mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Lol heinous

more like having your cake and eating it too and also eating everyone elses :P
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Do what it takes to win, as long as it's within the rules.
And we wonder why the sport has trouble keeping newbies sometimes.

Sportsmanship is the difference between a sporting competition and a physical activity. If you can't play with it, then I can't be arsed to play with you.

Unfortunately, stuff like 'bounce' gear does a pretty good job of illustrating that sportsmanship can be honored more in the breach than the observation at the tourney level. I mean, seriously, people talk about wanting to be an Olympic sport, or the next NFL, in one breath, and then go out and buy gear specifically advertised to give them an an unwarranted advantage on the field.
Wraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #43 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Isn't the point of paintball to make paintball break on each other?
Get shot. Play better next time
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Good question Shred...

I often wonder about that very thing. To me the point is to HIT the other player. If the paintball happens to be defective and NOT break, why is the player who made the shot penalized for defective product?

If you are playing capture the flag, and you get all the way over to the other teams flag station, and it blew away during the game and is lost forever. Did you win the game?... You got there, and would have pulled it to win, but there was an equipment malfunction. Does that mean the other team will win, because their flag is gone?
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Good question Shred...

I often wonder about that very thing. To me the point is to HIT the other player. If the paintball happens to be defective and NOT break, why is the player who made the shot penalized for defective product?
Because the point of the game is to leave a nickel-sized spot of paint on an opponent to confirm that you have hit him, not just to bounce balls off of him. Bounces not counting is the simplest way to avoid the he-said-she-said arguments that you'd see in airsoft over who shot who. No paint? No hit.

Wipers, on the other hand, should be sent to a special hell, normally reserved for child molesters, those who talk at the theater.

Quote:
If you are playing capture the flag, and you get all the way over to the other teams flag station, and it blew away during the game and is lost forever. Did you win the game?... You got there, and would have pulled it to win, but there was an equipment malfunction. Does that mean the other team will win, because their flag is gone?
Nah, it just means the refs aren't paying attention, and you should flag the nearest one down to confirm that you've 'raised' the 'flag'.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Only problem with that is that new players don't understand how important paint selection is when playing paintball.

They are given the "cheap" field paint with their starter package that often doesn't break like the good stuff, and therefore need many more hits to get an elimination. Where experienced players buy GOOD paint and all it takes is one shot to get a break.

I see it all the time, little Johnny gets his first marker, and mom buys the cheap stuff. His paint flies this way and that, and he finally gets one to hit his target. And it bounces...

Target turns and nails Johnny, and because target knows how to buy paint, his break, and often he hits little Johnny many times, because he knows that if that shot doesn't break, Johnny will still be in, so throw a bunch to "make sure"... Only problem is, ALL of them hit Johnny.

The accepted rule of paintball is flawed and promotes bonus balling to ensure a break.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
My perspective on that is the opposite. Bonus balling is a cultural issue among players, and fie on the refs who don't call people out for it loudly, and in public.

'Bad' paint really, really isn't that big of a difference.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyrne View Post
In tourney play - sure. In rec ball I prefer: Do what it takes to have fun, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of other people having fun.
I concur.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Out law ball, that is how us old timers started. Single shot PGP's no over shooting etc. although I have marveled at the evolution of the sport IMO it has never been as fun as those outlaw days. That being said the outlaw days evolved into an arms race which created tension in the group. Slowly the group dissolved and we started playing at Hot Pursuit and the rest is history.

If I might suggest you offer my story to your group and you all decide " do we want an arms race, pad finding etc or would we like to keep the group on the common goal of having a good time."

Back then there were never heated arguments about bonus balling etc just a lot if fun. As soon as we introduced semi autos the arguments began.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #50 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I only accept/understand their use in close quarters (i.e. CQB, speedball, etc) where they 'take the sting out of a shot' while still allowing a break.
Where I play woodsball you never know at the start of the game if it's going to end up a close-quarters battle or not. There are multiple forts that encourage this kind of thing.
Quote:
For me it's clear- if it's not to protect your bones, joints, crotch, or neck, padding should not be allowed.
Adding padding with the intention to create a bounce (as opposed to protecting your natural padding) is a douche thing to do. But I wouldn't advocate taking the other extreme either. There's a happy medium to be had. Players should be able to gear up to protect themselves from excessive welts. Besides, I think people here are WAY over-emphasizing the effectiveness of padding. Your basic neoprene forearm pads and padded shirts make you no softer and susceptible to bounces than going without a shirt - often quite the opposite.

Quote:
I despise their use in woodsball as I believe it has an impact on the often longer range shots.
Quote:
I don't agree here. If someone shoots well out of their effective range (happens all the time with people shooting flatlines and Apex barrels) and they happen to snag a lucky hit, and the ball doesn't break, I'm not out. Heck, I've been hit with paintballs that have bounced off the ground before, and I've actually caught a paintball with my bare hands from someone that shot it from way far away. It was just floating down.

I agree it's not in the spirit of the game to pad yourself up with balloons to get bounces. I'm also of the mindset that it's not in the spirit of the game to get other gear, such as a flatline or Apex, and then institute a "if it hits without breaking, you're still out" rule to make that gear extremely advantageous. That's just as bad... just at the other end of the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Because the point of the game is to leave a nickel-sized spot of paint on an opponent to confirm that you have hit him, not just to bounce balls off of him. Bounces not counting is the simplest way to avoid the he-said-she-said arguments that you'd see in airsoft over who shot who. No paint? No hit.
Agreed here.

To anyone complaining that their shots are bouncing, I'd suggest getting higher quality paint. The only padding I wear is on my head (Turtle Cap) and knees. But as long as I'm getting hit with those rocks that they box up and call cheap paintballs, you can bet that I'm not going to feel bad about wearing my cap or seeing players padding up.

I use high quality paint and, with the exception of really, really hot/humid days, I don't have any problems with bounces.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone