mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Never even played before or been to a field, almost bought a Reflex yesterday

im considering picking it up today, but is this a bad idea for a newbie like myself? I was going to purchase the Proto Rail instead, but I ended up being almost sold on the Reflex when I learned they didnt have the Rail in stock... is it a bad idea to get a marker this nice if I have never played before?

I don't want to impulse buy on this marker, seeing how im going to be spending 600-700+ bucks for the mask and tank and everything... but it really appeals to me. Should I wait until I am more serious and played a few games, or should I go ahead and pick it up?

thanks
SluggoSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
if you have the cash to drop, then go for it
if its every penny you have, dont.

go hit up the field, use the rentals, or borrow a marker from a friend
see if you like it
see how you react when you get shot

if you love it and never want to leave, then ya buy some gear!
if your on the fence, buy a nice mask, and rent a few more times!
a nice mask will make renting much more enjoyable
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I would start out with a used gun, one that is easy to work on, and a reliable one at that. Pick up a new, or like new mask, don't skimp on that - if you can't see, you can't play effectively.

You are jumping right into an electro - is that what is important to you? Is it the looks of it? Are you playing indoor speedball, or in the woods?

Plenty of options for you, personally I wouldn't purchase that gun, but I like playing pump. When I want to shoot more paint during a game, I go with a Mechanical Automag. They are fairly simple to work on - depending on the model, very easy to clean - as in submerge the gun in warm soapy water and cycle the gun a few time kinda easy.

You can find such a gun on here for far less than what you are willing to spend.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
if you have the cash to drop, then go for it
if its every penny you have, dont.

go hit up the field, use the rentals, or borrow a marker from a friend
see if you like it
see how you react when you get shot

if you love it and never want to leave, then ya buy some gear!
if your on the fence, buy a nice mask, and rent a few more times!
a nice mask will make renting much more enjoyable
its not necessarily every penny I have, I just feel like if I get the Reflex, then im obligated to get top of the line hopper, mask, tank, paint, etc... and then im worried about spending too much.

Could you recommend a good mask that won't break the bank? all I know is that im supposed to get a thermal lensed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I would start out with a used gun, one that is easy to work on, and a reliable one at that. Pick up a new, or like new mask, don't skimp on that - if you can't see, you can't play effectively.

You are jumping right into an electro - is that what is important to you? Is it the looks of it? Are you playing indoor speedball, or in the woods?

Plenty of options for you, personally I wouldn't purchase that gun, but I like playing pump. When I want to shoot more paint during a game, I go with a Mechanical Automag. They are fairly simple to work on - depending on the model, very easy to clean - as in submerge the gun in warm soapy water and cycle the gun a few time kinda easy.

You can find such a gun on here for far less than what you are willing to spend.
I mean, I dont want an ugly gun but looks really dont matter very much... The reason I wanted the Reflex was because I heard it was 24 BPS, and im already pretty darn good with my fingers, I want something that can shoot very fast...

The store that I would be purchasing from gives me a 1 year warranty with it, and they also told me they would work on it for free for life... I thought that was pretty cool.

as far as woods or speed, I honestly would like to play both! I really don't have too much of a preference right now...

I also was looking at the Planet Eclipse Etha... this also looked like a good buy, and I thought the mounting kit was a cool option as well, but something about the Reflex I really like.

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
i'd suggest playing with a rental marker first, if only to have a baseline for an appreciation of a better marker later. definitely get a good mask right off the bat, but i feel like if you use something like a tippmann 98 a few times, THEN you get a better gun....you'll really really love it and appreciate it. plus, itll give you a little time to try out a couple of different guns first. most people will at least let you try their gun out at the chrono or take a couple of shots while walking off the field. see what feels best in your hand, and when you pull the trigger.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
As far as good masks go, I suggest hitting up a paintball shop if you've got one nearby, and just trying on everything they have. Pretty much everything with a thermal lens is good, but the different brands will fit your head differently, so finding one that fits you best is important.

Toss 'em on, shake your head, look down, look up. Does the mask move well with you? Can your breathe well, and hear in it? Is the field of vision good?

A well-chosen mask is far and away the best place you can put money into your kit.

As far as guns go, consider the ongoing cost as well. Playing 24 BPS with the Reflex means about 75 cents a second worth of paint, if you're paying $60 a case like I am here. That adds up quick, so speed of fire may not be the best thing to use as a deciding factor.

Play how you want to, but if you can't afford to feed the gun, you're not going to get as much use out of it as you could, and 12.5 bps is just as workable as 24 for most things. Don't give up something that fits your hand and pocketbook better just for gofast.

Last edited by Wraith; 03-07-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
If you are getting a gun because it is 24BPS - it is really is the wrong way to pick a marker. Competitive Paintball is capped under 15BPS, some outdoor fields don't permit a high ROF anyways.

Masks:

EFlex
i4
Profits

There are lots to choose from

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadro View Post
i'd suggest playing with a rental marker first, if only to have a baseline for an appreciation of a better marker later. definitely get a good mask right off the bat, but i feel like if you use something like a tippmann 98 a few times, THEN you get a better gun....you'll really really love it and appreciate it. plus, itll give you a little time to try out a couple of different guns first. most people will at least let you try their gun out at the chrono or take a couple of shots while walking off the field. see what feels best in your hand, and when you pull the trigger.
I guess it was dumb of me to not mention that I have a Spyder Hammer 7, I just bought it because it could shoot first strike, and it was cheap, I never really intended on bringing it to the field. Also, many many years ago I had a viewloader Orion that I bought at G.I. Joes for like 60 bucks, and I never took it to any fields.

After doing some research, im sort of leaning toward the Etha. But now I think ill just go to the shop and purchase a nice mask, and go to a field this weekend....

its just hard for me to resist buying something! ive been saving for a quite a while and have a good deal of cash that im anxious to blow, I guess its just burning a hole in my pocket!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Why buy new though? Is it the "warranty" or the shop saying they will work on it for life?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Most people here would rather use the Hammer then the Etha, I can tell you for sure most posters here were more interested when they heard kingman was putting out the hammer then PE with the Etha.

So I'm not sure your looking in the right spot for the advice you want. Pbnation is more about the "newest" tech marker with the nice new milling that shoots at unnecessarily high speeds. Not to say people here don't use those markers, but no one here would have an issue hitting the field with a hammer 7.

On which note, if you didn't want to use it on the field, what is the point of shooting first stikes exactly?

Grab a nice mask, hit the field and try some markers. Bring your hammer, play a game with it. Try and rentals, borrow some markers. At least have a better idea of the options. If you want to compete in tournaments then the Rail (not reflex, your paying way more just for better milling, nothing improved about the Reflex over the rail aside from fancy milling) Mini or Axe would be my recommendations. If not I'd look at some DP markers as well, and some used markers on the electro section.

Dust Red/Chrome Evil Pimp Kit
Evil Detonator HPR, Machette On/Off, Stock Trigger w/ Spring, Matrix Detent Mod/Detents, Kila Eye Covers, Kila Grips, Chrome Evil Smokestack

Dangerous Power Dark Earth Threshold- Black CP HPR
AGD Classic Mag - Intelliframe, Benchmark rail/forgrip, Shocktech drop/ASA.
Azodin KP2 2011 - Stock

Barrels
A/C - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), Lucker .678, CP .691 (Dust Black). Bob Long Assasins .689
Impulse - Evil Pipe Kit (Gloss Black/Silver), 14inch Pipe (Dust Black/Silver), Redz Pepperstick .689
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone