mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #101 (permalink)

A little story from this weekend,

Went to the local field, decided to take my karnivor out since I never play semi.

I was playing recball with the advanced group, some of the players were wearing padded vests. I shot one of the players, didn't get out because he didn't feel it. After i got shot out, i went and pulled the player, showed him his mark, and asked why he didn't get out (couldn't feel it). I didn't get mad, it happens, and we walked off the field together as friends.

Next game, we played a different field with cqb and closed rooms. I ended up working my way up one side of the field, entered a building and cleared a room with 4 ppl in it. (came in the back door) The first person I shot, was the same kid with the padded vest. swept with my gun from left to right, double tapped everyone in the room with clean breaks (2 shot rule at our field) And then waited for the room to clear out of dead players. The player that I shot with the padded vest either decided that I should be dead or didnt feel the hits to and clearly tried to spin ( Was screaming and Cussing, and spitting paint towards me) Since I had the drop on him, I painted him up again before he was able to. (Not happy about over shooting, but it ties into my point)

After the shootout, the player tried to fight me, so I brought the ref over. The ref happened to be watching, confirmed the two breaks that I originally put square in the middle of his back, and explained to the player why he didnt punish me for "overshooting". The ref's reasoning was I put two breaks on him (honoring the rules of paintball and the field), and he showed the intent to cheat/kill me (or that he was still an alive), so I ensured that the player knew he was dead.

If this had been a game with beginner players, I probably just would have let him spin, and been cool with 4 kills. But since it was an advanced game, with players who all know the rules of the game, I played exactly what the rules would allow just like everyone else on the field. What I did was not something that i find honorable or fun, but it happened, and i feel its a case study others can learn from.

I have been overshot before, and sometimes its my fault (not calling a hit on hopper or padding from not feeling it or hearing it) sometimes its their fault (bad trigger control, pissed off, grudge match)

I am not condoning overshooting, sadly it is a much too common part of our imperfect game, but if you are an advanced player wearing padded gear, or gear that restricts you from feeling a hit, i feel that you should understand and not get upset if you get a few extra balls.

WTB RTR Gargoyle
tac0cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #102 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Kicking every player on the opposing team in the junk before each match is a viable tactic too, if you consider viable tactics = ways to win.

However, you'll probably find not many people want to play with you anymore.
this post and Goatboy's reply had me cracking up. I'm not even sure how this applies, unless comparing it to bounce gear as a viable tactic?

anyways: I count myself lucky if I get a bounce, yell bounce and keep playing. I count the other guy lucky if my shot bounces off of him, though it is a little disappointing especially if wearing a lot of bounce gear. Then again I taken bounces off of bdus so go figure.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #103 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac0cat View Post
A little story from this weekend,

After the shootout, the player tried to fight me, so I brought the ref over. The ref happened to be watching, confirmed the two breaks that I originally put square in the middle of his back, and explained to the player why he didnt punish me for "overshooting". The ref's reasoning was I put two breaks on him (honoring the rules of paintball and the field), and he showed the intent to cheat/kill me (or that he was still an alive), so I ensured that the player knew he was dead.

If this had been a game with beginner players, I probably just would have let him spin, and been cool with 4 kills. But since it was an advanced game, with players who all know the rules of the game, I played exactly what the rules would allow just like everyone else on the field. What I did was not something that i find honorable or fun, but it happened, and i feel its a case study others can learn from.

I am not condoning overshooting, sadly it is a much too common part of our imperfect game, but if you are an advanced player wearing padded gear, or gear that restricts you from feeling a hit, i feel that you should understand and not get upset if you get a few extra balls.
I think you handled it well. I'm fine with someone spinning during a surrender if they choose not to(providing field rules allow), but after getting shot twice in the back, even if they bounced (which I believe you should always check before continuing play), why would you think you're going to get away with a turn and shoot. Lame play in my opinion and evidence of some bad attitude/ego on his part. Good thing the ref was watching.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #104 (permalink)
All hail Chad!

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
This brings up an interesting point; that if you manage to achieve a junk shot, you eliminate a player whether it's your ball that breaks, or his.
You narrowly escaped a crew of Hawaiian-shirted buffoons storming your house with markers made from plumbing material, then busting out the Brass-O and terry cloths and obsessively making sure there are no dings or scratches.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
This brings up an interesting point; that if you manage to achieve a junk shot, you eliminate a player whether it's your ball that breaks, or his.
LMAO!! If I have elimination problems, I guess that's where I need to send my FS rounds :P
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #106 (permalink)

simple solution, just keep shootin intil they yell out or ow which ever comes first
Woodsballshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #107 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

^Great way to discourage people from playing, especially newer players who might be wearing the padding because they're anxious about getting hit.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #108 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsballshooter View Post
simple solution, just keep shootin intil they yell out or ow which ever comes first
I have noticed a lot of newer players of all ages will crouch behind the bunker before running out. They are not familiar with the common courtesy of getting hit, check and gtfo of the bunker, unless it bounces. Therefor this is a brutal tactic to use unless they are continuously shooting.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale

Last edited by Kmak; 05-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #109 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsballshooter View Post
Yeah, not so much. That's pretty poor sportsmanship in my book. I'd rather deal with someone wiping and have to shoot them again than light people up like a tourney douche as my first and only plan.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #110 (permalink)

I know i will probably be linched for this but can any of you give me some tips on increasing bouncing i know some of the gear to buy bt bounce vests etc but i don't really want to spend that much so some DIY tips would be nice other than the obvious wear multiple layers and wear loose clothes.
crisscross1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone