mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Stainless "sleeving" a paintball gun. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/228019-stainless-sleeving-paintball-gun.html)

JLuke 03-05-2013 04:37 PM

Stainless "sleeving" a paintball gun.

I'm supirized no one has offered the service yet. Hell, even brass sleeving mabey. Everyone talks how stainless and brass is much slicker than alumnimum. Even if it's a gimmiky idea, I'm sure some people could be suckered into paying for the service :D
Figure something like a poppet marker can just have the rammer tube reamed out and have an insert frozen and dropped in with .001-.003 interference fit so it doesn't come out.

idkfa 03-05-2013 04:41 PM

I am curious how much the coefficient of friction between lubed buna rubber and annodized aluminum compares with steel or brass. I haven't found any references that are detailed enough.

DocsMachine 03-05-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2644880)
I am curious how much the coefficient of friction between lubed buna rubber and annodized aluminum compares with steel or brass.

-Generally speaking, anodized aluminum is harder than either brass or stainless. The anodized layer, while very thin, is aluminum oxide, essentially the same material they make the grit in sandpaper or grinding wheels out of.

And very generally speaking (there are of course exceptions) the harder the surface, the lower the coefficient of friction.

Doc.

Cottontail 03-05-2013 06:35 PM

I really don't think the idea will be embraced with open arms. High end markers, and even mid/low end guns have come so far that nobody is modifying them anymore.

BigOldSkool 03-05-2013 06:41 PM

Seems like an excessive amount of work for absolutely little gain.

Skibbo 03-05-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOldSkool (Post 2645012)

More brass is never bad. I agree though that there would be a lot of work for not much gain.

The Flounder 03-05-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOldSkool (Post 2645012)

Isn't that most mods for paintball guns. It is not about the gain it is about making it different. :)

BigOldSkool 03-05-2013 07:32 PM

Yes.. but for the sake of being different..... your talking about setting a gun up right... correctly boring it to fit the insert with out screw it up... then deburring internal slots and holes... then machining the sleeves correctly... then honing the sleeves to a tight fine finish within tolerances... then fixing the sleeves into the body most importantly with out warping or marring them...

Oh and all this for the sake of being "different"

Yeah no forget that.... I work with machine operators that would hit me in the head with a kurt vice if I came to them to ask them to that even on a CNC.

idkfa 03-05-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibbo (Post 2645032)
More brass is never bad. I agree though that there would be a lot of work for not much gain.

If the generalities Doc refers to actually apply, there will be a lot of work for a decrease in performance.

The Flounder 03-05-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOldSkool (Post 2645071)
. I work with machine operators that would hit me in the head with a kurt vice if I came to them to ask them to that even on a CNC.

You must work with some big dudes. Those vises are heavy.