mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Currently, I don't have one. But when I do get one, I will mount it the same as I do my Contour. Either use a handlebar mount for a barrel mount, or the strap mount for the mask.
Recommend you reconsider your decision and recommendations then.
  1. As far as I can tell, the goggle strap mount can't adjust pitch, so you lose one dimension of adjustability.
  2. The imager cannot rotate, so you lose a second dimension of adjustment (roll).
  3. I can't tell the level of adjustability there is in the handlebar mount, but given that you already lost the ability to rotate the imager, I don't see how the handlebar mount could have enough adjustability to compensate. Hard to tell; most of the reviews of action cams seem to be written by people who don't know anything about action cam usage.
  4. The accessory door on the bottom is blocked by the mount/casing, precluding you from using any accessories (external mic, battery, etc.) in protected form without modification.

It is *not* like mounting a Contour. I'd say they were competing with Gopro for the worst mounting system ever, which is a tall order, but Sony seems up to the challenge.

That, and there are some performance issues mentioned in various reviews.

If you do get one, come back and share your experience as there are no paintball specific reviews.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Recommend you reconsider your decision and recommendations then.
  1. As far as I can tell, the goggle strap mount can't adjust pitch, so you lose one dimension of adjustability.
  2. The imager cannot rotate, so you lose a second dimension of adjustment (roll).
  3. I can't tell the level of adjustability there is in the handlebar mount, but given that you already lost the ability to rotate the imager, I don't see how the handlebar mount could have enough adjustability to compensate. Hard to tell; most of the reviews of action cams seem to be written by people who don't know anything about action cam usage.
  4. The accessory door on the bottom is blocked by the mount/casing, precluding you from using any accessories (external mic, battery, etc.) in protected form without modification.

It is *not* like mounting a Contour. I'd say they were competing with Gopro for the worst mounting system ever, which is a tall order, but Sony seems up to the challenge.

That, and there are some performance issues mentioned in various reviews.

If you do get one, come back and share your experience as there are no paintball specific reviews.
I'm not really seeing much about performance issues. At least not any more than any of the other cameras. I do like that the camera can be put into a body that can make like a camcorder with a LCD screen, albeit a small camcorder.

As to the part about the handlebar mount, everyone always mounts their cameras up top, or upside down. If you mount it upside down, no matter what camera you use, you have to digitally rotate your image. Maybe only 90* if you use a Contour, and maybe the GoPro? But you still have to rotate it with your computer.

About the stuff on the bottom, the only thing that you might use is the microphone jack. I can see that. So yes, you would have to modify the case to not only allow the bottom door to be open, but to use the jack as well.

Is it perfect? No. It could definitely use some improvement. But when you consider that you are getting a camera that sells at $270 (I'm sure that you can find deals out there) that has the abilities and features of others that sell at $300+, plus is the only one with image stabilization and 720P at 120 FPS, it is definitely a good choice.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Unseen

Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

I tried out a helmet cam for the first time over the weekend. Worked great. I'm using a Hero2 in 1080p narrow-screen. Seems to let you see a bit more detail at longer ranges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcd3GLzPg1c
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
I'm not really seeing much about performance issues. At least not any more than any of the other cameras.
I've read about lens focus and overheating issues.

Just putting that out there so we can come back to it later.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
I've read about lens focus and overheating issues.

Just putting that out there so we can come back to it later.
Do you have links to any of those? I went through three pages to look at reviews on the camera, and haven't seen anything about any of those issues.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

One of my friends got a hero3 and it locked up while he was filming today... So no footage of him getting the flag from his perspective. Course, the Contour roam is rock solid and Henry was behind him so he probably has it on film.

Not very impressed with the Hero 3...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Do you have links to any of those? I went through three pages to look at reviews on the camera, and haven't seen anything about any of those issues.
Hero3 vs HDR-AS10 (should be the same optics as AS15). Visible focus issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sfaiVy2dI

DIY Open Mount for Sony HDR-AS15 Action Camera (mentions the reason for building the new case is for heat; I've read the heat issue elsewhere as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGwrvwERdQ
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

i have an old contour 720, and looking to buy the drift hd ghost that one is packed with the good stuff.
Cheeserocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jam

For photos I have my EOS 5D MkIII

Video I have my Hero3 black
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Hero3 vs HDR-AS10 (should be the same optics as AS15). Visible focus issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sfaiVy2dI

DIY Open Mount for Sony HDR-AS15 Action Camera (mentions the reason for building the new case is for heat; I've read the heat issue elsewhere as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGwrvwERdQ
Thank your for both of those links. The first one, the Sony still looks better in the area of England that the guy lives in, day and night, than the Go Pro. But you are correct in that one part, where the side was a bit fuzzy. I love that in the end, he mentions that he will probably use the Go Pro for video's that involve his bike and such, but the better camera, in the end, for him, was the Sony.

On the second one, it isn't a heat issue. It got warm, but it didn't shut off. He made the mount as a just in case.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone