mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Soft Goods Cheapskate?

Am I the only one that absolutely freaking hates spending money on soft goods? I.E. masks, pants, gloves, packs etc... Took me nearly 5 years of playing in surplus store camos before I finally invested in a pair of actual PB pants. Even then, I went with the "cheaper" $90 or so pair vs the $120+ pair. I have no problem piecing together a $700+ marker, but $70 for a freaking jersey makes want to cry. I finally replaced the used pod pack that I got used as part of a package, but only when I found a steal of a deal on one.. $18 woo!.

I think my problem lies in the fact that I have yet to even come close on recouping any money out of soft goods. I buy an AGD X valve for $200, I can use it for 2 years and sell it back to someone else for about the same amount. I buy a brand new pair of PB pants and can't sell them for even 50% of what I paid for them if I just wear them around the house going "pew pew pew".

I see guys at field walking around with Dye this and Dye that and realize they probably have $1000 in non marker gear alone and just can't imagine.

Am I alone on this one?
OPBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I got over that once I realized I play harder and better when I have the proper soft goods. I am not saying you have to buy top brand paintball gear, but padding that is comfortable can improve your game.

And I don't think about recouping the cost of soft goods. I consider it a consumable, albeit with a several year time frame (my Dye C6 pants lasted 5 years, I am on year 6 with my JT shin pads, my Dye forearm guards are 5 years old and look new).
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I will admit the knee padding in the PB pants I bought were a bonus, helped when knealing in the woods around roots and crap, but cant see how any additional pads would help my game play. At 6'1", 250 and 45 years old, my days of diving into bunkers has long passed.

Also, just wanting to state that I'm not looking to bash anyone that does spend the cash on soft goods, just trying to see if I am a minority when it comes to not wanting to.
OPBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
BudgetBaller 2.0

I can see Paintball Pants, nice mask and pads but jerseys meh doesnt do much for me other than cost money. Certain items I have a hard time buying. I bought $5 raven gloves 5 years ago and still work great and dont look all that bad. The biggest reason I dont like spending lots on soft goods is because there is no resale value.
Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bricew25...ow=grid&view=0
bricew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm with you. I've been playing for 15 years and though I've gotten a lot of jerseys through trades and even bought one or two with the intention of wearing I never do, same with pb pants. I do wear pb knee pads but I buy my gloves in bulk at Home Depot and I'm very partial to JT Spectras.

Last edited by Huitlacoche; 02-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Huitlacoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've pulled some very sharp and/or rusty things out of the knees of my paintball pants that I didn't even know were there while I was playing so bdus can kiss the *** of my nice and padded paintball specific pants. Masks are a no-brainer I've never cheaped out and I replace the lens more frequently than anyone else I know. A good harness for whatever gear I'm lugging to me is priceless I hate a rig that is more than I need almost as much as I hate one that is less than I could use. Markers are fun of course but they come and go the proper softgoods setup can serve you comfortably and reliably for years.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Head Ref

I never buy brand new. If you go to psp events or local tournaments you might find a discount rack at some of the vendors. That is always my first destination. I havent paid more than $50 for pants and pads. However I dont have any issue spending money on a mask. Its for safety and protection, cant really put a price on that IMO.
joshkinney591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I don't like buying soft goods, but I have some good stuff. I have Mar's MCB pants, but also have some $7 volleyball kneepads that I wear under them. I have an MCB Jersey from last years design.

On the flip side, my 2+1 pod pack came from a package that I bought on ebay ~7 years ago. My gloves are probably just as old and are finally needing to be replaced. My Profilers just won't fail on me so that I can buy an eFlex. I don't want them to fall apart, but I have been eying masks for the last year.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm a absolute cheap-sake when it comes to soft goods. For years all the paintball softgoods I owned where mask, gloves, pack, neck protecter.

After playing for 10+ years that all changed in the last year or so when bought used empire paintball pants, And a bunch of other used gear.

Most of my stuffs bought used. Only things I can think of that Ive bought new are masks & a WTF gaunlet that Im waiting for.

Last edited by cougar20th; 02-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.
cougar20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I will spend money on a quality mask, and both of the masks that I wear, I bought brand new. Most of the paintball pants that I have bought, I have bought used, and I like some of the older style pants. Although, I have bought a total of six pair of paintball pants brand new. Way back, around 97 or so, the JT denim pants, in 2002 or so so, the JT Cargo pocket pants, the following years model, some DYE pants back in 2002 or 2003, Empire Contacts back in 2005 or so, and PE camo pants last year, because I could not get them used. And I have at least 20 pair of paintball pants, although most of them I wear casually. Jerseys, I bought three new, and any others that I have, came in package deals that I am selling off here and there. My first was supposed to be a ref jersey (DYE 2003), then a Venomwear jersey (The remake), and PE camo, again because I could not get one used.

My pads, almost all of them brand new. DYE knee pads lasted me almost a decade until I replaced them with Kali knee pads last year, DYE forearm pads that lasted me until I got some PE used ones a couple of years ago.

Honestly, I try to buy used as much as possible. Just because they do drop down in price almost radically and often I get stuff that isn't too used and worn out.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone