mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   So I'm looking to get a mask camera... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/225330-so-im-looking-get-mask-camera.html)

aresfiend 02-03-2013 10:24 PM

So I'm looking to get a mask camera...
 
So I'm finally looking into getting a mask camera, thing is, I have no idea what the hell I should look for. I've already passed off the idea for a GoPro and I'm considering a Contour, but I'm looking for even cheaper options yet.

So does anyone have any suggestions for something with a nice framerate that's at least 640x480 between $35-$75?

FreeEnterprise 02-03-2013 10:27 PM

Get a first gen Contour Roam... you can find them for around $90 now. And they are 170 field of view.

I have two of them, for my helmet cam (and my father in laws helmet cam).

No Mercy Ever 02-03-2013 10:28 PM

I'm not sure about cheaper, but two cameras that I like are the Replay XD and the Sony Action Camera. The Replay is a single tube, much like a Streamlight or Surefire flashlight, and gets not only great footage, but is very easy to use. The Sony is a bit smaller than any of the Contour's, and for $270, you not only get a wireless connection to an iPad, iTouch, or any Android device, but you also get 120 frames per second at 1280x720p.

Danny D 02-03-2013 10:35 PM

The Polaroid action cameras are in that price range you are looking at. I've got their best model the xs 100 but their mid end one does 720 p. It's a solid camera for the price. Waterproof and comes with all the mounting hardware you need for your helmet. No extra cash needed.

aresfiend 02-03-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise (Post 2613867)
Get a first gen Contour Roam... you can find them for around $90 now. And they are 170 field of view.

I have two of them, for my helmet cam (and my father in laws helmet cam).

This is what I'm already considering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever (Post 2613869)
I'm not sure about cheaper, but two cameras that I like are the Replay XD and the Sony Action Camera. The Replay is a single tube, much like a Streamlight or Surefire flashlight, and gets not only great footage, but is very easy to use. The Sony is a bit smaller than any of the Contour's, and for $270, you not only get a wireless connection to an iPad, iTouch, or any Android device, but you also get 120 frames per second at 1280x720p.

Only issue is that I have to stay in the bounds of the money I have after I sell a certain cheap marker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny D (Post 2613879)
The Polaroid action cameras are in that price range you are looking at. I've got their best model the xs 100 but their mid end one does 720 p. It's a solid camera for the price. Waterproof and comes with all the mounting hardware you need for your helmet. No extra cash needed.

I'll definitely be looking into these.

Danny D 02-03-2013 10:41 PM

Doesn't come up on google but here is the official site with manuals etc
Home

aresfiend 02-03-2013 10:47 PM

Well, it looks like I'm sold on the Polaroid XS10. $50 and I can slap in a MicroSD card that I've got lying around.

No Mercy Ever 02-03-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresfiend (Post 2613891)
Well, it looks like I'm sold on the Polaroid XS10. $50 and I can slap in a MicroSD card that I've got lying around.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could also look at the Jakks Pacific action camera, for the same price. I have seen a video, and one thing that is kind of cool is that it seems to have a decent sensor. The person goes from sunny outdoors to shade under trades, and the picture is actually pretty good. But since you mention that you aren't interested in a GoPro, this seems like a cheaper alternative to just that.

I mentioned the more expensive of the Sony action cameras, the cheaper one gives you everything that the expensive one does, except the wi-fi, for $200.

aresfiend 02-04-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever (Post 2613904)
Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could also look at the Jakks Pacific action camera, for the same price. I have seen a video, and one thing that is kind of cool is that it seems to have a decent sensor. The person goes from sunny outdoors to shade under trades, and the picture is actually pretty good.

The only thing is I'm going for a mask camera, and the quality I've seen from the $50 one looks iffy at best, or I could drop $100 on the HD one and still shell out more for a waterproof case.

Or I could go with the Polaroid one that comes with all of that for $50.

Quote:

But since you mention that you aren't interested in a GoPro, this seems like a cheaper alternative to just that.
The thing about the GoPro isn't the price, it's just the fact that they stick out so far when they're mask mounted anywhere but center.

Quote:

I mentioned the more expensive of the Sony action cameras, the cheaper one gives you everything that the expensive one does, except the wi-fi, for $200.
Again, I'm not looking to spend $200 on a camera.

Now, $50 to Polaroid is something that I should be good with. I'm not looking for ultra high picture quality, I'm looking for something that gets the job done without breaking from a hit and works without questioning if it's an Idaho potato while staying within a certain price range. Polaroid just happens to be a company that's been around for a while now and isn't known for going all Smart Parts on it's products.

No Mercy Ever 02-04-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresfiend (Post 2613977)
The only thing is I'm going for a mask camera, and the quality I've seen from the $50 one looks iffy at best, or I could drop $100 on the HD one and still shell out more for a waterproof case.

Or I could go with the Polaroid one that comes with all of that for $50.


The thing about the GoPro isn't the price, it's just the fact that they stick out so far when they're mask mounted anywhere but center.



Again, I'm not looking to spend $200 on a camera.

Now, $50 to Polaroid is something that I should be good with. I'm not looking for ultra high picture quality, I'm looking for something that gets the job done without breaking from a hit and works without questioning if it's an Idaho potato while staying within a certain price range. Polaroid just happens to be a company that's been around for a while now and isn't known for going all Smart Parts on it's products.

The $50 and $60 ones are ones that are going to stick out like a GoPro. Hence why I said that it seems like a cheaper alternative to just that. It's the $100 and $160 ones are going to be the ones that will mount more like a Contour. Look at the Demo video from the site to purchase them, they have people that are using the $160 model on their heads, their surfboards, and such. The cheap $50 model is used in a chest harness, which you get to see at about the 2:00 mark, where the guy in the kayak has the $160 model mounted to the top of his helmet, the $100 model on the side of the helmet, and the $50, I think, on a chest strap (Looks like a bungee cord wrapped around him twice).

Another alternative is the Midland XTC series. They use Contour batteries, so you can swap them out and record for longer than ones that have built in batteries, as well as SD cards. They offer, to the best of my knowledge, three models, with the high end one going for around $250. Gives you the same stuff as a Contour Roam, but with more mounting options that you will know what to do with, as well as a waterproof case.

And pretty much everything uses Micro SD cards to record on.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC