mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #51 (permalink)

The rules are the rules are the rules. Although I've never been to a field where EVERY hit counts, break or bounce, I would play by those rules if that's what they were.. However I PREFER the "standard" rule set of only breaks count. Might as well be playing airsoft or with reballs imo if even bounces count.

Also, I don't mean to single you out, Free Enterprise (I know we've had disagreements before lol), but now I understand how you get people out at some extreme range at your field. Those are some very impressive shots you make in your videos, but if you were playing by the regular "Breaks only" rules, most of those I'm sure wouldn't count. At those ranges you're hitting people with normal paint, I'm sure they get a lot of bounces.

The Apex (Which I LOVE) is already a huge advantage as it is in the woods. Playing bounces count is just straight up unfair lol. Same for the Flatline.

Last edited by SlamSlayer; 03-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.
SlamSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't remember what they called it, but I remember a lot of people use to take a shirt that was cut up or something and when crouching they could slip it over their knees and stretch the shirt out so it's like a large sheet in front of the player so they can hide behind their shirt while it takes bounces.

Anybody remember the name for this?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #53 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Breaks totally depend on paint. If you can walk outside and throw a paintball up about 10 feet in the air, and it falls down on the ground (I test on my gravel driveway) and it breaks, it is good for long range shooting. As it clearly is brittle enough that it will break when it hits something, even when it has slowed way down.

You would be shocked how many breaks I get at long range. The few that don't break but bounce are very rare... As I always ask if it broke when I get a longball. That in game shot from December in the snow that was all the way across my field. It hit the other players hopper and broke. Paint is key. We typically play in the cold, so we have thick coats on and such, and I have gotten many 250+ feet away breaks even hitting soft things like coats, and hitting guys in the padded stomach... (padded like mine is, from eating too much!)

Pretty much everyone at my field uses either the Apex or Flatline, as you are at a distinct disadvantage without it. Pretty much all of my "borrow" guns have one or the other as well, so new players start out with the advantage as well.

I never understand guys that don't use them, with good paint, you can make some unbelievable shots.

The main reason we have the "any hit counts regardless of break" rule is because my field is a bring your own paint. And I don't want the guy bringing monsterballs to have to light me up to get me out... (glad monsterballs are gone now) Bounces are the worst, as they HURT.

Me personally, I buy good paint... Bounces don't show up well on video, but you can SEE the breaks with good paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShvIkvO6sjE
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
If you are getting bounces it is usually one of two things. A) Your too far way from your opponent; out of effective range. Or B) you are using crap paint. Good portion it is a combination of the two but even long balling some one with good, brittle paint usually results in a break as it is designed to break upon impact.
Side note, I don't feel that a 'bounce shirt' is useful in promoting bounces, allot of them are designed to prevent welts and the neoprene is firm not soft. I have played in elbow/forearm pads and a tank top and have taken direct hits in the pads and almost always the paint breaks. Why? Because it is a solid surface that the paint is impacting upon. If you want less bounces, man up and engage your opponent at a closer range and buy better paint. You can get good, brittle paint from your local shop without breaking the bank, i.e. Valken Graffiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #55 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
Rules that I've seen in tournaments that I think are fair to apply in rec ball when it comes to excessive clothing are

1. No excessively baggy clothing(i.e. the 5'10" 130 lb. kid should not be wearing a 3XL t-shirt)

2. No more than 2 layers of normal clothing(an undershirt of some kind and a jersey over it is reasonable)

3. all shirts must be tucked into the harness and/or pants. (this prevents hanging clothing from "catching" paint.)

this plus the usual elbow/knee pads is fair IMO
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
There was something strangely theraputic about that video FreeEnterprise!

Dunno why this reminded me (maybe the talk of cake), but one of the TiPX Challenge mini games I played last year had the most dire paint I'd ever used.
You had to use their TiPX, with their 7 rounds of paint, no reloads - I had to keep ejecting the mag and messing with the guider to get it to load, once it did, fired my first few shots at my opponent (I normally only need 1 or 2, but I didn't trust that thing ) - all bounces.
Frustrated, I chased the guy and double tapped him (watching him flinch twice) - no breaks, so I followed up with my last two, one broke in the barrel, one bounced.
"You're out, no paint left".

It really, really highlights the need for good paint to get a break. I must've been a couple of metres away max.

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
Terminus Est

personally i think a plate carrier with foam plates to get bounces adds a sense of realism to milsim play. get shot in the armour, live. get shot in the head, die. arm wound or leg wound, your out or wounded in real life. i know this is not 100% accurate but it makes milsim play feel more realistic. i have gotten a few bounces off my plate and knew darn well they bounced, so continued with my firing. i have been shot in the unprotected skull before, and called myself out only to find it was a bounce (somehow). i would have left either way. a head shot means your done. so i think it can be a good thing when mixed with common sense and honesty.
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULL View Post
personally i think a plate carrier with foam plates to get bounces adds a sense of realism to milsim play. get shot in the armour, live. get shot in the head, die. arm wound or leg wound, your out or wounded in real life. i know this is not 100% accurate but it makes milsim play feel more realistic. i have gotten a few bounces off my plate and knew darn well they bounced, so continued with my firing. i have been shot in the unprotected skull before, and called myself out only to find it was a bounce (somehow). i would have left either way. a head shot means your done. so i think it can be a good thing when mixed with common sense and honesty.
See that's how I've ALWAYS looked at it since when I first started playing paintball. And still tend you explain it like that now to new players when I tell them to remember to check their hits quickly before calling themselves out. Paintball is for all intents and purposes, simulated combat. At least, or especially, the woodsball side of it. So it makes sense to me that a bounce is a round stopped by "a vest" while a break is a penetration.
SlamSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #59 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
I like this!!!

I may have over did the bounce technique?

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
But are you doing this in a mil-sim game where everyone else is alright with this? I wear a harness vest so I notice when folks complain about 'mil-simmers and their padded vests' at recball games.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone