the sweet spot. Surprisingly we never got it high enough to decrease volume.

Well I'm rambling.. Long story longer.. Owner died, I went to graduate school, resort folded.

Anyway, it worked and was more profitable than the two 'traditional' fields I operated after that. Now I'm too old to be bothered, but still have hope that someone will come up with a system that produces great enjoyment/value for the player and good profits for the operator.
P0E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

I like the idea but I'd never let anyone tell me what marker to use. Not being mean but half the fun for me is the love I have for my personal gear. If I can't use it I'm not playing. But I don't seem like I was your target audience so I get it
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I like the idea but I'd never let anyone tell me what marker to use. Not being mean but half the fun for me is the love I have for my personal gear. If I can't use it I'm not playing. But I don't seem like I was your target audience so I get it
By the sounds of it, Poe's example was probably a while ago when very few people had their own gear. Almost all customers were renting back then. That's not to say a rental only field could not make it today. I daresay that it most likely would be more profitable.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
My field has great paint for 75 I feel bad for you man.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I agree to this. Half the fun for me for paintball is figuring out what set ups I like and experimenting with them. There's a field about 20 minutes from me that only does rentals...I don't really plan on venturing there any time soon.

That being said, that is a unique way to look at a paintball field.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone