mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rice Lake, WI

So I'm looking to get a mask camera...

So I'm finally looking into getting a mask camera, thing is, I have no idea what the hell I should look for. I've already passed off the idea for a GoPro and I'm considering a Contour, but I'm looking for even cheaper options yet.

So does anyone have any suggestions for something with a nice framerate that's at least 640x480 between $35-$75?
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Get a first gen Contour Roam... you can find them for around $90 now. And they are 170 field of view.

I have two of them, for my helmet cam (and my father in laws helmet cam).
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I'm not sure about cheaper, but two cameras that I like are the Replay XD and the Sony Action Camera. The Replay is a single tube, much like a Streamlight or Surefire flashlight, and gets not only great footage, but is very easy to use. The Sony is a bit smaller than any of the Contour's, and for $270, you not only get a wireless connection to an iPad, iTouch, or any Android device, but you also get 120 frames per second at 1280x720p.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Modder at heart
 
Danny D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

The Polaroid action cameras are in that price range you are looking at. I've got their best model the xs 100 but their mid end one does 720 p. It's a solid camera for the price. Waterproof and comes with all the mounting hardware you need for your helmet. No extra cash needed.
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rice Lake, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Get a first gen Contour Roam... you can find them for around $90 now. And they are 170 field of view.

I have two of them, for my helmet cam (and my father in laws helmet cam).
This is what I'm already considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
I'm not sure about cheaper, but two cameras that I like are the Replay XD and the Sony Action Camera. The Replay is a single tube, much like a Streamlight or Surefire flashlight, and gets not only great footage, but is very easy to use. The Sony is a bit smaller than any of the Contour's, and for $270, you not only get a wireless connection to an iPad, iTouch, or any Android device, but you also get 120 frames per second at 1280x720p.
Only issue is that I have to stay in the bounds of the money I have after I sell a certain cheap marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
The Polaroid action cameras are in that price range you are looking at. I've got their best model the xs 100 but their mid end one does 720 p. It's a solid camera for the price. Waterproof and comes with all the mounting hardware you need for your helmet. No extra cash needed.
I'll definitely be looking into these.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Modder at heart
 
Danny D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

Doesn't come up on google but here is the official site with manuals etc
Home
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rice Lake, WI

Well, it looks like I'm sold on the Polaroid XS10. $50 and I can slap in a MicroSD card that I've got lying around.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
Well, it looks like I'm sold on the Polaroid XS10. $50 and I can slap in a MicroSD card that I've got lying around.
Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could also look at the Jakks Pacific action camera, for the same price. I have seen a video, and one thing that is kind of cool is that it seems to have a decent sensor. The person goes from sunny outdoors to shade under trades, and the picture is actually pretty good. But since you mention that you aren't interested in a GoPro, this seems like a cheaper alternative to just that.

I mentioned the more expensive of the Sony action cameras, the cheaper one gives you everything that the expensive one does, except the wi-fi, for $200.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rice Lake, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could also look at the Jakks Pacific action camera, for the same price. I have seen a video, and one thing that is kind of cool is that it seems to have a decent sensor. The person goes from sunny outdoors to shade under trades, and the picture is actually pretty good.
The only thing is I'm going for a mask camera, and the quality I've seen from the $50 one looks iffy at best, or I could drop $100 on the HD one and still shell out more for a waterproof case.

Or I could go with the Polaroid one that comes with all of that for $50.

Quote:
But since you mention that you aren't interested in a GoPro, this seems like a cheaper alternative to just that.
The thing about the GoPro isn't the price, it's just the fact that they stick out so far when they're mask mounted anywhere but center.

Quote:
I mentioned the more expensive of the Sony action cameras, the cheaper one gives you everything that the expensive one does, except the wi-fi, for $200.
Again, I'm not looking to spend $200 on a camera.

Now, $50 to Polaroid is something that I should be good with. I'm not looking for ultra high picture quality, I'm looking for something that gets the job done without breaking from a hit and works without questioning if it's an Idaho potato while staying within a certain price range. Polaroid just happens to be a company that's been around for a while now and isn't known for going all Smart Parts on it's products.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
The only thing is I'm going for a mask camera, and the quality I've seen from the $50 one looks iffy at best, or I could drop $100 on the HD one and still shell out more for a waterproof case.

Or I could go with the Polaroid one that comes with all of that for $50.


The thing about the GoPro isn't the price, it's just the fact that they stick out so far when they're mask mounted anywhere but center.



Again, I'm not looking to spend $200 on a camera.

Now, $50 to Polaroid is something that I should be good with. I'm not looking for ultra high picture quality, I'm looking for something that gets the job done without breaking from a hit and works without questioning if it's an Idaho potato while staying within a certain price range. Polaroid just happens to be a company that's been around for a while now and isn't known for going all Smart Parts on it's products.
The $50 and $60 ones are ones that are going to stick out like a GoPro. Hence why I said that it seems like a cheaper alternative to just that. It's the $100 and $160 ones are going to be the ones that will mount more like a Contour. Look at the Demo video from the site to purchase them, they have people that are using the $160 model on their heads, their surfboards, and such. The cheap $50 model is used in a chest harness, which you get to see at about the 2:00 mark, where the guy in the kayak has the $160 model mounted to the top of his helmet, the $100 model on the side of the helmet, and the $50, I think, on a chest strap (Looks like a bungee cord wrapped around him twice).

Another alternative is the Midland XTC series. They use Contour batteries, so you can swap them out and record for longer than ones that have built in batteries, as well as SD cards. They offer, to the best of my knowledge, three models, with the high end one going for around $250. Gives you the same stuff as a Contour Roam, but with more mounting options that you will know what to do with, as well as a waterproof case.

And pretty much everything uses Micro SD cards to record on.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC