mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Old Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I'm tempted to grab a gun and blast away with it at a wall, if I was at my home field I probably would but I am new to most of these fields and that might get bad attention. I will bring it up with the head ref next time I am there.

It is one of the most unsafe things I have ever seen, short of taking goggles off on the field. I don't even know if they have their guns turned off.
Good for you in bringing this up...Next time we are at those 2 fields, when we go to chrono, stick your swab in the barrel and give the ref a quick lesson.

Actually, I will video it and put it on YouTube as well.

Last edited by gmore70; 03-18-2013 at 08:56 PM.
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Man, Rob "Tyger" Rubin had a great WebDog Radio video that showed the different BBDs out there - barrel plug, towel, swab, and barrel bag - by literally shoving them onto or in a barrel and pulling the trigger... and I can't find it. *feh*

I do remember that swabs fared about as well as anything else that was not a barrel bag - it flew out, quite a ways, and looked like it could cause quite a lot of damage. However, I know the barrel plug that Simon made for Invert/Mini works well enough that a lot of companies are copying it (like this one but not as long, same business end in the barrel, though), and there's a new barrel swab out (Exalt's Barrel Maid swab) that has a cool expansion element to it's squeegee tip when you draw it out of a barrel. I'd want to test it before trying it, but that may be the one and only swab that may actually perform duty as a safe barrel blocking device.

Otherwise, if they don't have a barrel bag/sock/condom, they need to get one on their barrel ASAP, and away from my bare eyeballs.

Wait! Found 'em!
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDlqo3-WqA

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wj55sIuTM

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I had a Flasc barrel bag this weekend. Bumped the trigger while walking off the field. The second ball ripped right through the end of the bag.

We are lucky to still be talking about paintball.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

In the cases that I have seen people with a squeegee stuck in the barrel, they have lost their barrel condom. I have never seen a ref let it fly without an explanation around these parts.

I'd like to have seen him shoot several balls at one of the old school rubber blocks. I can't see a worn one of those standing up to more than two shots. I have some in the bottom of my bag that hardly stay in the barrel.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Apart from pain. And maybe humiliation and obviously death. And failure. But apart from fear, pain and humiliation, failure and the unknown and death we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Who’s with me?

-Arnold J. Rimmer
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloneoni View Post
In the cases that I have seen people with a squeegee stuck in the barrel, they have lost their barrel condom. I have never seen a ref let it fly without an explanation around these parts.
Without an explanation? So it suddenly becomes okay because they are forgetful? Fields often have BBDs for sale and/or have buckets of rental barrel bags.

Sorry, I don't care if a leprechaun stole it, either use a BBD or leave the premises.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloneoni View Post

I'd like to have seen him shoot several balls at one of the old school rubber blocks. I can't see a worn one of those standing up to more than two shots. I have some in the bottom of my bag that hardly stay in the barrel.
I hear you on the barrel plugs. I had a tippman one, that would fall out of practically anything especially my 98c. THe only type of barrel plug I would trust would be the type that tighten up real good. I have a little one by cooper-T that is a piece of delrin with a knurled aluminum screw that you tighten down and it expands the delrin insert to make it near impossible to pull out.

That said I'd still much rather everyone used barrel bags. THe problem at one local field is geting the people to actually cinch the straps down so that actually take repeated shots. Its like people don't think about the fact that if it falls off while walking it isn't going to do its job stopping a shot.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Without an explanation? So it suddenly becomes okay because they are forgetful? Fields often have BBDs for sale and/or have buckets of rental barrel bags.

Sorry, I don't care if a leprechaun stole it, either use a BBD or leave the premises.

That is usually what the "explanation" involves. "Where do you think you are going without a barrel sock?" I don't think I have seen anybody leave the field with a squeegee stuck down the barrel. If you lost your barrel condom, you can borrow a big ugly orange rental one. Nobody said it was acceptable. In fact, I have never seen anybody argue with the staff about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Blond View Post
I hear you on the barrel plugs. I had a tippman one, that would fall out of practically anything especially my 98c. THe only type of barrel plug I would trust would be the type that tighten up real good. I have a little one by cooper-T that is a piece of delrin with a knurled aluminum screw that you tighten down and it expands the delrin insert to make it near impossible to pull out.

If you want to talk about hilariously worthless barrel plugs, I have one for you.

The bottom silver piece of the expansion chamber on that 'cat detaches and fits neatly into the end of the barrel. But, it is also a block of sharpened aluminum that only fits loosely into every barrel I own. I sold the Thundercat a year back or so and the expansion chamber with it. A shame, really.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Apart from pain. And maybe humiliation and obviously death. And failure. But apart from fear, pain and humiliation, failure and the unknown and death we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Who’s with me?

-Arnold J. Rimmer
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone