mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Looking for a new mask... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/229513-looking-new-mask.html)

Jordan 03-23-2013 11:59 AM

Looking for a new mask...

I currently have a Spectra and looking to possibly upgrade to a DYE I4. Depending on where I adjust the Spectra, my chin isn't covered much anyways - how little does the I4 cover? I'm a little tired of the width of the JT mask - still like it, but it looks and feels ungainly when I'm wearing it.

Any opinions? I can't seem to find anyone who's used both.

No Mercy Ever 03-23-2013 01:18 PM

I wear a Sly Profit for the most part, after having worn the Events (Around two or three years) and Specta's prior to that (Not be confused with Flex7's or ProFlexs). But I do have some I4's, and they pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum for masks. Everything covers my ears (Not that they are huge or anything) except the I4's. Be even they only leave the bottoms of my ears exposed. As to the chin, it is evident. I have a goatee, and you can see it clear as day, even at the relatively short length that it is (It's about an inch long, but used to be two fists long. Meaning, I could gather up the goatee hair in one fist, and have enough length for me to do it with my next fist and still have some length sticking out the bottom of the fist.). Not sure about how much my chin is actually exposed. But it is the smallest and lightest mask out there. I may start wearing it to play, but not sure yet.

Mr. Hick 03-23-2013 01:21 PM

Look at my avatar. The mask is almost dead on my jaw line. The spectra covers just about the same area. I'm madly in love with my I4's. I probably wont ever change masks.

Jordan 03-23-2013 02:29 PM

The only thing I think I dislike on first impression would be the lack of a visor - something I've grown used to on my Spectra. Plus I have a fan system on the Spectra that I don't think will swap over easily.

Any idea if the I4s have visors/fans available?

No Mercy Ever 03-23-2013 02:56 PM

I've seen people mod I3 visors to work with the I4's, but no I4 specific visors or fans. But then again, you can always use the Haber or other designs for fans.

skullcandy1993 03-23-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 2662861)
The only thing I think I dislike on first impression would be the lack of a visor - something I've grown used to on my Spectra. Plus I have a fan system on the Spectra that I don't think will swap over easily.

Any idea if the I4s have visors/fans available?

I put a set of the Ezcreation Fanz on my i4s and it works beautifully. Regardless of mask I need some kind of fan because of my glasses.

minimag03 03-23-2013 10:08 PM

I recently had to buy a new mask. It came down between the Eflex and the I4s. I went into the store preferring the Events because I had Avatars before and liked the lens system. However, the Eflex has a larger frame than the Avatar/Events but the duel layer of the thermal lens hadn't been extended. This left a huge black line around the outside of the lens...annoying. So I bought the I4s. I recently used them while it was raining in about 50*F temps with ZERO fogging. All in all, the I4s have been amazing for me so far.

ves206 03-23-2013 11:03 PM

I love my Flex's. But prolly switching over to Grillz with thermal's soon. I find the i4's not covering my jaw/chin.. But thats cuz im fat.. lol!

bassfisher 03-23-2013 11:16 PM

I'm skinny and the i4s did'nt cover my chin. I have several masks, but I always end up going back to my event ear modded proflexes.

Cunha 03-23-2013 11:19 PM

Masks make such a big difference in comfort when you are playing so its definitely worth thinking about them.

So far I have tried everything except the I4 which I just haven't got around to getting. It came out after I realized I would probably never replace my Flex / Spectra.

The main thing is ventilation. I adore the lens on the Profiler / Shield / Morph but I just can't breathe in the Profiler. Its literally dripping with condensation after a hard game of play.

The Avatar and Grillz were the same way but with less spectacular lenses than the Profiler. All of the above felt real heavy on the face compared to the spectra and flex7. They had less adequate ventilation and still didn't "wear" as nice in that they felt more like they were going to fall off when I shake my head around a lot.

I do want to try the I4. Protection be damned (except eyes and ears) I just want the best visibility and comfort possible. Maybe they got it right but from what I hear they don't breathe too well either, and if I'm going to suffocate I'm going to do it in the profiler because I can barely tell I'm wearing a mask (visually) when I'm wearing one of those.