mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

that was cool!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Lockdown

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Great perspective. I wonder if mic cords are small enough or long enough to have something like 20' long that it can dangle and hopefully pick up game sounds over the props.
Last I heard they are working on better sound - right now they cut the audio since the motor/propeller noise is too loud next to the cameras built in mic. Even dangling the mic just a couple of feet might do the trick...

I am also fairly sure that this drone is not entirely "off the shelf"...it may have begun as a commercial model, but they have built a number of custom parts and modified the frame as well.

the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Yes I've been looking at AR Drones fore a while. I honestly like the humming bird drone, camera, wings flap like a bird it's incredible but poor image quality.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
"Fidget"

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
thats pretty cool. I cam imagine you would get some great footage if it was over the center line at Living legends. Al though with that many people I can see someone being "that dick" who shoots it down.

MCB FEEDBACK

4G010H3R0'S WTB THREAD

Facebook Page
4G010H3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

speaking of shooting it down...

My brother in law had a trainer plane, and used to fly it over my house just so I would grab my paintball gun and shoot at it! He would fly evasively and I would try and try to hit it.

That thing was really fun to shoot. I hit it quite a few times, and it would almost flip it over if you got it in the wing. But, since it was Styrofoam it didn't hurt it (it would put little dents in it).

Then one day he flew my father in laws real expensive plane over my house... I didn't realize it wasn't his trainer, as they were the same color and of course I ran and got my paintball gun...

Threw a few at it, and wondered why he went up real fast and flew back to his house... Only to realize it wasn't his trainer. Lol, good thing I missed it. the paint would have gone right through the balsa wood frame and film covering!

The things you do for fun out in the country...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Check with your fields insurance before you even think of bringing it out.....

There is all sorts of legal issues with remote control planes if it crashes into someone. That is the main reason why my drone is going land based. I really don't want to be sued if something goes wrong.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Wow, I played at Paintball Jungle back around 95- looks much more developed now.

Oh yea, back on topic. In my opinion, the benefit of a drone is the overhead view.- you get a sense of the action that you simply will not from someone on the ground- the ground one side is gaining, the opposition's responses, etc. The problem is getting them to a good altitude, or the challenges of a wooded environment. I believe it's a waste for the camera to be at eye level or lower- just send a person.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Oh, I forgot something. While technically not a drone, an action cam on a kite could be effective for a 'god's eye view'.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Oh yea, back on topic. In my opinion, the benefit of a drone is the overhead view.- you get a sense of the action that you simply will not from someone on the ground- the ground one side is gaining, the opposition's responses, etc. The problem is getting them to a good altitude, or the challenges of a wooded environment. I believe it's a waste for the camera to be at eye level or lower- just send a person.
I agree, sure the drone could "swoop" down and all, but all in all I think high altitude video is where these are at. The only time to have one fly low is for staged events where you may have the camera fly through things and such that man and camera cannot...like through a window in a bunker or something.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I have been thinking of using a Parrot drone. The new 2.0 with the extended life batteries are supposed to get around 15-20 minutes of fly time, and the Sony Action Cam is pretty light in weight. I have been looking at a forum specifically for the Parrot drone's, and saw one guy that cut alot weight from his, so with a camera, a GoPro, it weighs in only a couple of grams over a stock on drone. And now, the Parrots offer a 720 camera up front.

My idea is to mount a Sony cam at a downward angle, probably around 35 degrees or so, and let it film (Using my iPad for a monitor), and flying the drone back and forth over an open field (Too many trees means that you either have to fly low enough to get shot at, or you fly above and don't get any footage). I would need a few of the battery packs though, to get enough footage.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone