Spyder 5 2.94%
DYE/Proto 0 0%
Eclipse/Planet Eclipse 4 2.35%
Bob Long 3 1.76%
Brass Eagle 2 1.18%
Smart Parts/GOG/Luxe 5 2.94%
Alien 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
The only thing that gives me pause about Tippmann is the thought that most rentals aren't scoring a lot of eliminations compared to the guys who've decided that the game is something that they want to commit to, and then usually buy their own gear early en route to becomign a skilled player. The eliminations per marker produced I would imagine is lower for Tippmann than, say, AGD, but I suspect Tippmann still has the numbers by volume, and that's how I voted.

I've definitely scored more eliminations personally with my 98 than any other marker, just because for a long time it was the only gun I owned and used, excluding the borrowed Talon from my first time or two.
Think zombie hordes. While it is true that the individual renter might not rack up a tremendous body count, consider their sheer numbers. Consider also the numbers of those who own and don't rent. Of the bulk of people for whom the Tippy is their first marker, whether rental or owner, how many, by way of percentage, actually move up to something else?

Lots of folk only rent when they play, and lots just get into the game on the periphery, and so aren't looking to climb the ranks or enter into the great paintball arms race. And even those that do, how many of us that have played on and moved up still have at least one Tippy that still sees regular use?

So, Tippmann has been in the game a long time and, because for most of its history Tippmann built a high-quality (if not high-fashion) product, many of those that were built two decades ago are still running, still racking up a long body count. Newer markers from other companies may get a big spike, but they also have a short shelf-life, typically. People buy them, then sell them, and repeat. So a lot of fancier or more desirable markers may change hands a lot, but may not get a lot of actual sustained field time.

And meanwhile, the old dump truck Tippys keep slogging on, keep being built, keep being sold, keep being kept (just in case), keep being used, and keep racking up the score. And of course, this brings us back to the subject of rentals. I don't see a lot of fields with overwhelming rental fleets of autocockers, or Vikings, or Luxes, for instance. There are some with 'mags, some with Spyders, some even with Ions, and some with a few others. But all of them put together are a meager fraction of the Tippy fleets that make up the bulk of what fields see on a daily basis.

We might wish that our favorite marker/manufacturer were the winner, but we would also likely be deceiving ourselves.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Post Whore

Im sure its brass eagle. They have sold more guns then all other companies combined. Most have never seen a commercial field, so we tend to forget about them.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

But does volume of sales = volume of eliminations?

There may be something to be said for the lack of a strong BE presence in rental fleets, and how this might speak to the present topic.

Lots of kids bought BE markers (obviously), but how many found them to be reliable enough to hang on to, and so kept playing with them?

In my experience BE was really good at getting kids in the door, but also really good at getting kids motivated to upgrade to something else, and in a hurry. So while BE produced loads of markers for really cheap, it didn't produce loads of markers that, once tried, made their owners want to continue playing with them.

Tippys are on rental fleets because they work. A marker that works is a marker that people want to play with. And a single marker that is played with eliminates a lot more people than all the markers in all the dusty attics and landfills, however many were made and sold.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Think zombie hordes. While it is true that the individual renter might not rack up a tremendous body count, consider their sheer numbers. Consider also the numbers of those who own and don't rent. Of the bulk of people for whom the Tippy is their first marker, whether rental or owner, how many, by way of percentage, actually move up to something else?

Lots of folk only rent when they play, and lots just get into the game on the periphery, and so aren't looking to climb the ranks or enter into the great paintball arms race. And even those that do, how many of us that have played on and moved up still have at least one Tippy that still sees regular use?

So, Tippmann has been in the game a long time and, because for most of its history Tippmann built a high-quality (if not high-fashion) product, many of those that were built two decades ago are still running, still racking up a long body count. Newer markers from other companies may get a big spike, but they also have a short shelf-life, typically. People buy them, then sell them, and repeat. So a lot of fancier or more desirable markers may change hands a lot, but may not get a lot of actual sustained field time.

And meanwhile, the old dump truck Tippys keep slogging on, keep being built, keep being sold, keep being kept (just in case), keep being used, and keep racking up the score. And of course, this brings us back to the subject of rentals. I don't see a lot of fields with overwhelming rental fleets of autocockers, or Vikings, or Luxes, for instance. There are some with 'mags, some with Spyders, some even with Ions, and some with a few others. But all of them put together are a meager fraction of the Tippy fleets that make up the bulk of what fields see on a daily basis.

We might wish that our favorite marker/manufacturer were the winner, but we would also likely be deceiving ourselves.
Exactly. Tippmann's been making solid, dependable markers since 1986. The 98C alone has likely outsold every paintball maker introduced in the last decade. Combined.

A ton of those are still in use on fields all over the place. My local field's still using 10-year-old 98's as rentals, supplemented with Gryphons as needed for numbers.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #35 (permalink)
Discovr of the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
[...]
Agreed! Great post. It was those ravaging zombie hoards that ultimately swayed my vote. Although, if we could rewind 5-10 years, Tippmann definitely would be my favorite manufacturer. Older Tippmanns are still my preferred outlaw guns.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Im sure its brass eagle. They have sold more guns then all other companies combined. Most have never seen a commercial field, so we tend to forget about them.
I won't disagree with this statement. BE talon was my first marker. It was a group of about 20 of us that bought them for back yard outlaw play. We kept them about 3 sessions before they broke and were discarded for the (at the time) BRAND NEW model 98's.... Which most of those 20 people still have and use, at least twice a year for either outlaw or one day at the field. I really can't believe that Tippmann is out classed by eliminations in outlaw by BE. Their plastic starter guns were often trashed for 98's shortly after the first use.
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

I think Tippmanns are the clear winner. They are the industry standard rental, they last for ever, and they are cheap and plentiful. I think you would be hard pressed to find a player that has not shot someone out with a Tippmann. They may not be the best markers, but they are by far the most common (on a field).
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

Not surprised at this,I've never owned any Tippmann products but without Tippmann there wouldnt be paintball for most players.Respect they stuck to the basics and still made some innovations along the way
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have my Tippy Pro Carbine and would never sell it. Its the first gun I bought brand new yet, When I play with a semi its always a Viper M1 that I use. Its a sentimental thing for the Tippmann and to remain on topic: I agree Tippmann has the most users to ever wield their products. Organized or outlaw field use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Always. This is like an old folks home
My Feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html My link sucks. This is why I operate a CNC machine instead of program one.
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #40 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I always find it interesting how many people look down on Tippmann users... Almost like if you use a Tippmann, you aren't serious about paintball, or you are a newb... I realize many people judge others skill level by the equipment they use, but in paintball, the skill is your ability to win games, and get eliminations. And the key to that, is being able to put balls on target, when you have to quickly get an elimination.

I never have to worry about my Tippmann A-5 not firing. Every time I pull the trigger it works. (unless I forgot to turn on my remote line... but, that isn't my markers fault! Lol).

I have zero desire to spend money on the latest and greatest out there. And I never feel "overpowered" by someone shooting streams of paint at me. I just take my shot (semi auto) and move on. I get them, or they get me. It wasn't their markers "perceived value" that got me out... It was the players skill.

Some of us CHOOSE to play with Tippmanns because they are made in the USA, and WORK really well. That doesn't make us "less" serious about paintball. It may mean we just don't want to spend our time working on our markers...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone