mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Question Would you watch a 30 minute Outlaw web episode?

So, I've been filming paintball at my outlaw field for years. And I have TONS of edited footage, and I got to thinking... There are "shows" out there for speedball, and paintball at paintball fields, and generic paintball shows.

But, nothing (that I know of anyway) that only focuses on FREE outlaw play...

How it is done, what it looks like, equipment needed, gear used, ect. So I've been kicking around in my head the idea of possibly starting a Trails of Doom video episode series. This would be a 30 minute show, that talked about the stuff that I am interested in, as I am assuming there are others out there interested as well.

When I first got into paintball, I looked and looked and all I found was typical paintball information that fields use on forums and such, but nothing focused on a large and growing (especially in this economic climate) area of outlaw paintball.

This wouldn't be me sitting in front of a camera and talking for 30 minutes... No one wants to see that! It would be me talking for a minute or two about something specific followed by an edited clip of what I am talking about for a few minutes, then more of me talking, then more edited video clips. ect. As I find video to be the best format to show people what you are talking about.

With the goal of informing viewers about what makes a good outlaw field, what equipment works, what you can use to video paintball, tactics, camo, safety, typical firing distances, how to set up a field, how to run games, divide teams, how to keep track of players and what to use so players know what is on what team, and so on, ect.

What do you guys think? On my youtube analytics, I see that most people watch youtube videos for a minute or two max... Unless it is really good...

As I know when I am looking for video on youtube, I move on if the content is lame, and try to find the good stuff. Well, this would be a way to take my best content, and put it all together, all in one video.

With more and more TV's being able to connect to the internet for video, I could pretty much start my own TV show, for free at home to help others set up their own outlaw field in their part of the country/world.

Which if successful would grow the sport.

Or be incredibly lame. Everyone like a good train wreck, right?

What do you think?

And what should it be named?

Other thoughts include letting other people out there take their best footage and let them put together short 5 minute or less clips that I could put into these shows... It just might be a cool new way to interact with others in our sport, and most of all, be fun!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think this sounds awesome! I used to help maintain and played at an outlaw field for years. We were always trying to rennovate and change up the layout but with nearly no resources (we were mostly 18-25ish at the time) it was very difficult.

For example:

Occasionally we would score some OBD plywood on the cheap. But with nobody having any construction experience we had no idea that the stuff would suck up water and fall apart if left to natures elements. So the small amount of disposable cash we had would sometimes end up going to waste.

Little tips here and there mixed with awesome clips to get people hyped about playing paintball is a GREAT idea imo. I'd love to see something like this happen.

The only thing that bugs me is who do they call for support on those regs? Mr. H? He'd be all "ahhh brah no your uhhh regamajiger is umm like broke...ahahahah hhhhhh"
slider325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

First and foremost, whoever is playing host duties CANNOT be a bumbling idiot. Or a fat old bearded "paintball guy."

Every single "do it yourself" attempt at a paintball tv show I've ever seen has such low production value and terrible on-camera performance as to be a joke if not unwatchable.

If it is better than that^^^^

I'd watch.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Well, here is a video that I just did to give you an idea of the production value...

Watch ZoomCam, How to build your own! Trails of Doom Innovation, so Viewers can SEE the hits! | Trails Of Doom Episodes | Learning Videos | Blip

Honest opinions... What do you think of that? (I've got the fat, old, and partially bearded part at least)...

Last edited by FreeEnterprise; 03-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Well, here is a video that I just did to give you an idea of the production value...

Watch ZoomCam, How to build your own! Trails of Doom Innovation, so Viewers can SEE the hits! | Trails Of Doom Episodes | Learning Videos | Blip

Honest opinions... What do you think of that? (I've got the fat, old, and partially bearded part at least)...
Constructive criticism/tips from an observer:

1. Your camera angle in that clip is too wide. Don't zoom, just move the camera closer. If you're sitting at a table and talking, think about how TV news stations frame it, and mimic that.

2. Don't forget about quality audio. If at all possible, use a lapel mic so you're not picking up room echo.

3. Have a script/notes. If you don't, you'll ramble on and on and repeat yourself. But avoid reading or sticking to the script like a robot too. Don't read unless you're quoting someone.

4. Don't repeat yourself (I didn't see where you did, but it's a common pitfall). Some really good content creators still fall into this trap. If you've said it once, the viewer gets it.

5. If you're creating a "how-to" about something, separate the filming and the voiceover instructions/description. A good example is when you were trying to show how you set up the zoom camera can. Don't fumble with the stuff while trying to talk about it at the same time. Instead, film the equipment at a close angle, and then voiceover the audio description.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Nice vid and good job on the new setup.

Some constructive comments that could help make it just a little better.

I liked having the video playing in the background...keep that sort of thing going. And while you may want to focus on outlaw, it would never hurt to have other styles of play as well. You may even want to "lower" it a little so the whole TV is in frame and then you can even have "featured" video's playing in the background...that way if say for example Jakal filmed his play for the day and sends it to you...you could have it playing in the background while you are demonstrating whatever.

Or if you are doing a play style demonstration you could do a PiP sort of thing with the video playing down in the corner while you are talking, and then when you want to highlight what you are talking about, the gameplay video takes over the screen.

I say all that and make it sound easy...but I have yet to crack open any video editing more complex that windows movie maker

You need a mic near you...while you do have a good clear voice it was lost in the big space you were recording in. Placing a mic near you to pick up you talking will add to the quality of the video.

Also when doing demonstration video's like this consider having a second camera setup that is zoomed into what you are working on. While it was nice to see the new setup, when you were showing us what you had done, you were so far away that we could not really see what you were doing. I think it would take some practice since it is just you to make certain you have it zoomed in right and that you keep your demonstrations in camera. Cause nothing is worse than the "host" reaching over to grab the remote to adjust the zoom.

Not certain about 30 minutes though...you already brought up the point of short attention span. What you need to think about is how are you going to consistently fill up 30 minutes. If you feel comfortable with 10-15 minutes then go with that...you can always take longer segments and break them up into smaller ones....but if you end up having to ramble on and on just to fill up 30 minutes, then the channel gets turned and people are watching something else.

Just some thoughts.
But overall I like the idea. I wish there were some outlaw fields around me, or that I had 20 acres or so to start one
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Great points brought up. Thanks guys! I will take all of that into consideration. Any more input would be appreciated!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

scantily clad women would be a plus....but only when my wife is not watching with me

just sayin'.....
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
So, I've been filming paintball at my outlaw field for years. And I have TONS of edited footage, and I got to thinking... There are "shows" out there for speedball, and paintball at paintball fields, and generic paintball shows.

But, nothing (that I know of anyway) that only focuses on FREE outlaw play...

How it is done, what it looks like, equipment needed, gear used, ect. So I've been kicking around in my head the idea of possibly starting a Trails of Doom video episode series. This would be a 30 minute show, that talked about the stuff that I am interested in, as I am assuming there are others out there interested as well.

When I first got into paintball, I looked and looked and all I found was typical paintball information that fields use on forums and such, but nothing focused on a large and growing (especially in this economic climate) area of outlaw paintball.

This wouldn't be me sitting in front of a camera and talking for 30 minutes... No one wants to see that! It would be me talking for a minute or two about something specific followed by an edited clip of what I am talking about for a few minutes, then more of me talking, then more edited video clips. ect. As I find video to be the best format to show people what you are talking about.

With the goal of informing viewers about what makes a good outlaw field, what equipment works, what you can use to video paintball, tactics, camo, safety, typical firing distances, how to set up a field, how to run games, divide teams, how to keep track of players and what to use so players know what is on what team, and so on, ect.

What do you guys think? On my youtube analytics, I see that most people watch youtube videos for a minute or two max... Unless it is really good...

As I know when I am looking for video on youtube, I move on if the content is lame, and try to find the good stuff. Well, this would be a way to take my best content, and put it all together, all in one video.

With more and more TV's being able to connect to the internet for video, I could pretty much start my own TV show, for free at home to help others set up their own outlaw field in their part of the country/world.

Which if successful would grow the sport.

Or be incredibly lame. Everyone like a good train wreck, right?

What do you think?

And what should it be named?

Other thoughts include letting other people out there take their best footage and let them put together short 5 minute or less clips that I could put into these shows... It just might be a cool new way to interact with others in our sport, and most of all, be fun!
upload first, let chips fall where they may.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
scantily clad women would be a plus....but only when my wife is not watching with me

just sayin'.....
No offense, but that is not gonna happen... It bugs me the way women are pushed as only eye candy in our sport, no way would I promote that same thing in any of my personal content. There are plenty of other channels already pushing content like that.

I have two teenage daughters who play with me, and I have a following of women players (almost 10% of my viewers are women) and I certainly don't want to offend them...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone