mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
And very generally speaking (there are of course exceptions) the harder the surface, the lower the coefficient of friction.

Doc.
Alright! Whose doing diamond sleeving?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Yes.. but for the sake of being different..... your talking about setting a gun up right... correctly boring it to fit the insert with out screw it up... then deburring internal slots and holes... then machining the sleeves correctly... then honing the sleeves to a tight fine finish within tolerances... then fixing the sleeves into the body most importantly with out warping or marring them...

Oh and all this for the sake of being "different"

Yeah no forget that.... I work with machine operators that would hit me in the head with a kurt vice if I came to them to ask them to that even on a CNC.

This sounds like one of those ideas that seems great, until you know ANYTHING about machining processes or the amount of work involved...

Besides what BOS already pointed out, one needs to remember how heavily milled most markers are these days. At the very least, there's no room for error. Or, there's just no room to bore out a tube at all. The other thing is that just because you make a surface slicker does not automatically translate into any real improvement in performance.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Lol well I just figured, even if it's not for a used gun. I wonder if a company will ever come out and say "our guns are now brass/stainless sleeved for lower lpr pressures and smoother shot.

I'm sure it would be much easier to do on an unmilled slug body instead of a new finished gun. But like I said, I'm sure the "idea" may be a selling point for some people, I mean look at Dye's carbon fiber boomsticks, "Stainless lined carbon fiber back" why stainless and not just use alumnimum which is probably much cheaper.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nobody is going to add a sleeve, when the focus is quick stripping, and ease of maintenance.

This is a bad idea. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying.
Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Unfortunately quick stripping and ease of maintenance goes out the window when your Aluminum on Aluminum threads lock together! I think PB manufacturer's should embrace more building materials like Brass, Steel, maybe even Tungsten and Titanium. For example Tank bonnets should always be Brass never aluminum, along with most threaded pieces to prevent them from locking together.

Also, Aluminum pits, Steel pits and rusts while Brass just turns Green/Brown. (or can de-zincify and crack but that depends on the quality of the Brass.)

Last edited by crzypntbllr; 03-07-2013 at 12:54 AM.
crzypntbllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
snip/
I mean look at Dye's carbon fiber boomsticks, "Stainless lined carbon fiber back" why stainless and not just use alumnimum which is probably much cheaper.
Why not indeed I could never figure that one out either.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
All I know is the old spanky sleeved cockers looked sweet as hell.

Some similar styling on a modern stacked tube electro would be awesome.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzypntbllr View Post
Unfortunately quick stripping and ease of maintenance goes out the window when your Aluminum on Aluminum threads lock together! I think PB manufacturer's should embrace more building materials like Brass, Steel, maybe even Tungsten and Titanium. For example Tank bonnets should always be Brass never aluminum, along with most threaded pieces to prevent them from locking together.

Also, Aluminum pits, Steel pits and rusts while Brass just turns Green/Brown. (or can de-zincify and crack but that depends on the quality of the Brass.)
Brass bonnets are good, but you dont want two similar metals threaded together, you want two different materials for something that is screwed together and unscrewed many times to have different properties. Aluminum on aluminum can get galled together much easier than say Aluminum and Stainless together. If your tank has a brass bonnet, then the aluminum asa's are perfectly fine.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Craigslist King!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
^Exactly! That's what I was trying to say.
crzypntbllr is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone