mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lumberjack

I kinda like the way that looks. Very urban camo like.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

oxyclean, really? that wasn't a good idea... but the results are pretty interesting

try it on a gloss part next and see what it does to the finish? that will tell you for certain if it's attacking the oxide layer or just the dye trapped in it.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

For future reference dudes....

Just use a lot of warm / hot water in the sink. I use regular dish soap too.

You can wad up a paper towel and jam it down the barrel with a dowel, squeegee, or some felt markers or whatever else you have lying around.

Don't need to boil anything and it takes about 40 seconds.

PSA: Please don't use photobucket to post images. When you go through one of the older picture threads and find a lot of dead photo links, it is because of photobucket. They limit the amount of bandwidth your free subscription pictures can use, and then make the photo unviewable. Please use imgur.com or another free image host that does not ruin picture threads.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

a little late to the game, but did you try isopropyl alcohol and hot water?

anytime you use chemicals, and even boiling water, you will cause a chemical reaction. that's simple chemistry. it sucks for you, but if the barrel is threaded, then get a new tip or have that one reanno'd. if its glued, then you should be able to buy a boomstick from someone as they can't be bored for inserts, heavy(to some-but they do look great still), and there are 1000's of them out there. you might find someone who can separate the back and have this reanno'd, but then you are getting past the point of 'cost effectiveness', as it might be cheaper to get a new to you barrel.

but i'd like to thank the other people that had no other help for the poster, other than saying that people on PBN are as stupid as you make them out to be...

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-Swipe View Post
Eh it was just the tip, haha. I don't run the boomstick anyway, too heavy.
Been there.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Recball fanatic

Yep you ate the anno right off it.
Oxi-clean powder is rather basic and the Al2O3 layer is base soluble. Plus the percarbonate in the Oxi probably decolorized any dye left in the remaining anno layer.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem Daddy View Post
Yep you ate the anno right off it.
Oxi-clean powder is rather basic and the Al2O3 layer is base soluble. Plus the percarbonate in the Oxi probably decolorized any dye left in the remaining anno layer.
Yea.....thats what I was just typing.
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Shi Tamagutsu Ka

I thought OxyClean was just Trisodium Phosphate with some cleanser added.
And TSP is an oxidizing salt, hence the "Oxy"Clean.

Heating it up breaks the sodium bond and the salt boils out leaving behind what is basically Phosphoric acid.
I remember having to do exacly that in high school chem lab 35 years ago...
So I'm not surprised you stripped the anno.

Paintball "Gunk" is usually residue having two different components, PolyEthylene Glycol & Fish Oil.
The fish oil is a biological agent and can be dissolved with water.
PEG is a mineral based filler and does not dissolve in water. (PolyEthylene Glycol, not to be confused with PEG ~ Phenyl Ethol Glycol, often used in woodworking) The PolyEthelene Glycol is harmless, they use it in Maalox.

The only solvent that crosses the chemical barrier is alcohol.
And not just any alcohol, Isopropyl wont do it on it's own and neither will Methonal.
The best solvent I've found for cleaning paintball markers of all their residue is denatured alcohol, which is Ethanol (grain alcohol) mixed with just enough Mineral Spirits to make it poisonous.
It dissolves everything both water based & oil based and never touches the metal itself.

And seriously, there is never any reason to put any part of a paintball marker on the stove.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
HQPB.ORG

Did exactly that with an oven tray - had some bad staining so I sprayed it with oven cleaner and 5 mins later all the anodising just wiped straight off, oops!
Gadget_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Recball fanatic

Phosphates are not used in modern detergents. They act as a nutrient and promote algae growth (eutrophication) that removes oxygen from the water when the algae decay leading to fish kills. This has resulted in them being banned for household use for the most part.
Carbonates are often used now a days to provide alkalinity and remove calcium from hard water which helps the cleaning power of soaps and detergents. Some also use sodium percarbonate for bleaching as it essentially forms hydrogen peroxide in solution which oxidizes the stain.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone