mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

A question of etymology

Gang,

Have noticed that the term most frequently attached to the dual pistol style of play is 'akimbo'.

For some time I've wondered how this has usage developed, since the word akimbo has absolutely nothing to do with such a playing style.

It has only a single meaning, namely, to stand or sit with one's elbows extended outward. Usually this is the familiar posture assumed when standing with hands on hips, or sleeping at one's desk, or performing the second movement of the chicken dance, etc.

Akimbo does not mean simply 'to have bent elbows.' All of us play with bent elbows. We also drive to the park with bent elbows, and eat and drink with bent elbows. But none of these are done 'akimbo'. We only go akimbo when we are standing around in the pits waiting for something to happen.

Or when sleeping at the tables in the pits.

Or when doing the chicken dance in the pits.

The word does not have any other variants or meanings, and has always held just this singular meaning.

So how did it come to be associated with dual pistol play?

Moreover, why is the dual pistol technique not simply referred to as 'Florentine', which is the age-old term for a two-handed, dual weapon fighting style?

Mind you: Keep this train on the rails. Not interested in debating the (de)merits of this playing style, or players who play this style.

This is simply a word study.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nerd

I can't contribute at all, and in fact learned a lot from that post. So first, thank you. Second, I'm calling it "Florentine" from now on, because that seems not only correct, but way cooler.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's the name the "call of duty" franchise assigned to the "perk" of dual wielding pistols. I never heard it used that way before, but it may be older than that.
Moses688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Think Westerns, Menace. The akimbo stance is the iconic one from any two-gun duelist you'd see on the silver screen.

Last edited by Wraith; 02-27-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Son of War

Call it the "akimbo-florentine".

On a more real note. Thanks for the OP wordplay is fun. Whiteout, I think the confusion come from watching the style. Whereas the akimbo is done with arms bent and relaxed, I supposed it can be called hip-fired (correct me someone..) the florentine more accurately describes the actual play with the pistols. When you see someone playing dual pistols they usually have themselves with arms stretched out taking shots.

Yes, sometimes they are bent for argumentative reasons but not held to the sides for shooting.

For sale!--->Polished clear and pink Luxe 2.0

Destiny. It's like, after college, before career.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
the proper use of .50cal

I see 'whiteout' beat me to it.

Maybe it was more in reference to the stance one has before drawing out two pistols from hip holsters. i.e. "He stood in the middle of the street arms akimbo waiting to draw."

My google-foo is not strong enough today to find a picture of it.

On another note when I think of 'Florentine' style I picture mis-matched weapons, one larger offensive type and smaller defenisve one. So a carbine and a pistol.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Think Westerns, Menace. The akimbo stance is the iconic one from any two-gun duelist you'd see on the silver screen.

http://www.vectorstock.com/i/composi...tor-673427.jpg
I think we have a valid point made right here. To be honest I've never liked that term anyway as I feel like I always come across as a COD wannabe douche when I say it. So while I'm sure I've slipped on occasion I mainly stick to referring to it as "dual-wield" or some variant thereof.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
Call it the "akimbo-florentine".

On a more real note. Thanks for the OP wordplay is fun. Whiteout, I think the confusion come from watching the style. Whereas the akimbo is done with arms bent and relaxed, I supposed it can be called hip-fired (correct me someone..) the florentine more accurately describes the actual play with the pistols. When you see someone playing dual pistols they usually have themselves with arms stretched out taking shots.

Yes, sometimes they are bent for argumentative reasons but not held to the sides for shooting.
Think more of a quick draw rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwDGeLH8zzo

The video gives the example of how paired revolvers would be worn. Hands at hip level, elbows bent is the perfect stance for the draw with one at each hip, although you'd never be shooting both at once with single action black powder. The second gun is for shooting when the first is empty.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
"dual-wield" is what I say/do.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I usually say "look he has two pistols" :P

Cause Florentine kinda makes me hungry
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone