mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
If you are getting a gun because it is 24BPS - it is really is the wrong way to pick a marker. Competitive Paintball is capped under 15BPS, some outdoor fields don't permit a high ROF anyways.

Masks:

EFlex
i4
Profits

There are lots to choose from
gotcha. I mean I dont really care THAT MUCH about the bps but I certainly want a marker that is fast... meaning I dont really want a pump as my primary lol. thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
As far as good masks go, I suggest hitting up a paintball shop if you've got one nearby, and just trying on everything they have. Pretty much everything with a thermal lens is good, but the different brands will fit your head differently, so finding one that fits you best is important.

Toss 'em on, shake your head, look down, look up. Does the mask move well with you? Can your breathe well, and hear in it? Is the field of vision good?

A well-chosen mask is far and away the best place you can put money into your kit.

As far as guns go, consider the ongoing cost as well. Playing 24 BPS with the Reflex means about 75 cents a second worth of paint, if you're paying $60 a case like I am here. That adds up quick, so speed of fire may not be the best thing to use as a deciding factor.

Play how you want to, but if you can't afford to feed the gun, you're not going to get as much use out of it as you could, and 12.5 bps is just as workable as 24 for most things. Don't give up something that fits your hand and pocketbook better just for gofast.
ah, very helpful post, thank you I had said that to the lady who I was speaking with yesterday about the markers... I asked her what difference is there REALLY between a marker that is 15bps vs 24 bps... I mean can people really shoot that fast anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Why buy new though? Is it the "warranty" or the shop saying they will work on it for life?
the shop said they will work on it for life. I want to buy a new one because part of this is taking up the sport of paintball as a hobby and enjoying it, but there is also the portion of just owning the marker as an item that I love... ill be doing more with it than just taking it to the field. I dont really want to purchase a used marker offline from someone...

I dont have a credit or debit card/bank account anyway, so I would have to send a money order of some sort which just sounds like a big hassle.

thanks for the replies
SluggoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
Most people here would rather use the Hammer then the Etha, I can tell you for sure most posters here were more interested when they heard kingman was putting out the hammer then PE with the Etha.

So I'm not sure your looking in the right spot for the advice you want. Pbnation is more about the "newest" tech marker with the nice new milling that shoots at unnecessarily high speeds. Not to say people here don't use those markers, but no one here would have an issue hitting the field with a hammer 7.

On which note, if you didn't want to use it on the field, what is the point of shooting first stikes exactly?

Grab a nice mask, hit the field and try some markers. Bring your hammer, play a game with it. Try and rentals, borrow some markers. At least have a better idea of the options. If you want to compete in tournaments then the Rail (not reflex, your paying way more just for better milling, nothing improved about the Reflex over the rail aside from fancy milling) Mini or Axe would be my recommendations. If not I'd look at some DP markers as well, and some used markers on the electro section.
um, now im confused. Why would they use a 130 dollar marker instead of a 400 dollar one if they had the choice? I wanted the Hammer with first strike because I wanted to use it or let my friends use it when we play for fun in the woods across the street from my house.
SluggoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoSteel View Post
ah, very helpful post, thank you I had said that to the lady who I was speaking with yesterday about the markers... I asked her what difference is there REALLY between a marker that is 15bps vs 24 bps... I mean can people really shoot that fast anyway?
Some folks can, but aiming at that rate isn't great because you're jerking the marker around a little trying to hit the trigger that fast.

Mostly you'd hit it on either full-auto or ramping (continued trigger pulls each fire more paint, so you get 1..1..2..3..5..10..etc rounds per trigger pull without having to work the trigger faster). Both of those modes are iffy as far as being allowed on many rec ball fields, and even tourney play caps them at 15 bps.

Quote:
um, now im confused. Why would they use a 130 dollar marker instead of a 400 dollar one if they had the choice? I wanted the Hammer with first strike because I wanted to use it or let my friends use it when we play for fun in the woods across the street from my house.
Because more money doesn't always mean a better marker. For example, my go-to is a Splatmaster pistol, a CO2 powered pump action pistol that's almost 30 years old, and might manage 10 shots per minute on a good day. They run $40 on ebay. But I have fun with it, and thus it's my favorite.

Last edited by Wraith; 03-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
I use a pump as my primary, I, like the majority of Members here have a collection of guns. Ranging from 3K down to the lowly Spyder Hammer 7, coming in at a whopping $130.

I love shooting the Hammer, it is an innovative marker - after companies release the same marker year after year, calling it the latest and greatest, with no real improvement over the previous years model, or the year before, heck, even further back. You buy a new Dye Ego, use it for half a year and they release the newest version, your $1500 gun is now worth $700, and the following year after is about half of that...

The only new gun I've bought in the since 2005 was a Hammer 7, the previous new gun I bought prior to 2005 was probably in 99 I think. Buying used is the way to go in my opinion. Once you learn your way around a gun, it's more economical to go that route. Plus for the money you want to spend - you can get that $1500 gun for far less, and still use it for years to come...even if it is a few years old. The oldest gun on my wall is from the 80's - and it still shoots like a champ.

Have a look around the BST area - see what you could get for the money you want to spend, you'll be surprised.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm glad others explained more calmly then myself. You gotta really look to see what you are paying for. It all depends on the style of play, but no matter what all EP markers (mid to high end electros) are going to shoot just about as fast, speed is NOT what your paying for.

My old Evil Pimp shoots as fast (if not faster) then my (much newer) DP threshold, but the Threshy has a lot of features that make it a bit of a nicer marker. Further its far lighter and easier to handle and maintain.

For example with the Rail you are paying for a very high quality marker, with the reflex rail your adding at least another 150 just for milling (the body style of the marker).

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

I just want to re-iterate what Jebus said, reputable fields will not let you play at 24 bps anyways. Max ROF makes no difference.
I would buy a nice mask and hit the field with your hammer for a couple of weekends before you decide to buy an electro.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
because speedball gets boring after you played long enough. you just sit at one place pushing a button until one of the balls shoot straight. it also scares newbies. on top of that it makes you waste a lot of paint which is $$$ down the drain.

that said, we probably all already have a $400+ gun, we just leave them in the car until misbehaving players bully newcomers with their own $400 gun. then we take ours out to even the field a bit.

as for the mask, get the one that sits comfortable on your face. that and thermal lens are all that matters. don't get suckered by the shop owner into buying the absolutely fanciest mask, it's a trap.

so maybe $60 for a mask, $60 for a hopper, $60 for hpa if your field supports it, that leaves $420 for an empire axe or invert mini. plenty enough gun for most fields. you might even just keep your hammer 7 if the field is mostly kids with cheap mech blowback guns. you should be able to keep up with those after some practice and a decent hopper.

Last edited by heinous; 03-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I played speedball competitively for a long time and got burnt out. I now play pump and really enjoy playing just for fun again.

I would suggest a mag or well timed cocker to start with. Plenty of parts are available for both and they can dish out plenty of paint as well. Get one of those new revvies, and a compressed air tank and your setup will be less than one of the electros alone. If you get a cocker that is well timed, don't mess with it. Clean the bolt, put a few drops of oil in the Asa and leave it alone.

As for masks:
Proflex
I4s

Test shoot the gun before buying it and most of all, have fun.
U.S. Army All-Star Tournament Team #82

Proudly Sponsored By:
HK Army, Ninja Paintball, Forgotten Muse Media, UNDR, paintballphotography.com, Hybrid Foto, and Blenders Eyewear

Be kind and leave feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone