mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Man in Tights

If they really are removing wrestling...is the Olympics a place we would theoretically want to be anymore?

Doesn't it include things like ping pong and speedwalking? And they are getting rid of one of the "original" Olympic sports....?
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
but it do

Send a message via AIM to Bleeds Send a message via Yahoo to Bleeds

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'd imagine that paintball is a better fit for the X-games than the Olympics. The latter is fast becoming a sham of its former self.

"There isn't much that I feel I need, a solid soul and the blood I bleed."
Bleeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
the guns a few years back can top 33bps. now they're all capped and catered toward scenario/woodsball, innovation isn't the cause of lack of development.

and the prices are high because the guns are status symbols. you can easily buy a $50 blowback and a hopper that can keep up.
Innovation doesn't have to be limited to BPS. And when I say pricing goes down due to volume I'm talking not only about gear, but about paint too.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Innovation doesn't have to be limited to BPS. And when I say pricing goes down due to volume I'm talking not only about gear, but about paint too.
and just what about the guns would be innovated by the sport joining the olympics that would be to the liking of the players? besides that, speedball fever is over and the paint's getting costlier at least here. the whole industry is too driven by greed to follow any conventional models.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Janitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Honk

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Rob Rubin, Tyger if you will, said one thing that stick's in my mind every time something like this comes up. Paintball is an industry, not a sport. I'll admit that's not entirely accurate, but it kinda is. I'd last a whole 35 seconds on a football/basketball/ping pong field lol. But paintball can be as high or low impact as you want. I play cause I like it, I like the game and if it were still nelspots and pgp's I'd be fine with it. But it's not. We needed faster gun's, flashier clothes, we needed to be in the public eye. Why ? To drive the industry. I may be way off base here, but I feel like if tomorrow all you were able to use was a 12 gram stock class gun, with a 15 round capacity, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
Become a gun whore.

Seriously.

It pays very well.
Honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honk View Post
I may be way off base here, but I feel like if tomorrow all you were able to use was a 12 gram stock class gun, with a 15 round capacity, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
actually, that would make the games a lot easier to follow on tv, ergo profitable, and the olympics is for-profit...

but only old geezers from this forum would watch it.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
I am paintball in Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosplinter View Post
I'd imagine that paintball is a better fit for the X-games than the Olympics. The latter is fast becoming a sham of its former self.
Either way we need some sort of united governing body that can represent the sport as a whole. And we need all of the different tournement series come together as well. If that were to happen it could help the sport grow leaps and bounds, until then I unfortunately see our sport/industry not doing much more than treading water so to speak. Maybe something along the lines of Nascar- they have template rules so that the equipment isn't the deciding factor in a game(race) but rather the driver or athelete. Same kind of thinking could be focused on the guns we use for tourneys.

my feedback
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

One thing people seem scared of is the notion that if paintball were to become a sport that could be in the Olympics or even Xgames that somehow their going out on the weekends to hit the field would end. How did the Superbowl end guys getting together to throw the football around? Just because there is ping pong in the Olympics did that end the recreational PP games? Nope...same with any other sport in the Olympics.

But Gmore was absolutely correct in pointing out that with "legitimacy" received from being accepted as a sport in the Olympics brings acceptance more easily by parents and even other adults. It brings visibility to the sport, and this ultimately means an increase in the number of players.

As to the innovation bit...while there is still innovation in paintball, the idea that it could be in the Olympics or legitimized as a sport means more companies are willing to sponsor and provide funding for development. Talent would gravitate to the industry that would help improve and make some innovations come to fruition. There may be many great ideas out there that are not able to be put to practice because there is not enough funds to keep development going on them....anyone remember Hydrotech?

No one is saying that the game HAS to change and that you will no longer be able to grab your brass and play at your local field. But a development of the industry is to try and legitimize it more and standardize across the board more with some sort of national standards that can bring recognition as a sport.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
It's totally understandable, and everything I am discussing is done so with the highest respect. I very much enjoy your videos, I just think this one is a little bit of a jump. You make an interesting point nonetheless.
No problems here...I love the discussion...
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
To be honest, I'd rather read a nice long well written forum post over watching an 8+ minute video. I read faster than people talk, so it saves me a lot of time.
You and me both.

And FWIW, despite all of the other hurdles Paintball may face, the Olympics are about viewership. Paintball is nearly unwatchable, even for its most stalwart fans and players.
Riddler is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone