mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Modder at heart

Anything made in China will have a minimum order of 2000. For companies to make a profitable business out of them 10000 units is the minimum for reputable companies getting their products manufactured overseas. Unfortunately that's the only info I can provide.
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Currently less swamped

AGD began their sequence in the 100s, so if you have CF00101, then you have the first.

The minis had their own designation of MM, and presumably MM00101 would be the first of those.

Those classic style valves at the end that were converted to the "Center Fire Mag" designation had an additional four-digit code affixed to them separately on top of the reg.

And then you have all the others: the rentals, the Smart Mags, the RTs, the ReTros, the Xs, the Es, the Micros, etc., etc.

There are a couple of threads floating around here on the mag production runs, together with links to the same discussion on AO, but with so many variations, and in some cases older models being reconfigured for a different use, it's difficult to say with any precision.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Screwy Q-E

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Bottom line: information not based on company records will not be reliable information, if even then. For companies that have been traded or closed it may be lost.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

I have Orracle #68 =)

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Bottom line: information not based on company records will not be reliable information, if even then. For companies that have been traded or closed it may be lost.
-Entirely true. It's still worth a shot, though. Perhaps in the absence of reasonably reliable data, we should look at the rumors and "I heard.." as well?

For example, I realize it's not hard data, but it's still interesting to hear there were some 2700 Vikings. I'd never really thought about it, but I'd have put the number closer to 10K if anyone had asked...

And I seem to recall hearing years ago, that Palmer's had passed the 1,000 mark on Blazers- after which, the later production had some changes. And there were supposedly some 600 Typhoons, but even that number is at least six or seven years out of date.

One bit on the serial numbers again, though: I was poking through my boxes of stored stuff and ran across my old Equalizer. I was thinking about this thread, so I snapped a pic of the serial number:

Presumably we can all agree there aren't over 795,000,000 Equalizers out there.

But, I did buy it in the winter of '95, so it's entirely possible the first three numbers are the month and year of production. Or possibly day-year-month or month-year-day, which might conceivably put this at the 6,358th Equalizer produced.

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Currently less swamped

This is a mad endeavor.

Of course, this is the place for mad endeavors, isn't it? Presumably if anyone can pull this off, it's the gang here.

Might be helpful to sort groups of which manufacturers still have hard numbers, and which don't, and for the latter, figure out the numbering scheme for each, and then do some leg work.

Madness.

Sounds like fun.

If each of the armories tackled their own slice of the pie it would make for a more manageable task. Maybe have a stickied thread in each for that purpose that could be updated with data?

It would also help the search to evolve beyond simple random postings of serial numbers. Once a general upper register is determined, the APB could be put out for a number above #######, etc., and we needn't worry with all the clutter of collecting the in-betweens.

It could certainly serve to add another layer of detail to tools like Vintage Rex, for instance.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
Need to find out the decoder ring for the serial number.

795706358 - Given that serial numbers usually [not always] have a sequence and a date coded. 06358 most likely is a Julian date that is in a typical pattern. I would guess that the sequence is 7957 made 2006 and the 358th day, but then maybe it isn't as the 358th day of the year is Dec 24th in 2006. This is very near the type of sequences we use on our production line.

Only way is to ask the manufacturer. The Benjamin Sheridan serial numbers I've found on-line are a completely different format for their air-rifles.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Couldn't be made in 2006 when Doc says he bought it in the Winter of 1995.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Couldn't be made in 2006 when Doc says he bought it in the Winter of 1995.
-And Equalizers haven't been made since... what, '98 or '99? They weren't very successful...

As a second data point on the serial, I have a couple of PGPs on the workbench right now; one's a late model, but pre-2001 unit, while the other is a post-2001. The kind with the slightly longer barrel, the "fiber optic" sights, and the plastic loading gate.

The pre-2001's serial number starts with "599" and has nine digits in total just like the above photo of the Equalizer. That tracks with at least the first three digits being a date, as this PGP could very easily be a '99 model year.

And good call on adding this kind of thing to Vintage Rex. That's exactly the kind of data that would fit in well with it's entries. (Which are generally, no offense to the ops, pretty dang sparse.)

Doc.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
The pre-2001's serial number starts with "599" and has nine digits in total just like the above photo of the Equalizer. That tracks with at least the first three digits being a date, as this PGP could very easily be a '99 model year.

Doc.
I was told over the phone by a sheridan customer service guy a long while back that on pgps the first three numbers are indeed the month/year the marker was made. It more than likely applies to the equalizer as well. I didn't ask if this applied to the revamped post-2k pgp as it didn't exist yet.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone