mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Indoor field-Tampa area (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/225602-indoor-field-tampa-area.html)

chrisrook 02-06-2013 08:18 PM

Indoor field-Tampa area

So, looking to get back into the sport after a long hiatus. I live just south of Tampa, FL, and was wondering if anyone knows of a indoor field in the area. From what I understand, Crossfire closed in my leave, so I know of no other indoor fields. With summer about a month away in FL, a indoor field would be really appreciated.

Harbinger[TG] 02-06-2013 08:35 PM

I don't think Tampa has an indoor field.

chrisrook 02-06-2013 08:36 PM

Anything close, as in Sarasota or further south? Would be willing to travel out to Orlando, mostly since i'll be living there in a few months.

Harbinger[TG] 02-06-2013 08:39 PM

I haven't been back in Florida in awhile. You can try asking around the southeast region, or wait for another person from the area.

mrmag11 02-06-2013 08:41 PM

It's Florida...paintball year round! Yeah it gets hot, but at least you can play 12 months out of the year.

chrisrook 02-06-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmag11 (Post 2616885)
It's Florida...paintball year round! Yeah it gets hot, but at least you can play 12 months out of the year.

True, but after working at a field in summer, I ain't for sweating one second, then hiding in my car from rain the next. Indoor field would be great for rain. Do love the fact that I get perfect Pb weather in January/February.

mrmag11 02-06-2013 08:59 PM

All the indoor fields in Florida closed as far as I remember. There was a reball place in Bradenton and Miami but as far as I know they are all closed.

chrisrook 02-06-2013 09:11 PM

The Bradenton one was Crossfire. The kid was big into soccer, and someone told him there was money to be made in paintball. So, he took the spot he was leasing out in the ice complex and did paintball at night. He put everything on a credit card, and staked a lot on it. The field was a good size, the bunkers were nice, the astroturf was fresh. Whole thing had promise, but the kid had no idea what to do, so it was up to the players to follow the honesty policy. Having reffed there, I can tell you not many did. A lot of masks coming off mid game, hits not being called (partly refs faults, hard to see reball hits). So, field got a bad rap and was open for maybe a little over a year. I reffed/played only once, about a month after they opened.

Murf425 02-06-2013 09:14 PM

There are some nice fields here in the Tampa area, but no indoors.

My personal favorite nearby is Orbital. Good prices, good reffing, lots of different fields, and there's ALWAYS a crowd of walk-ons to play with. My buddies and I play out there at least once a month.

I've heard that Jungle Games is decent (but small), though I've never been there.

Rumblewoods is subpar, IMO. The staff is the best around, but the fields just leave a lot to be desired.

There's also Clearwater Paintball and Blitzkrieg but, again, I've never been to either of them.

A good starting point would be the field reviews on PBReview. It'll tell you all the fields, how far they are from you, and what people think of them.

If you're willing to drive farther, Central Florida Paintball is good, but it's hit or miss as to whether anyone will be there playing on any given weekend. Battlefield Orlando also just reopened, and I expect good things there. However, it's on the far side of Orlando, so it's one helluva drive.

Off The Wall has a lot of potential to be a great field, but the fields are in VERY shoddy shape and just being left to fall apart. A little work and it'd be great...but not yet.

A bunch of my teammates (Team On Target) have mentioned that Hi-Tec in Bradenton is good. I have no knowledge of it, though. Never been there myself.

If you're on Facebook, look up the group "Pump/Pistol/Limited-Paint Players". That's the local pump group run by Ninja Dave and Trigger Happy. They host get togethers at various local fields all the time. And, of course, if you want me to let you know when we're playing in the area, send me a PM and I'll add you to the mailing list.

chrisrook 02-06-2013 09:23 PM

Team on Target sounds awfully familiar, y'all ever play at Wayne's scenarios?

Used to play at CFP years ago. Lived less than 10 miles from it at one point. Is Epic in Orlando still open, wouldn't mind going back to where I started. Heard of Hi-Tec, one exit from me, but iffy about it cause I never see many people there.

Thanks for the Facebook idea, i'll hit it up and try to get to one.