mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I remember hearing that there was a "rifle" version of the 3357 back in the day, but I've never seen one. Basically a long barrel, and the crossmans-style shoudler stock.

I don't know if it was a rare factory version, or an aftermaket thing. APG and Paintcheck were full of similar upgrades for nelsons and sheridans. Could also be vaporware.
I think that was just a photoshop, on VintageREX, the picture looks like it, plus it says it's .68 caliber. It has a 5 CO2 turret stock, why go to all the trouble of adding that, when 1 CO2 cartridge will fire all 3 of those cylinders plus more 3 more cylinders. I know someone that worked for Crosman from 1980-2002, and he says no such thing was ever made by Crosman.

eBay 756+/0- Feedback
PBNation 164+/0- Feedback
M. Carter Brown 92+/0- Feedback
OVER 1000 ALL POSITIVE TRANSACTION FEEDBACK!

Last edited by acrewofone; 03-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.
acrewofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
but it do

Send a message via AIM to Bleeds Send a message via Yahoo to Bleeds

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrewofone View Post
I think that was just a photoshop, on VintageREX, the picture looks like it, plus it says it's .68 caliber, and has a CO2 reloading stock, which you would not need, since one CO2 cartridge will fire all 3 of those cylinders plus more (30-40 shots). Plus I know someone that worked for Crosman from 1980-2002, and he says no such thing was ever made by Crosman.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps9b5bc0e0.jpg
That marker was customized by Richard Guffey (it's one of the first posts in the Custom Projects / Custom Questions sub). Hp is talking about a carbine from the factory which never existed. It would've had the black Crosman stock that people are familiar with.

You can see the customized revolver near the end of the page. Homemade Guns

"There isn't much that I feel I need, a solid soul and the blood I bleed."
Bleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosplinter View Post
That marker was customized by Richard Guffey (it's one of the first posts in the Custom Projects / Custom Questions sub). Hp is talking about a carbine from the factory which never existed. It would've had the black Crosman stock that people are familiar with.

You can see the customized revolver near the end of the page. Homemade Guns
Oh yeah, I see it now, more information surfaces, makes sense. Though VintageREX uses that picture and posts it as being made by Crosman.

eBay 756+/0- Feedback
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I remember hearing that there was a "rifle" version of the 3357 back in the day, but I've never seen one. Basically a long barrel, and the crossmans-style shoudler stock.

I don't know if it was a rare factory version, or an aftermaket thing. APG and Paintcheck were full of similar upgrades for nelsons and sheridans. Could also be vaporware.
I remember this article from APG. I recall that the author had someone do those modifications for him. I'm certain that there was a picture of it too.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Good grief, it just became apparent when taking the Mark V50 apart tonight, that with its oversized cylinder, it's only a 5 shot!

(In the Model 38 pellet version, it's a 6 shot).

eBay 756+/0- Feedback
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Looking forward to watching the progress.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Looking forward to watching the progress.
Here it is so far!

I noticed when I received both pistols that the body halves were spreading apart at the top front. When they cut out the body for the big paintball cylinder, they eliminated the top front screw, as they cut into most of the threaded area where the screw was.

There was just enough material on the top front to tap and thread a new screw hole, to keep the top part of the body halves together. I also filled in the old screw hole in the body.

They also had to eliminate the original cylinder detent (it was inside the body on the lower front of the pellet cylinder). They installed a new detent system, drilling up into the body from underneath. The new cylinder detent is a large hollow screw, with a spring loaded ball on the tip. As the cylinder has no holes to lock the rolling ball into, all it did was drag the ball on the outside surface of the cylinder. You can see the wear line it made on the outside edge of the cylinder.

I decided to add small indents into the cylinder, for the ball of the detent to drop into and help lock the cylinder in firing position. I used a small tube inserted into the barrel and into the cylinder hole, to lock the cylinder exactly lined up with the barrel. Then I used another small tube inserted into the detent hole, that kept the dremel exactly lined up to grind the indents into the bottom of the cylinder. Between the 2 guns, the cylinder detent holes in the bottoms were drilled in slightly different places, so these little "jigs" got the indents in exactly the right places for each gun. This new sytem allows me to back the cylinder detent out some, so it does not put so much drag on the cylinder turning.

I've also stripped and repainted the frames, barrels and screw heads (the rougher looking one was especially tough to refinish, as I had to strip off every bit of paint on it, taking the frames down to the base metal). I rebuilt the valve and piercing assemblies (even though the Crosman 38 was made in mid 70's to mid 80's the valve/piercing assembly rebuild parts are still available). I also stained the cylinder to make it a little darker, since it was silvery on a black gun.

Now I'm just waiting for the paint to dry completely so I can reassemble and test it out.

eBay 756+/0- Feedback

Last edited by acrewofone; 04-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Looking good, very good

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

They are finished!

I not only darkened the cylinder, but also the ball chute, which is actually the exposed side of the valve. It looks good this way, as all the visible parts are black to match the black gun.

They only shoot at a velocity of around 205 fps. Unlike the 3357, which has a spring loaded cylinder detent that locks into the back of the cylinder, these have a gap between the air outlet of the valve and the hole in the cylinder. There is also another gap between the front of the cylinder and the entrance to the barrel, that is larger than the gap in the 3357. I don't see any way to lessen these gaps, just because of the way it is built.

The Crosman 357 Pellet Revolver shoots .177 caliber pellets at a velocity of around 435 fps and in the 3357 paintball configuration, shoots .50 caliber paintballs at around 225 fps. The Crosman 38T Pellet Revolver shoots .22 caliber pellets at a velocity of around 305 fps, and in the Mark V50 paintball configuration, shoots .50 caliber paintballs at around 205 fps. The lower velocity would not be a problem when they were being used as rental guns at Joe Survival Field back in the early 80's, as other players would be similarly equipped.

I also found out that most paintballs just roll right out of the cylinder and down the barrel when they line up, (todays paintballs must be smaller than .50 caliber paintballs from the early 80's). I only find a few in a batch that are large enough to stay in the cylinder holes, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of ball detent system. Also, when you tilt the gun up, the ball in the next cylinder hole rolls back out of the loading chute, so a detent would have to be on the cylinder, or in the cylinder holes.

They are almost the same weight as the 3357, and the trigger pull is heavier than the 3357. Because the trigger is deeper curved and very narrow compared to the 3357, this accentuates the heavier trigger pull. The Mark V50 is also only a 5 shot Revolver, while the 3357 is a 6 shot Revolver. While the 3357 can be tilted open to replace the cylinder with a loaded one, the V50 cylinder can not be removed and has to be loaded one paintball at a time as the cylinder is turned by hand.

Here is some pictures comparing the longer barreled Mark V50 to the 3357, it's about the same overall length. The 3357s weight is more towards the front, due to the large metal barrel assembly. With the V50s weight more in the middle and back, it actually feels more like you are holding a real gun.

eBay 756+/0- Feedback

Last edited by acrewofone; 10-30-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Red Headed Step Child

I figured out a useable ball detent system. I glued small strips (1/8" x 1/2") of clear velcro (the fuzzy side), into each cylinder hole. I installed the small strip at the top of the cylinder hole, so it might actually put some back spin on the paintball, and help it travel farther. It seems to work good, and keeps the paintballs securely in each cylinder. Now I just need to get to a digital camera and get better pictures for posting on VintageRex.

eBay 756+/0- Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone